New Guy w/ Questions - Page 2

New Guy w/ Questions

This is a discussion on New Guy w/ Questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Welcome to the forum. I have a Glock 27 and pocket carry it as a BUG. And as a primary. For that price you'd be ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Guy w/ Questions

Welcome to the forum.

I have a Glock 27 and pocket carry it as a BUG. And as a primary.

For that price you'd be crazy not to buy it.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

both the xdsc and the glock 27 are great guns. if you want a 9mm, then get the G27 and buy a lone wolf 40 to 9 mm conversion barrel; with glock 9 mm magazines... it is practically a G26. the barrel is about 115 bucks + shipping. even with the extra barrel, you still come out ahead..i.e., less than the cost of a new glock.

great deal for the glock.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

Glock, I carry one daily and own a couple different models (17,19,21sf) and I find them to be some of the most reliable and easy to shoot pistols.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

What? Is this a trick question?
    Get the Glock...NOW!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Raider39a View Post
    if you want a 9mm, then get the G27 and buy a lone wolf 40 to 9 mm conversion barrel; with glock 9 mm magazines...
    Raider beat me to it. That is a great deal on the Glock. Add a conversion barrel and a couple 9mm mags you've got the best of both worlds. Not to mention that you could always re-sell it at a profit if you decide you don't like it.

One other thought: you mentioned that it had night sights. They last about ten years. The half-life of tritiium is about five years (5.6 IIRC). So, they'll be half as bright after about five years. The age of the nights sights will affect the value of the gun a little, but not much. Even with plain old iron (plastic) sights, $325 is a steal.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

I think you answered your own question...... the most important part you said was....." it feels good in my hand." That being said, put it in a holster, strap it on, and skin it out. If your hand is not natural on it ( web straight to the back strap, middle of finger to the trigger, ect.) DON"T try to use it as your carry gun! Find you one that you can pull easy, fast, and consistant!

However..... it is a good buy!! You should at least buy it for trade bait even if you decide not to carry it! I like the .40, but its very "snappy" on the shot.
    A 9mm is a great gun for low recoil and this allows you to re-aquire faster. Also, for a CC it will allow you more rounds than a bigger caliber.

Ok....two down...... I'm getting the hang of this...... :)
    Last edited by ibesarcasm; September 24th, 2009 at 11:56 PM. Reason: My third grade spelling ability!
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

[QUOTE=Exodus:One other thought: you mentioned that it had night sights. They last about ten years. The half-life of tritiium is about five years (5.6 IIRC). So, they'll be half as bright after about five years. The age of the nights sights will affect the value of the gun a little, but not much. Even with plain old iron (plastic) sights, $325 is a steal.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info...I knew the tritiium does "wear out" but didn't know how long. Thanks to everyone for the info. So should I get the 9mm barrell, you're saying I'll need the 9mm mags, what about extractor or anything else to convert it? Thanks again everyone!

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    welcome and buy it
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Quote Originally Posted by Raider39a View Post
    both the xdsc and the glock 27 are great guns. if you want a 9mm, then get the G27 and buy a lone wolf 40 to 9 mm conversion barrel; with glock 9 mm magazines... it is practically a G26. the barrel is about 115 bucks + shipping. even with the extra barrel, you still come out ahead..i.e., less than the cost of a new glock.

great deal for the glock.
    Geez, it took 16 posts before someone brought up the conversion option. Everyone was so darn busy drooling at the price to give any REAL advice to this guy. By the way...excellent price.

VIP Member
    Welcome aboard!

You might as well get the Glock, it is a good deal. You may not know it now but you're going to buy a lot of guns anyway!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

From the price alone it is a slam dunk, you could flip it and make $100.....but I would keep it.....you can never have too many!

OK, hee is where I may get flamed for this, but I had a 27 and it was too snappy for me. I have other 40's but the Glock was too snappy for me....I just couldnt "get into it"...so I sold it. I have a 19 and a 26 and LOVE them....as well as other brands....but you said you liked the XDmicro 40 so go for the Glock and get another down the orad if you desire. Good luck.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Hands down get the G27 that's a great deal! Besides you can always get a Glock 26 9mm barrel and a 9mm mag and swap them out with your G27 setup and BAM your good to go.

So for under $500 you can have 2 guns!

Just throwing in my $.02! Good luck, either gun will do you well. :)
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Go with the Glock you will love it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Thanks to all...so I still have an unanswered question. If I get 9mm barrel to put on the 27 do I have to change out extractors? It seems to me that they might be a slightly different dimension/shape as the specs on the two calibers are not the same. Anyone know for certain? Anyone shooting a 9mm on their 27?

Just a bump...can anyone tell me about all that I have to do if I put a 9mm barrel on the 27? Extractor and recoil spring change out too?

A ball park price of doing the conversion would also be nice.
    Thanks in advance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links