New Guy w/ Questions

This is a discussion on New Guy w/ Questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello to everyone from the great State of Idaho. I've learned a lot from this forum (great place IMO) over the last few months but ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Guy w/ Questions

New Guy w/ Questions

Hello to everyone from the great State of Idaho. I've learned a lot from this forum (great place IMO) over the last few months but this is my first post. I'm not new to guns, I am newer to handguns, and now that I've got my CWL I'm seriously looking into a gun I can conceal (my 6" revolver won't do). I was thinking about a 9mm, possibily single stack as that would be easier to conceal and a 9 would be easier to shoot for my wife, if needs be. Also 9mm = less cost to shoot. Now my dilemma. I have a chance to get a lightly use Glock 27 w/ night sights from the county that I work for. It's a gun that the part-time (read semi-retired/retired DEA) detective was issued. He's probably hasn't put 400 rounds through it, just enough to qualify. So do I get it at $325 (yes I know that's a good deal) or wait for a 9mm. Will it shoot much different than a XD40sc? I've shot the XD, but there's not a lot of ranges to test guns around here. The glock 27 feels good in the hand, but I won't have a chance to shoot it. FWIW, I can shoot the 40S&W just fine, not worried about the recoil. Anyway, new guy seeking your wisdom...thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Get the Glock- Everybody needs at least one Glock. That is a great price.
    MN

Hey ntg-- welcome to the forum!

I'm a bit partial to the .40 myself, owning a G23 and all, so personally I'd freaking buy that 27 and run like I stole something--because that is a fantastic price for that firearm. I haven't fired the 27 before but found from other forum members that the recoil isn't too serious, and if it is you can go ahead and get a pinky extension for the magazine if you like.

You can very easily conceal a 27 with a good IWB (I know some that pocket carry it but not what I'd do) so that shouldn't steer ya away from this one.

At the very least, you could turn a good profit on this one if you don't like it...
    CZ P-06
    Glock 23 OD with CT laser
    S&W 642

325$! I'd jump on it.
    Like 'glockstock' said...if worse came to worse you could always turn around a make a few dollars on it.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Thanks for the input. I know it's a screaming deal. Has anyone had experience shooting the 27 and the XD40sc that can tell me their impressions and what they felt the differences are?

Maybe I'll look into trading it for a 26 down the road...who knows.

I am devoted to my XD's but my gosh, get the Glock. Can't pass up that deal. And with an IWB holster should be easily concealable. Proper technique should enable your wife to handle it just fine.

I've fired my XD9sc many times and fired a magazine or two through a co-worker's G27. Not too bad to handle at all.

Welcome new guy. Yeah......get the Glock!

GO FOR IT good price!!
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by ntg View Post
    Hello to everyone from the great State of Idaho. I've learned a lot from this forum (great place IMO) over the last few months but this is my first post. I'm not new to guns, I am newer to handguns, and now that I've got my CWL I'm seriously looking into a gun I can conceal (my 6" revolver won't do). I was thinking about a 9mm, possibily single stack as that would be easier to conceal and a 9 would be easier to shoot for my wife, if needs be. Also 9mm = less cost to shoot. Now my dilemma. I have a chance to get a lightly use Glock 27 w/ night sights from the county that I work for. It's a gun that the part-time (read semi-retired/retired DEA) detective was issued. He's probably hasn't put 400 rounds through it, just enough to qualify. So do I get it at $325 (yes I know that's a good deal) or wait for a 9mm. Will it shoot much different than a XD40sc? I've shot the XD, but there's not a lot of ranges to test guns around here. The glock 27 feels good in the hand, but I won't have a chance to shoot it. FWIW, I can shoot the 40S&W just fine, not worried about the recoil. Anyway, new guy seeking your wisdom...thanks!
    The price that you have been quoted is $150+ below the price of a new one.

The Glock 27 and XD40SC new are close to the same in price. Although I own the XD40SC, I have shot the Glock 27 owned by my son-in-law. Both are reliable. Of course, both are double stack, but in my opinion both are a better buy than a single stack Kahr.

If you cannot get to a range to test the Glock 27, you seem to have enough knowledge to remove the slide, and do some basic inspection yourself.

To me your choice is a toss-up. [However, I do like the grip safety on my XD].
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

I'd say go with the Glock. IMO, You just can't go wrong with the Glock platform. It always works. The .40 is another + for CC. Good luck.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I am not a Glock fan but I would jump on that for the price!!!

Buy it or I will......

You'd be hard-pressed to pass it up at that price. And if you're experiences are anything like mine, you'll have a much easier time finding .40 ammo over 9mm anyway, so grab it and run before he changes his mind!
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Id go for the Glock due to price. I am not a .40 fan myself, always had 9mm, and the Glock 19 I had was a fantastic shooter. GET THE GLOCK
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Get that Glock
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links