Looking for a S&W 637 whats a reasonable price?

This is a discussion on Looking for a S&W 637 whats a reasonable price? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Never owned a revolver before, and after some research and handling a couple different models I decided I want the 637. I liked its trigger ...

Thread: Looking for a S&W 637 whats a reasonable price?

Never owned a revolver before, and after some research and handling a couple different models I decided I want the 637. I liked its trigger better than the LCR and it just seems right to have the exposed traditional hammer too.

What would be a reasonable price for this piece?

Also I keep seeing people posting about the internal lock usually negatively, I don't even know what an internal lock is?

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rainyday View Post
    Never owned a revolver before, and after some research and handling a couple different models I decided I want the 637. I liked its trigger better than the LCR and it just seems right to have the exposed traditional hammer too.

Also I keep seeing people posting about the internal lock usually negatively, I don't even know what an internal lock is?
    Which version of the 637?
    Smith & Wesson
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

You're going to find a variety of prices from different areas...I would assume them to be between $500-600...new.
    The internal lock is not something I would worry about, and I have never engaged it on my 637, nor has it caused any problems.

You really need to go to several gun shops and price them out. Some naming a price of $450 in TX isn't going to do you much good in FL.

I think that the 637 will serve you very well.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Go to Gunbroker.com and you will find sales price ranges for both new and used. There are lots of model 637s available.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Which version of the 637?
    Just the stainless finish cheapest one.

And thanks I'll take a look at gunbroker. Definitely want to buy one new tho.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I'll be at my favorite friendly fun shop tomorrow, I'll take a look and if they have one in stock, I'll let you know the going rate in the Detroit area, if nothing else for comparision.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Seems I see them at Cabela's on sale in the $450 range. I'd think that would be about right. Definitely not $600 or anything crazy like that.

The interal lock is the abortion that Smith has put on the side of their guns. There have been guns that have malfunctioned, causing the IL to lock, rendering the loaded gun useless and in some cases, unsafe. I'd try to find a no-lock if you can, otherwise don't sweat it or you can remove it. I removed mine from my 642. It's ugly more than anything and I don't like Smith forcing the lock down my throat. Maybe they would quit putting it on there if people who didn't know better would quit buying their new guns. Don't mean that as an insult, I wasn't referring to you in particular. Cheers!

Sounds like a removal might be the way to go. I assume lockless versions are hard to come by. Thanks for the info.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Get the one with the pink grips.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    In the Cleveland, Ohio area you can find them new from approximately $425--$550 + Tax. I would not be afraid of a used one. A lot of people buy J-Frames and then don't put the time in to practice shooting a Snub gun and picking the correct bullet weight that they can shoot well. I see men and women that bring them to CCW class and try to learn how to shoot a 15oz. gun with 158gr. bullets. It is not fun. If they don't start out with 110 -- 130 grain standard loads they get pissed and want to sell the gun because it hurts to shoot and they can't hit well with it. I like Snubs and have learned to like the hot loads but, in moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by rainyday View Post

My wife and I recently got a 642 here in central FL (St. Pete/Tampa) for $470 new (+tax and $5 FFL fee)...so $507 I think all in. That was from a local store, a very nice dealer so I was comfortable....
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

That sounds like a good deal. Unfortunately the Pensacola area doesnt have a whole lot of options. Jays gunshop is the biggest one around, and they seem pretty overpriced to me.

Sponsored Links