Sig P250

This is a discussion on Sig P250 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been thinking alot about a Sig lately. The P250 might be in my price range. Are they a good quality pistol? Are they ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig P250

Sig P250

I have been thinking alot about a Sig lately. The P250 might be in my price range. Are they a good quality pistol? Are they on par with a 220 or the other SIGs? How do they rate with a Glock or an XD? Thanks for the feedback. Robbie

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by southarkrob View Post
    I have been thinking alot about a Sig lately. The P250 might be in my price range. Are they a good quality pistol? Are they on par with a 220 or the other SIGs? How do they rate with a Glock or an XD? Thanks for the feedback. Robbie
    I think most of the Sig world has been kind of underwhelmed by the P250. This could be poor marketing by Sig or it could be because the so-called modularity of the gun hasn't really proven it's practicality.

That's not to say it isn't a quality firearm. Anything with Sig on it is worthy of consideration. IMO it is not on a par with the classic Sigs: P220,226,229, etc. It is as least as well made as the Glocks and Xds but has a completely different trigger feel being DAO and not striker fired.

If I were in the market for my first Sig I would take a hard look at the SigPro 2022. It is polymer framed and has high capacity mags available in 9mm, 357sig, and 40 s&w. It is also available from Bud's for about $450 with night sites and two mags. Great deal. And it's a Sig.

Look around on SIGforum for more info.

I've been looking very hard at the P250 as well, including reading the whole 107 page thread on SigForum, and here's what I've found:

They had early production problems with a batch of extractors, some 9mm magazines, and some of the springs (recoil and trigger system) not being up to snuff. That was 2 years ago, and it's taken a while to get it all sorted out, but it finally seems to be. These problems led to a lot of early FTF (light primer strikes), and FTE. Sig customer service has fixed all the problems without admitting any of them were widespread.

The latest guns produced seem to be problem free. Compact and full sizes are available, the subcompacts aren't yet. Conversion kits seem to be hitting the market in a trickle, and your best bet is ordering direct from Sig for them (be willing to wait a month or six).

Overall, the marketing really preceded the company's ability to meet supply/demand by a good year or two, so if you want one for the gun it is they're good to go, but if you want it for the gun you can turn it into, better to wait a few years and let the supply chain catch up to the idea.

Keep in mind, this is all internet hearsay, and I still haven't been able to find one to hold and fire...
    Last edited by Ananael; September 25th, 2009 at 10:31 PM. Reason: re-phrasing

Administrator
    I really don't think they equal a classic Sig pistol, and I think Glock is still king of the polymer pistols.
    Is it a good gun? yeah. But there is better.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Get a Glock
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

EW3
    I just acquired a SIG Pro 2022 (it was a trade for a Glock that I didn't much care for) and am very happy with it. They can be had for $480-$500 right now, and IIRC are what the P250 will/is replacing. I've not really heard much about the P250 to be honest.

SIG Pro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I really don't think they equal a classic Sig pistol, and I think Glock is still king of the polymer pistols.
    Is it a good gun? yeah. But there is better.
    Wow this is a suprize coming from you...... didddnnnt see that coming
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

I'd go with a Glock...but then Glock is my EDC...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

JMO, Sig's are top shelf firearms, they easily rank at or above the Glocks and XDs IMO. You can't go wrong with any of the pistols you mentioned. I'd say try to rent one of each at your gun range and put some rounds down range to get a good feel for each. Go with the one that you feel more comfortable with and shoot better. The quality of all the one's you mentioned are pretty much equal and it really boils down to personal preference. If I had to choose, I say slight edge to Sig, then Glock. JMO.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I just acquired an SP 2022 also. You can read my review on this forum: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ge-report.html

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 45XDCCW View Post
    Wow this is a suprize coming from you...... didddnnnt see that coming
    Why? I just call 'em as I see them. I like certain models, and certain brands do have more appeal than others, but I'm far from a brand whore.
    "Just blame Sixto"

i have the sig 229 and the sig 250, got the 229 first so i thought the 250 would be great. it is in no way like the other sigs. shooting it is very much like shooting a nice double action revolver. and you do have to let the trigger reset completely. but for some reason i thought the inter-changeability would be great. that has been a real let down. the value of the fire control ass. is only about 100 bucks, what i am saying is this, i have a sig 250 9mm compact, if i want it to be a sig 250 9mm sub-compact i would only save about 100 bucks over the price of a complete new gun. grips are about 50, slide ass are 350 and mags are 35 to 50. now if you wanted to have a 40 and a 357 sig that would only cost you a barrel, or if you just wanted a differant grip that would be cheap. but then sig came out with camo grips and threaded barrels but would not sell them as parts. that and good luck finding parts. if they wanted this gun to be a hit you would have gone into a gunshop, purchased the fire control group, then picked out your parts. and left a happy person. i bet what happens is somebody in the aftermarket world figures this out and starts making parts. that all said i really love my 229. the 250 was an education.

I'm not a fan of the P250. I dislike the trigger system and there are many parts and "kits" not available yet to market. So being able to have a .45acp and a 9mm in the same "gun" is not reality yet.

You would however likely be very pleased with a P229 or P220 if you're looking for a SIG. More money but a better trigger system in a proven & reliable package. That's just my opinion of course.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

To answer the OP...I have shot the p250 in 9mm next to a p228 in 9mm. They are not near the fit, finish or shootability of the classic p series pistols. The trigger is long slow and creepy. It is very accurate and I suppose you could get used to it. But in polymer I agree with Sixto...go Glock. Metal framed pistols...I think it would be Sig. Probably why I have a p228 and a G23. LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I can state that my next gun is going to be a Sig P250 in 45ACP. I have read some phenomenal reviews on it and had excellent feedback from friends that own the gun. I love it's light weight and slightly increased capacity on the 45, too. I have found that in my dry firing the gun (so no BOOM, just a click) the trigger pull is long, smooth and incredibly light and consistent. Exactly what I want in a carry piece. Glocks are too bulky for me, ergonomically speaking. I have owned three and sold them all. I love the modularity of the Sig grips, although I'm not really going to be seeking to swap calibers and frames. The ability to make the grip smaller for my smallish hands is a major "plus" for me. I discovered this in my H&K P30 9mm. While I really like the feel of the H&K 45 I equally dislike the feel of the H&K 45 compact. That gives the Sig P250 the edge there.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links