Defensive Carry banner

Second Handgun

3K views 25 replies 24 participants last post by  cmb 
#1 ·
I have a sig 239 9mm that I use for carry.

I want to buy a second handgun so I can switch on and off.

First should I gun another semi-auto or a revolver.

I have beed looking at the S&W 642 - 357mag

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Ray

#3 ·
I have revolvers and semi autos but the six that I carry on an unscheduled rotating basis just for variety are all semi autos. I'm not saying don't carry a revolver, I'm just saying your probably going to want more than two just to keep it interesting.

#4 ·
A 642 with 38Sp+P's is all you need in a snubbie... If you're determined to get a 357mag, look at the Ruger Sp101... Everyone should own at least one snubbie... :yup:

#6 ·
A 642 with 38Sp+P's is all you need in a snubbie... :yup:
Agreed. Remember, you've only got a 2" barrel. Practice w/ .38 special. Carry .38 sp +P.
You'll probably never let go of the j-frame.

:urlaub2:

#5 ·
It took a couple of decades for me to come around to revolvers. Now I own three of them. All stainless steel Rugers. I frequently carry one or two of them at a time.

#8 ·
The sig is a good gun. After that, just get whatever you feel like. There is no gun you "ought" to get. Well, except for a .22--loads of fun to shoot and much less expensive than bigger calibers.

#9 ·
My vote would be for a 642 carried as a BUG.

It's a great little gun, IMHO. Since you would now have the defensive autoloader and the BUG bases covered you could branch out a little after purchasing the "snubbie" and round out your armament with a good 4" .357 Magnum.

Then maybe get another autoloader. After that take a look at something else. Gee, I love spending other people's money. :bier:

Biker

#11 ·
I agree with the others, everyone should have at least one snubbie...the 642 is a good choice.:yup:

#12 ·
I would go for the 642. This little gem is a good overall conceal option. I carry mine mostly inside my jacket pocket in cold weather. Mainly because it can be fired from inside the pocket in extreme circumstances. I consider it a BUG to my EDC, but it's a good option to have when ya need it. :yup:

#13 ·
The choice is your, but I would recommend a smaller auto. Reason, for these times when you may not be able to conceal a large frame gun in say in church where folks hug a lot. Small auto allows for easier concealment of spare ammo. Small auto allows for more carry rounds in gun than j frame. All that said I would really like to have a 357 mag.

#14 ·
Me, being a wheelie will always pick a revolver over a bottom feeder every chance I get. I shoot them better and I like them better.
My stable consists of a J-frame snubbie, S&W Model 36 1.875" barrel, a S&W 686+ L-frame 3" barrel and a S&W Model 29 N-frame 4" barrel. And then there is the Ruger GP100 that I bought for hubby as a Christmas gift last year, then promptly commandered. I confess to owning a Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II, that serves it's purpose under lighter clothing in the summer months but just isn't my favorite. I prefer to carry whatever I shoot best and can conceal depending on the weather and wardrobe.

#15 ·
Comments

The S&W 642, which gives you 5 rounds of .38 special, is always a useful gun to have. It weighs 15 ounces and works well in pocket or ankle carry.

If you really want to shoot .357 magnum in a smaller revolver, I'd recommend something in all steel like the S&W model 640 (25 ounces, 5 shots) or the venerable S&W model 66 (32 ounces, 6 shots, 2.5 or 3.0 inch barrel). The latter needs a good belt holster but conceals easily, and the weight handles .357 recoil well.

#17 ·
I'd get (and did) a BUG sized weapon. A "J" Frame is just the ticket! :yup:

#18 ·
I have a sig 239 9mm that I use for carry.

First should I gun another semi-auto or a revolver.

I have beed looking at the S&W 642 - 357mag

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Ray
Switching on and off IMO is a bad idea. Carry the same weapon every time so it's familiar to you. Having multiple different firearms is ok, but for carry I'd say find one and stick to it.
I don't have a need for pocket carry so I may be biased in that way.

#19 ·
It doesn't matter what you get. Once you get your second gun there will be a third, a fourth, etc. It's like a drug and there is always something missing/better/more task specific needed.

You can't go wrong with a snubby, but it depends on what you want to do with it. You mentioned carry and while I have and like the Ruger SP101, it's pretty heavy. I have a Taurus 85 .38 with the enclosed hammer for carry. It's perfect for going for walks and the like since it's so light. For the range, I like to use a Ruger GP100 with a 4" barrel. It's a cream-puff with the light loads I make up for it.

The one thing I'll mention is that the SP101 I have had a rough, heavy trigger when I first got it. Dry fire it roughly 50 to 100 times to work the internals a little. Then open her up, polish the parts that appear worked and install a set of Wolff reduced power springs. Makes for an awesome gun and it's easier to do than you might think. I'd never done it before, but it's easy to figure out and only took an hour or so.

#21 ·
It doesn't matter what you get. Once you get your second gun there will be a third, a fourth, etc. It's like a drug and there is always something missing/better/more task specific needed.
You can't go wrong with a snubby, but it depends on what you want to do with it. You mentioned carry and while I have and like the Ruger SP101, it's pretty heavy. I have a Taurus 85 .38 with the enclosed hammer for carry. It's perfect for going for walks and the like since it's so light. For the range, I like to use a Ruger GP100 with a 4" barrel. It's a cream-puff with the light loads I make up for it.

The one thing I'll mention is that the SP101 I have had a rough, heavy trigger when I first got it. Dry fire it roughly 50 to 100 times to work the internals a little. Then open her up, polish the parts that appear worked and install a set of Wolff reduced power springs. Makes for an awesome gun and it's easier to do than you might think. I'd never done it before, but it's easy to figure out and only took an hour or so.
I know, I'm hooked...I'm up to 10 handguns...I've tried, but I just can't control myself!!!

#20 ·
OP - What are you trying to do? Get another gun in case yours is out of service? Then, I'd just get another Sig 239.

Or, looking for something smaller/lighter/flatter? In that case, a Ruger LCP is hard to beat.

Snubbies are nice (I have a SP101) but they are thick, and have limited ammo capacity and slow reloads.

Hard to make a recommendation unless we know what you're looking for?:confused:

#22 ·
Go with the 642. Great BUG or extreme hot weather carry. Load it with something like the Speer Gold Dots that the NYPD authorizes for their snubnose-carrying officers. Good luck!:smile:

#25 ·
Do you need a smaller gun because there are times when your wardrobe prohibits carrying the SIG? In that case, I'll go along with the recommendations for a j-frame.

Are you wanting another one so you have another "primary" in case your SIG is stolen, broken, or confiscated after a shooting? In that case, just go get another 239 so you have an identical spare (share the mags, holsters, etc.).

Do you want another one "just for the hell of it?" That's fine, but rather than another pistol, why not go take a class? Nothing wrong with collecting guns, but shooting what you have really well is more important.

#26 ·
I would look at my method of carry for the BUG and go from there. I really want a snub, but for my personal pockets, they print and are heavier and I have not been able to pull off ankle carry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.