Defensive Carry banner

Glock 27 or 30

25K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  maxwell97 
#1 ·
I have never owned a Glock, but I am considering one for consealed carry. I went to the range yesterday and shot the G27, but I am partial to .45, being that I have and like 1911's. I found the 27 to be very accurate, and I did quite well with, my first time out, but I found the recoil to be a bit uncomfortable. It is quite manageable, but after shooting for awhile it did start to make my hand hurt.

I don't know if this is due to the recoil associated with .40, or the small size of the gun. Unfortunately the range doesn't have a G30, I can shoot, to compare. I have read on the forums that the .40 is more like a snappy recoil and the .45 is a soild push, which is what I am used to with my full size 1911.

Any recomendations, or suggestions?

#2 ·
I've not fired a G27 so I'm not sure how it handles the .40. I do own a G23 and don't have any problems with it at all - either controlling it while shooting or concealing it. And I've shot my brothers G26 in 9mm and it is nice. I don't own one but have shot a rented G30, when I was considering what gun to purchase for CCW purposes. I found the grip on the G30 to be too short to grip properly and a good bit fatter than the G23 which may affect concealability (if that's a word). The recoil on the G30 wasn't that bad though, as you said a push instead of a snap.

Sorry I can't give you an apples to apples comparison.

#3 ·
I have owned and shot Glocks 19, 21, 26, 27, & 30. IMHO the "pick of the litter" is the Glock 30. Really soft recoil and it shoots like a dream with nearly perfect reliability. With a good holster and belt rig it is, again IMHO, the best carry gun Glock manufactures.

Reactions: scottync
#4 ·
My 2 cents on your question would be to try one of the Springfield XD's before you spend your money. I own 2 Xd's, a sub compact in 9mm and a 4" in 45acp. they are both great guns with alot more features than the Glock's. I have also have owned and carried Glocks but since I've aquired the Springfield's I'm a convert. Good Luck!

#5 ·
Not to throw this too far off topic.

I was/am also considering the Para Warthog. Anyone with comments on that? It was suggested that it may be too heavy, and possibly too small.

And

To Tony W, I used to live in Mechanicsburg, OH, small world.

#7 ·
I have both a 27 and a 30. Actually the 27 is my wife's gun, but I use it from time to time too. First, I say go find a range that does rent a 30 and try it out for yourself. No matter how much Net research you do, it does not replace actually trying it yourself. Having said all that I'll try to give you my take on the 2 guns for CCW:

G30 pros:
* .45 caliber (not to start a caliber war; it's what I've chosen to use)
* With a Pearce or similar mag extension your hand will fit comfortably.

G30 cons:
* Thick. If you have small hands this may not be for you.
* Thick, stubby double-stack mags. Tactical reloads can be tricky unless you spend many hours practicing them
* Not quite as concealable as other guns due to its thickness. If you are used to single-stack or mouse guns this will seem like a full size pistol. But it is definitely small enough for me to carry.

G27 pros:
* .40 S&W is a good cartiridge, as much as a handgun round can be.
* More concealable than the G30 IMHO. It is smaller all the way around.
* Lighter than the G30 as well

G27 cons:
* Snappy recoil. But with training you can get used to it.
* Slide is difficult to retract; it is a stiffer spring than the G30 due to the small size of the slide and the power of the .40.

I choose to CCW with the 30 because like you I like .45ACP. It is the gun that I have been most trained on and practice with the most and therefore I am pretty proficient with it. But you can achieve proficiency with any quality gun.

I also suggest looking at the XD, as well as Sigs, and any other quality firearm. Don't limit yourself!

#8 ·
I own many glocks and have shot just about all of them. The G30 is a very nice gun and I carry mine all the time. One advantage the G30 has over the G27 is you can now get the G30 with a light rail. If that is something that you are interested in. IMO the G30 feels better to shoot than the G27.

#9 ·
I'd probably carry the G30 given a choice between the two....if I really wanted to go small, I'd do the G26 instead of the G27 since the G26 is a bit easier to control.

Given other choices, I'd also opt for the G29 10mm over the G30.

#12 ·
I've list why i don't like it a lot here but mainly the recoil snap i by no means a recoil shy but in a glock or smith i find the 40 to be not controllable enough for my tastes

I carry a 10mm glock daily and find the more powerful round easier to shoot and shoot well.

With a 40 well a shot gun blast it what it looks like compared to a some what looks of a grouping i know lots like it and shoot it well but it ain't for me ..

Only time i have shot a 40 and shot it well is in a sig must be weight of the gun but then again sigs ain't for me being a lefty..

If ya get bored do a search for a thread something like maybe the 40 ain't for me i started some time a while back after i got a glock 22

Sorry if I'm rambling and its not totally coherent I'm under a lot of stress right now and have a lot on my mind

#19 ·
I own a G23 and a G27, and I've shot a G30 and a G36. The G30 is a wonderful gun, and if I could have only one firearm, it would be near the top of the list. I chose the G27 because it was more concealable and because I liked being able to pair it with the also-concealable G23. (Pairing a G30 and a G21 isn't quite the same thing.)

#20 ·
I have little to offer regarding the particular firearms, but just a quick blurb regarding .40 snap vs. .45 push. This is true because the .40 is a higher-pressure cartridge than .45 -35,000 psi max pressure vs. 21,000. A rough approximation is that a .40 will push about 30% harder against the gun than a .45, at max pressure, despite firing a smaller bullet.

This would also mean that the .45 bullet, being pushed with less force and having a greater mass, will take longer to exit the barrel. My guess is that this effect is what makes it feel more like a steady push than a snap, compared to .40 - it's applying less force but maintaining it for a longer time.

So I think it's likely that you would find a G30 significantly more comfortable to shoot than a G27 even if they were the same size, and more so since a G30 is larger and heavier. No guarantees, of course, every shooter is different.

The two rounds are very similar in muzzle energy, with a slight edge probably going to .40. The .40 being lighter and faster, and the .45 heavier and slower.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.