Defensive Carry banner

Sig P220 Compact or Springfield Ultra Compact?

6K views 19 replies 19 participants last post by  Walter Sobchak 
#1 ·
I'm looking to sell my Kahr CW-45 and purchase a Sig P220 Compact or Springfield Armory Ultra Compact.

I've heard great things about both guns, but am leaning toward the Sig since I own a full size 9mm Sig already.

I'm looking for your opinions on either or both of these .45 ACP handguns as a main CCW.

#4 ·
I Do know between the 2 sig there's not much difference in size but there is difference in accuracy the carry is not as accurate if I was to buy one I definetly would get the slightly larger 220 for the better accuracy.
Between the Sig and the 1911 that's hard..........general preference here. The Sig is going to have the edge on being slightly more accurate right out of the box unless your talking a custom 1911,The 1911 is going to conceal slightly better and unless your 220 is a SAO your not going to have the manual safety or that sweet 1911 trigger that we all love so much... but if you already have a few 1911's and no SIGS then the decision is easy,you definetly need a SIg in the collection just so you know what there all about! Sig is a great Combat gun,there super accurate and reliable . good luck

#6 ·
This is kind of like saying,"I want a large black dog and have narrowed it down to either a Rottweiler or Labrador." They look close but are not really the same thing.

I would go with the Sig. I have both and do not like 1911s or any gun with a safety for concealed carry. The "short reset trigger" for the Sig will be an improvement on an already fine trigger.

#10 ·
I once had the P-220 Compact and it was a sweet gun to carry and shoot. Must have been stoned or something to let it go! :frown:

#11 ·
I have come to the opinion that I'll not again personally CC any 1911 design with less than a 4" slide. The Springfield Ultra Compact is 3.5". So, between your choices, it's the SIG.

#14 ·
+1 from personal experience and seeing NUMEROUS other chopped 1911's give their owners fits. My minimum is actually 5 inches just like the original. That SIG will run and run. It would be my choice hands down.

#16 ·
I guess I have to be contrary. I'd go with a 1911. Sig makes a great gun, but I carry 1911's. I have one in every barrel length - 3", 4", and 5". I trust them completely.

This topic could be argued for ever (and it has been). You have to decide what is best for you. You have to decide what best fits your needs and your practice schedule.

Good luck. both guns are good guns. Just different.

#20 ·
Dissenting vote

I wish I still had all the money I have spent on Sigs over the years. I have a P220 Carry SAS, but I don't recommend getting one.

One very important thing to remember about Sigs is that the frame and slide cannot be replaced at any price. They have no part number, and they are simply not available from Sig. If anything happens to your frame or slide, or if it has a factory defect, your Sig becomes an $800 paper weight. They want you keep buying new guns - and they have not been real good about replacing defective guns lately.

One of my first Sigs was a CPO 229, and it had a defective slide. It shot well, but it completely ruined the fired brass because the breech face was slightly concave and it had excessive headspace. Sig would not replace it because the gun would still shoot, and they make no guarantees that the fired brass will be re-usable.

I traded that gun in (stupidly) for a new Sig, and it had galling on the aluminum frame, which they also would not fix. That was enough to make me swear off the Sig koolaid forever.

In between those two I bought a Sig 1911 Stainless Compact. It had several small parts that were obviously unfinished carbon steel and they rusted immediately. It went back to the factory twice because it would not feed any factory ammo. They sent it back to me both times with no explanation, just a couple of labels cut off from Golden Saber ammo boxes. Just another $1000 gun that they don't want to deal with.

I am not saying they are all junk, because Sig obviously makes some nice guns when they do it right - that is why I bought so many in the first place. It is just really aggravating if you are the customer that gets stuck with a rare lemon and Sig CS won't do anything to fix it, or even return your phone calls. Recently their business model has changed to spend a lot on marketing hype and adding dozens of different pimp gun finish options to their catalog. It's okay if you are willing to spend the Sig price on a disposable gun, but I don't like to think of my guns as being disposable. If I spend $1000 on a gun, I want it to last a lifetime.

To the OPs question, I would buy a Springfield 1911 over a Sig in a heartbeat. You can always fix a 1911. I also like the Commander length guns, but I have a 3" Kimber Ultra-Carry that never missed a beat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.