THINKING SIG P238 for wifey's new CCW

This is a discussion on THINKING SIG P238 for wifey's new CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went looking for a new CCW for/with the wifey on Friday, and had a chance to get a hold of the new SIG P238. My ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: THINKING SIG P238 for wifey's new CCW

THINKING SIG P238 for wifey's new CCW

Went looking for a new CCW for/with the wifey on Friday, and had a chance to get a hold of the new SIG P238. My overall first impression was WOW...nice.

It has 1911 styling (basically a COLT MUSTANG II clone) with SIG night sights & rose grips & 6rnd mag for $650 out the door.

But the wifey......being the wifey fell in LOVE with the "Special Edition" Bi-Tone with blackwood grips:

- $795!!

Now without getting into the whole .380 Auto as a defensive round debate - what's the "general" consensus from members on this new offering from SIG? I understand there's been a recall on some with a BAD safety issue. (typical new product growing pains I hope) and that SIG was addressing it.
    While I personally appreciate the whole "get her a 9mm" idea........ .380 caliber is what she's COMFORTABLE WITH, and since she is the one carrying/shooting it.......that's what matters.

It's going to replace her BERSA T380 (pos) that we're having some SERIOUS issues with and I'm gonna try and "deal" down my FFL on the $$$$ if we go for it.

Chime in with any opinions.

Thanks all!
    XD9sc w/CT Laser Grip
    SIGSauer P226SCT (New! w/22lr Conversion)
    S&W 5906
    BERETTA 92FS
    BERSA T380 - RUGER Single Six .22

2. Remove Ads

Let me start by saying I don’t own one.

I’ve been getting the standard comments. People who already own one are liking them and people who don’t are saying “It’s a 1911 in .380…” Lots of new guns have kinks and a company like Sig with make it right just as Ruger has done with their last few pistols.

I agree that it’s very Colt Gov’t Model and Mustang-esque. But I must say as far as .380s go it has to be a lot easier to shoot than an LCP or a P3AT both being tiny guns with long trigger pulls.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Have you rented one for her to shoot, yet?
    If she likes it, get it. If Momma's not happy...
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I love sigs and own several myself (p226 and p229). That being said, I have not handled the p238 yet but from what I have read and understand, it is a 1911 style firearm that is SA with manual safeties. It appears to be designed for a pocket carry type gun but I would be nervous to have a cocked and locked gun in my pocket and while carrying it with a empty chamber might be safer, it would require you to rack the slide before you could get it into action. I would be more interested in it if they would of put the standard sig double action trigger on it.

While I personally appreciate the whole "get her a 9mm" idea........ .380 caliber is what she's COMFORTABLE WITH, and since she is the one carrying/shooting it.......that's what matters.
    Damn straight!!! Nothing wrong with the .380 ACP for SD. Pick the right round (I prefer Corbon DPX) and it'll do the job. I haven't heard anything about the gun, but it looks darned good!

Quote Originally Posted by tdd78 View Post
    It appears to be designed for a pocket carry type gun but I would be nervous to have a cocked and locked gun in my pocket and while carrying it with a empty chamber might be safer, it would require you to rack the slide before you could get it into action. I would be more interested in it if they would of put the standard sig double action trigger on it.
    That's my thinking exactly. She planning to purse carry, with it inside a pocket sheath - NOT in her pocket.
    I'm fairly certain she's hasn't given much thought to the "cocked & locked" idea that a 1911 style pistol is/has. Her BERSA had a manual safety lever that she liked, and she carried it chambered 7+1 w/the safety ON (Condition 2) - but I could be wrong - She's NOT really a newbie, but she also hasn't been carrying very long. I'm assuming what her comfort level is.

The P238 has a safety....just not one she's familiar with - YET.

We've looked at quite a few .380's over the past few days (Beretta 84/Ruger LCP/Sig 232 & an off brand), and the only one she keep's talking about IS the P238.
    XD9sc w/CT Laser Grip
    S&W 5906
    BERETTA 92FS

EAJ
    Very pleased with mine, it’s accurate and reliable. No issues out of the box with FMJ or JHP ammunition. You may want to shop around; $650 is about $75 too much.

Quote Originally Posted by EAJ View Post
    Very pleased with mine, it’s accurate and reliable. No issues out of the box with FMJ or JHP ammunition. You may want to shop around; $650 is about $75 too much.

sure does look nice with those grips!!

Quote Originally Posted by tdd78 View Post
    sure does look nice with those grips!!
    That's the EXACT pistol we looked at. NICE!
    XD9sc w/CT Laser Grip
    S&W 5906
    BERETTA 92FS

Good choice IMO. That little Sig has caught my eye too, but I'm gonna wait for the second or third gen to come out before I pull the trigger on one. All the quirks should have been ironed out by then.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

There's a major difference between the P238 and a 1911 model. The P238 does not have a grip safety. Yes, it does have a manual safety lever, but in a pocket, I could see that lever getting pushed down -- making an accidental discharge all the more likely. It really doesn't take much pressure to set off that sweet single action trigger!

Don't carry the P238 in a condition other than cocked and locked. However, please make sure that you use a pocket holster that covers not only the trigger but one which also has a back strap that covers the left side of the slide (and the safety lever).

Just my 2’

My mom has the exact P238 you are considering and it is beautiful (stainless slide, night sights, black wood grips). Hers has run perfectly with ball and defensive rounds. She only has 300-350 rounds through it so far though. We got it for $595 + tax. My dad has the all black Nitron version, and his FTE about 3-5 rounds out of every 100.

Quote Originally Posted by MgoBlue View Post
    There's a major difference between the P238 and a 1911 model. The P238 does not have a grip safety. Yes, it does have a manual safety lever, but in a pocket, I could see that lever getting pushed down -- making an accidental discharge all the more likely. It really doesn't take much pressure to set off that sweet single action trigger!

Don't carry the P238 in a condition other than cocked and locked. However, please make sure that you use a pocket holster that covers not only the trigger but one which also has a back strap that covers the left side of the slide (and the safety lever).

Just my 2’
    +1! I don't think I would carry it as a pocket pistol either, even in a pocket holster. It's either on the ankle, or on the hip, for any pistol that's carried " Cocked and Locked".
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I would feel comfortable carrying one with a DA/SA in my pocket. maybe sig will come out with one that has the DA/SA trigger on it.

I have the same one as EAJ (rosewood grips).
    So far, here's what I think. When I hold it next to my Kahr PM-9 it looks a little smaller. Maybe a 1/2" in each dimension. But when I hold it, it feels MUCH smaller.
    I drop it in my pocket. It's THIN. Two fingers on the grip, pinky below.
    It's the easiest slide to rack. Not a lot of spring tension. Women should like that.
    When racking the slide with snap caps in the magazine, it never failed to load.
    I even rode the slide and limp wristed it, yet it didn't jam.
    I have not taken it to the range yet because I'd like to get some inexpensive FMJ ammo for practice. I stashed 4 boxes of Cor-Bon JHP before the gun arrived, but I don't want to burn that at the range.
    The loaded chamber gap looks really big to me. Easy to see the cartridge in there. I don't know it that's good or not.
    The finish on mine is perfect (Nitron) and the night sights are very bright in the dark.
    If it shoots well, it will be my new favorite.
    I paid about $575 (I think) for mine.

I don't know if I've fallen in love with the SA trigger yet. The safety is very positive (click) yet I'm not sold on "cocked and locked". If I found a holster with a thumb break (I haven't) I'd get that. Then a strap would be blocking the trigger. Now, I'd carry it with an empty chamber (I know, I know.)

The down side is the complete absence of reasonably priced ammo. (I saw an ad on Gunbroker for a 100 round box of WWB starting at $147. Say what?

Also it ships with one magazine, and they are expensive. (They are tiny, yet the same price as a 20 round CZ 9mm. magazine. What's up with that? I'd like two more. I keep an eye out for some Colt Mustang mags under $40.

I ordered a tuckable IWB holster from Bullard and received it in less than a week. It looks great. I may get the OWB one also. Great service from Bullard.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links