Suggestions in 22s.

This is a discussion on Suggestions in 22s. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SIXTO I'd buy the Walther out of the choices given, but I have serious reservations about doing so. May I ask why? ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions in 22s.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'd buy the Walther out of the choices given, but I have serious reservations about doing so.
    May I ask why? I'm going to assume part of it is due to the calibre, but I understand that 22 is not a very popular calibre on this forum. Is there anything else about it that you have serious reservations on?

2. Remove Ads

I have the Walther and when it is running it work great, but it is ammo picky, mine likes CCI mini-mag or Federal. It's a little odd for take down and cleaning, but I haven't had any issues with it. I heard lots of people have issues with theirs though, so maybe I just got lucky with mine. The only big issue I've had with mine is the safety walking to the on position when I'm shooting.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherlis View Post
    May I ask why? I'm going to assume part of it is due to the calibre, but I understand that 22 is not a very popular calibre on this forum. Is there anything else about it that you have serious reservations on?
    Setting caliber and self defense issues aside, all the pistols you have mentioned don't exactly enjoy the best reputation for reliability. The Walter is a little larger, giving a little more meat to work with in a malfunction drill. It is also the only one set up like a real combat pistol.... but its design intention is that of a plinker. With that said, I still think its the better choice of the given options for a self defense pistol.
    If I really wanted to buy a 22 defensive pistol, I'd buy a revolver.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I would go for one of these lill' guys it'd be fun to plick with the long rifle cylinder and a better defensive piece with the mag's. it'd be a better opt than most autos for than.
    “The Earl” .22 Rimfire Magnum Revolver from North American Arms

VIP Member
    IMO the 22 can't be relied upon for serious work, because the rim fire doesn't rim fire, on occasion. Of course, it's way better than nothing, but the 22 really excels at plinking and taking small game. In these pursuits, accuracy and velocity indicate a longer barrel and sight radius. I like the 5 1/2" bull and adjustable sights of a stainless Ruger target model. SD at close range with a powerful, concealable weapon is another subject. To ask one gun to do both tasks on a limited budget, I would probably look at the little Beretta tip up. My current solution is a 22 conversion for my defensive center fire.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

The Taurus 94 22lr is decent for the price range.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    I have a Browning Buckmark .22 which is an auto. This gun is fun to shoot and is accurate. Many a round has been fired through this little plinker. I saw one in the gun shop however I can't remember the price. Works well with an uncle mike's OWB holster.
    Last edited by scgunlover1; October 2nd, 2009 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Spelling
    SCGunLover1

If you're willing to go with a semi-auto, the Browning Buckmark is excellent. Great fit/feel and a lot of fun. Accurate as well. It pretty much goes with me every time I go to the range. The only downside is that the rear sight screw likes to come loose, but that's easy enough to deal with. I mounted a Tactical Solutions integral rail and sometimes mount a red dot. The Buckmark is what I would recommend.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I actually own and carry as a BUG a Taurus PT-22. Its fairly light, has a firm solid grip, and at 15 yards I can hit a coke can at about 75% of the time. The slide is really stiff so the tip up barrel is pretty much the only way to reload, on mine do to the fact I shoot it so much the slide has lightened up enough that I can rack the slide to reload but I also have been doing everything to lighten it up. It is picky on ammo, but IME any .22 firearm is picky to a degree. CCI mini-mags work flawlessly in it. The DAO trigger takes about 400 rounds to smooth and lighten up to really good shooting. The Sights are not the greatest, but accuracte enough to shoot with in its effective range of engagement. All in all its a good BUG, and fun plinker. Just watch out the safety lever can be a bit sharp and gripping it to high will cause it to dig in painfully into your hand when shooting.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I'm happy to hear some good things about the Taurus!!

CCI keeps getting mentioned. This is my preferred ammo for my 22 rifle (ruger) so that's good to hear.

Of the three choices, Walther, Taurus, and Beretta....

At the range where I work, I have seen some poor Taurus .22s. I have seen 3 that keyholed and leaded badly and were sent to Taurus to have barrels replaced. We have had others go back for other issues and if you do choose one AVOID THE "PEARL" GRIPS! They will crack at the screw holes after any firing. Wood grips only.

The Walthers are neat guns, and I own two as hosts for suppressors, they excell as that platform. The ones we have as rentals get obscenely high round counts. Thousands upon thousands of rounds. Much more than any normal gun would be used, and rarely cleaned. We have seen broken sears and broken hammers and broken mainsprings, and we have had two catastrophic failures with cracked slides. After all that, I would still recommend them for two reasons. First, like I said, the guns have been shot to pieces, more rounds than you are ever likely to put through yours. Second, S&W replaced them all promptly and without question.

I love my Beretta .22s. I have a couple stock, and one made up as a "training pistol" for my Tomcat with a fat set of wood grips to make it the same size as the .32 frame. I have never had a failure with mine and it has seen some shooting, allthough unlike the rental Walther, I clean mine and don't put nearly the round count through them. One lives in a little compartment in my car as my always-in-the-car-gun, and that says something about how I trust it.

Walther P22 or the NAA PUG.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Nothing wrong with a .22LR, and even better a .22 Mag. for a backup gun....my Ruger Single Six has done many a night stand duty with the mag cylinder loaded.
    I would look at the revolver rather than the auto in this caliber. Just my 2 cents and experience.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    All the defensive caliber controversy aside, sometimes a .22 is all you have to work with and in that circumstance something is always better than nothing. I've never heard of a situation where a BG scoffed at a small caliber weapon seconds before he was shot by one. When I shoot my .22 and see how it rips through 3/4 inch plywood like a hot knife through butter I would not want to catch one.

Bobcat

Bought this (lightly used) last week on a whim. Only took it to the range once so far but it fired 100 rounds without a flaw. Seems to be well made, typical Beretta quality. I found it to be more than sufficiently accurate at 20 feet and lots of fun to shoot. I bought it mostly as a range toy but wouldn't be adversed to throwing it in my pocket for a quick trip to the store.
    Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links