Suggestions in 22s.

This is a discussion on Suggestions in 22s. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, I'm going to be shopping 'very soon' for a small 22 pistol. I know those aren't particularly popular around here, but I'm hoping ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions in 22s.

Suggestions in 22s.

Hey all,

I'm going to be shopping 'very soon' for a small 22 pistol. I know those aren't particularly popular around here, but I'm hoping some of you have had some experience with these to at least offer input on the choices.. I am going with this size because I want something that I can use for: 1) plinking 2) tiny critter hunting and 3) ultra-tiny concealing for when I just can't do anything bigger and possibly the most common 4) BUG.

So I've been looking at the following:

Beretta Bobcat
    Taurus 22
    Walther P22

So you can see my price range with that, as well.

I'm curious of any particularly good/bad experiences with these, or suggestions of a different brand in the same general size/price. My personal brand experience thus far is limited to Glock and S&W, so I have no idea. If all other things are equal, I'm ultimately going to go with the one that feels best. (Of which I am leaning towards the Taurus)

I suppose I should note that I've tried out a few of this size in various calibres and find them to fit my hands pretty well and don't have any problem with their tiny-ness. I have small hands and strong arms. ;)

2. Remove Ads

Because of size, the Beretta or Taurus will make a better choice for your BUG, pocket carry (though not a great caliber choice). For a target/plinking gun, the Walter will be a better pistol. I know some have had trouble with the Walters, but mine has been pretty much flawless as long as you don't limp-wrist it. With CCI Stingers or Mini-Mags, it has been flawless regardless of who is shooting it. While it is extremely light, it may be a little big for pocket carry.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

In a .22LR I would ONLY use a revolver for defensive purposes. The only "duds" I have ever personally experienced were with .22 ammo. Sure, a dud can happen with centerfire ammo, but it is much more likely with a rimfire cartridge.

Actually, a .22LR/.22 Magnum revolver would make a decent choice as a BUG, when loaded with .22 Mag FMJ. You get a decent punch and more ammo capacity than with a .38. Just a thought.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

cmb
    I have a Bobcat and I like it, may even be willing to sell it. I have no issues with it just shot it again last week and it did fine. Honestly it is thicker than my Keltec 32 which means it is thicker than a 380 LCP type gun. That thickness is all in the grip which makes very easy to shoot, loud however for a little gun. It is definitely a cheap shooter since it is 22lr. I think the main difference in the bobcat and the taurus is the DA/SA (Bobcat) versus DAO (Taurus, I have read it is a long trigger, but get opinions of those who have them). The Bobcat has a small thumb safety and you can cock the hammer, I had never tried before but it seems you could carry it cocked and locked or load the flip up barrel and DA first shot safety off. It can empty the mag in a hurry and no recoil with the larger grip, groups are good, at close range. The Walther is a tad bigger if I am not mistaken and would seem to be a better critter gun but maybe not BUG.

Sounds to me like you are after two guns to me... a Ruger Target pistol bull barrel and a BUG (380 / 32). Personally I plan to buy a Bull barrel ruger with 4" barrel for future CC if I ever get to the age or physical condition where I can not carry a larger pistol, they are accurate and better than nothing with no recoil.

If you are interested in the Bobcat let me know, this was the first time I shot it in about 2 years, I may let it go to a good home...

If you want 'plinking' and small game power, look at this...

Ruger New Model Super Single-Six®*Single Action*Revolver (KNR-5) Overview

I have this one, a .22 and with the change of the cyclinder, a .22 mag.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That Ruger is way too long for a BUG :) But it sure looks nice, and sometime in the future I may get a 22 for the specific purpose of plinking and not SD at all.

The Taurus 22 revolver looks intriguing.. I had not really considered revolvers, mostly 'cause I've never shot one. A bit of research tells me they're generally a bit more expensive, too. Though perhaps, if found used...

VIP Member
    Well, I think you either want a BUG or a critter shooter!

Best compromise would be a 2" J Frame S&W in .22LR to me.

Maybe a S&W 317?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I have the Taurus 94 SS with the 4" barrel. The trigger is horrible and there really isn't much you can do about it. I installed a lighter trigger return spring and smoothed the surfaces, but no joy. I tried a lighter hammer spring, but then it wasn't firing reliably. I'd stay away from it.

Administrator
    I Like Beretta .22s.
    The best little pocket rimfire that I ever owned was a Beretta 70S in .22 LR.
    OK...granted that it was not super tiny but, it was quite lightweight.
    I ordered the rare factory FLAT grips (minus the yukky thumb rest) for it back then and I cut the "pinky rests" off the mag butts..
    It just ate everything and was incredibly accurate.

Try & find one in .22 LR these days though.

Aww, I'm disappointed to hear bad luck with the Taurus. Honestly I was kind of bracing to not hear anything good about it but was hoping otherwise. I went to the store a day or two ago and checked out the main choices in person. The clerk was extremely helpful and seemed to know his stuff. After watching me fiddle with the various guns and how I was holding them, etc., he suggested I try the LCP even though it wasn't at all what I was coming in for. I do have to say it felt a lot better to my hands than the other choices (just a better fit for my hands), but it's not the calibre I was looking for. So I've been kind of kicking that one around.

That Beretta sure is pretty. :)

I suppose with me being so indecisive it is both a very good thing and a very bad thing that I don't get paid for another week or so, haha.

I agree with the revolver choice. If you can find one on line, you can find a decent 2 1/2" barreled H&R 922 at a reasonable price. If you replace all of the springs (available from Wolff gunsprings) to ensure reliablity. The H&R revolvers that my wife and I own are quite reliable. If you are planning on using this handgun for CCW, replace the springs.

Scott

I had a .22 Taurus pocket semi-auto. No problems with it. Small and reliable, but still a .22.

One night a Rottweiler attacked my small terrier while I was carrying the Taurus. Terrier was on a leash, Rottie was not. When I tried to separate them, the Rottie decided to go after me. Fatal mistake. Three shots later, the Rottie expired. Owner decided he was going to kill me. Pretty stupid. Pointing the Taurus at his eyeball sobered him up. End of confrontation.

The wife and I each own one, and as a "fun" gun and a "plinking" gun, they are good. Some nice features include:

Tip-up barrel;
    SA/DA;
    Easy to be found;
    Easy to clean; and
    Relatively inexpensive

Drawbacks include:

Potentially picky on ammo initially;
    Need to be kept clean; and
    Not sufficient as a SD weapon

No experience with the others. Here's mine:

I have a Taurus PT-22. I love it. It is a FUN pistol to have.

Another decent pistol for plinking is the Heritage Arms Rough Rider.

I got the Birds Head with a 3" barrel. It's not the smoothest or prettiest pistol but it is fun. It comes with a .22LR and .22Mag cylinder.

Blue Finish - Heritage Manufacturing, Inc

Administrator
    I'd buy the Walther out of the choices given, but I have serious reservations about doing so.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links