S&W Chief's Special 45

This is a discussion on S&W Chief's Special 45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in the market for a S&W Chief's Special 45. Looking for feedback. Looks like a great little compact 45! With a little time ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: S&W Chief's Special 45

S&W Chief's Special 45

I am in the market for a S&W Chief's Special 45. Looking for feedback. Looks like a great little compact 45! With a little time and effort I will find the right one.

2. Remove Ads

cmb
    I read a review in gun tests that said "the price and limited capacity kept its rating down, but it points and shoots as well as any gun we've tried". It was tested with a G30, G39, SAXD SCHC 40, Taurus PT145 January 2007. DA/Sa pistol averaging just under 800 fps, 2" groups @ 15 yds, 280 ft lbs of energy with 3 brands of ammo. "Little heavy, least fel recoil, gun carried with least printing..." Hope that helps... their reviews are good most of the time, can be subjective at times and don;t always include all the data or compare apples to apples but I like it as a resource and guide...
    BigShrek likes this.

Thanks CMB. With respect to price I think I can find a used CS45 in excellent condition. I believe S&W discontinued that model back in 2005 or early 2008.

With respect to limited capacity, most of the compact 45s either have 6 or 7 round magazine. e.g. Kimber, STI, Springfield Armory etc. The exception may be the Para Hawg which has a mag cap of 10.

My impression is that the CS45 is indeed a reliable CCW. Let the hunt for my CS45 begin!
    BigShrek likes this.

Limited experience from me: I've only fired mine a few times at the end of a range session Saturday.

I had been thinking of getting rid of it due to its limited capacity, but I'll probably keep it now.

Compared to my XD-45 compact with the short mag in, they are almost identical in height and width. The XD is roughly 1/2" longer. Yet I give up 4 rounds with the CS-45.

The only advantage I see is the CS-45 will be easier to pocket carry.

I do like the way it shoots, but I'm not enthralled by its limited capacity. However, it does appear to be solidly built, I like how it feels, and I like its reputation of being reliable.

BTW, I found mine by googling "CS-45 for sale", and just got lucky. They are hard to find.

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    3rd. Gen Smiths are good guns.

I would buy and use a CS model without hesitation. You see a 9mm or a .40 around here upon occasion. The .45 acp, not as often.
    BigShrek likes this.

A nice gun that seemed to just lay there. I always regretted passing up a .40 caliber when I had the chance. Actually the .40 was discontinued before the 9mm and the .45acp. Get it and let us have a look, please.

Grady, although the CS45 may be limited in capacity, the stopping power of the 45 ACP makes up for the shortfall. I guess there are tradeoffs for everything. My 9mm S&W 6906 has lots of firepower with a 12 round magazine. Yet one shop stopping power on average is less than the mighty 45 ACP. I like to be able to say on a daily basis, "Uhm, let's see. What should I carry today? Wheel gun or semi-auto? Decisions Decisions!!!

Personally I think that the 3rd Generation S&W will be high demand becuase of their concealabiliity an of course reputation. I am glad that you decided to keep it!
    BigShrek likes this.

cmb
    Good luck in your search,it has a good rep, I will keep my eyes open as a peruse other forums at least every other day...

Thanks all! As soon as I acquire one, I will post photos! I am very excited on this new quest. By the way, Concealed Carrying my S&W 6906 9mm is a pleasure! I use an Uncle Mike IWB holster. Concealability is achieved with a nice thick sweater.

Concealed Carry is indeed a way of life.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I have one (S&W CS45) have had it for several years now. I sometimes "is" my pocket gun depending on what I"m wearing. Mostly Business casual or dress pants hold it fine.
    Great little gun. A little heavy I know - not a plastic - but that's probably why very little felt recoil.
    BigShrek likes this.
    For God, Family and Country!

Army Cop. I was in Huntsville AL. Very beautiful country out there. I believe the weight of the CS45 is about 24oz.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetpilot007 View Post
    Grady, although the CS45 may be limited in capacity, the stopping power of the 45 ACP makes up for the shortfall. I guess there are tradeoffs for everything. My 9mm S&W 6906 has lots of firepower with a 12 round magazine. Yet one shop stopping power on average is less than the mighty 45 ACP. I like to be able to say on a daily basis, "Uhm, let's see. What should I carry today? Wheel gun or semi-auto? Decisions Decisions!!!
    Yes, I have this discussion with myself almost daily:

"For my BUG, do I want 13 9mm's with 17-round reloads, or 7 .45's with 6, 7, or 8 reloads?"

Then it gets even more complicated because I don't want to give up my .357 BUG that I ALWAYS carry. But that's another story.

Personally I think that the 3rd Generation S&W will be high demand becuase of their concealabiliity an of course reputation. I am glad that you decided to keep it!
    They do have a loyal following, although somewhat limited due to the many other options on the market, coupled with the fact that most of the 3rd gens are not being produced any longer. I've read good reviews on many forums, also. That's one reason I decided to get a few. I have not been disappointed.

I'm pretty sure if I got rid of the CS-45, I'd regret it almost immediately.

I hope you can find one. If you continue looking, eventually you probably will. Good luck.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Army Cop. I was in Huntsville AL. Very beautiful country out there. I believe the weight of the CS45 is about 24oz.
    23 Oz empty;
    Product: Model CS45 Pistol
    For God, Family and Country!

At 23 oz that is one little amazing gun. I am now looking daily to see what's available. Prices are too high for me. On average I am seeing about $500. Thanks for the feedback.

I've said the same thing recently about a S&W 3913, the 3rd Gen S&W autoloaders are among the BEST values available today in "out of production" CCWs. Stout, servicable, reliable, accurate...at a great price. What more could you ask?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links