The one that got away

This is a discussion on The one that got away within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well the title says it all, the one that got away, went by a local pawn shop saw a nice model 36 in pristine condition ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The one that got away

The one that got away

Well the title says it all, the one that got away, went by a local pawn shop saw a nice model 36 in pristine condition for 285.00 went home thunk about, went back and it was gone, so sad. Does any one else have a story about the one that got away?

2. Remove Ads

Best way to avoid letting them get away is to not over-think things. You'll need to buy it on the spot next time. Plenty of time for regrets and/or explanations later. At least you'll have that good deal that could have gotten away. Don't beat yourself up too bad about it.

Had placed a bid on a Marlin 1894P .44mag lever-action rifle earlier in the morning. By noon, I had visited the local gun shop and was holding a pristine Winchester 94 trapper .44mag, for $395/OBO. I let it go, knowing my bid would be known before the day was out. Won the bid and have the 1894P but, when I next called the shop, I was informed the Winchester 94 had sold later that day.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I've got too many stories of one's that got away and too little money to buy them all.

Biker

Well, if this was about women.........
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

VIP Member
    I've never bought a gun that I later regretted. Even the Hi-Point has it's place in my world.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HKtexas View Post
    Well the title says it all, the one that got away, went by a local pawn shop saw a nice model 36 in pristine condition for 285.00 went home thunk about, went back and it was gone, so sad. Does any one else have a story about the one that got away?
    "a nice model 36 in pristine condition for 285.00"
    Huh, what is there to think about?
    You must not have Galloping Gunorreah as bad as I do?
    I would probably have injured my wrist in my hurry to get my wallet out of my back pocket.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I bid minimum bid on a Smith 340 M&P on GB with less than an hour on the bidding and no other bidders. Went back to check and a few minutes later somebody bid the buy it now...50.00 higher.

But...persistance pays off. I REALLY was jonesing for a 340. I kept trolling GB looking for one. A few days later I came across the SAME gun. The original bidder was unable to get the gun transferred and relinquished the sale. I emailed the seller and paid a cash amount to swoop in for the win.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by HKtexas View Post
    Nope, never happens to me. I'm a impulse buyer. I see it. I drool over it for awhile, then I walk away, usually 15 to 20 steps and I turn back around and buy it. It works for me, but it's hell on the budget.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

When I was mainly a hunter more than a shooter a guy had a Romanian AK for $265 FTF with 2 stocks, sling, and 2 boxes of ammo. I was just a young pup and talked it over with my dad (also more a hunter than a shooter at the time) and we hee-hawed back and forth about it, about how the accuracy wasn’t that great on cheap AKs. Ended passing on it and later buying a Mini-14. Shows what an idiot I was at the time. I bet I won’t make that same mistake again. BTW this was back when Wolf 7.62x39 was $89 per 1000.

Also a NIB Benelli Nova for $260. I don’t remember how I was so stupid as to talk myself out of that. One of those “I need to save the money for ____” moments.

Not so bad, but a hard deal to walk away from was a 4” Nickel S&W Model 29 with a sticker for $625. Figure I could have gotten it for $600. That was tempting. If it had been a blued 6” I would have walked out with it I’m sure.

I found a peach of a used S&W 3913 (non-LS) one afternoon in my favorite Gun Shop & mistakenly decided to think about it. What a Hamster-Brained move. It disappeared faster than Bigfoot.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    How about an M1-A1 walnut springer for $500 :(
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

The one that got away is my middle name!

Can't get them all, but I get the ones I can! Forgiveness being easier to get than permission!

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Sure have. Buddy in Alaska had a Dan Wesson .44 mag revolver pac with all the barrels in like new condition. Could of had it for $200.00 but cash was short as an E-5 with a wife and 2 kids to feed back in 85.

That revolver was the most accurate handgun I've had the pleasure of shooting.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links