New Taurus PT145 Owner - Page 2

New Taurus PT145 Owner

This is a discussion on New Taurus PT145 Owner within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by redbird I owned one a few years back trigger sucked.... Keep in mind that the earlier models were DAO. The newer ones ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Taurus PT145 Owner

Quote Originally Posted by redbird View Post
    I owned one a few years back trigger sucked....
    Keep in mind that the earlier models were DAO. The newer ones are SA/DA.

I'm not a big fan of DAO myself.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Here's a link to pics: Kodakgallery.com: Slideshow
    For God, Family and Country!

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Here's a link to pics: Kodakgallery.com: Slideshow
    Good Looking Gun Army Cop,

I have 2 of the version just before yours. Mine do not have the Heine Straight Eight's. They have the 3 dot sights that are mounted using allen head cap screws. Here are a few pictures. One has the stainless slide the other is black oxide. No problems with either and I have over 5000 rounds through them together.

I carry mine IWB in a Tucker Texas Heritage holster.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Had to do some tradin to get it - but today got a new PT145. Looking forward to some range time with it - may take a while tho...
    I'm about to join your ranks. Rather than the PT745 in blue, I'm going with the PT145 in stainless, thanks to the folks on here and at TaurusArmed.net.

-miklcolt45

Vet

PT145

Great, Congrats on getting one. I will pick up mine this Sat. Vet

I carry one. I've never had a problem with it. I ended up with it from the soon to be exwife, though. I originally bought it for her carry gun. Her natural grip was with all fingers on the grip, like normal, which allowed the magazine to hang loose in the frame. She had multiple problems with failure to feeds - the bullets would just slam into the feed ramp and not feed up into the chamber.

My natural grip on the gun, because of the small handgrip on it, is with my pinky under the magazine. I shoot it just fine that way and my pinky pushes the mag up tightly into the gun and I haven't had the feed problem she did.

We did send it back to Taurus and they replaced the recoil spring but it didn't help. They sent it back with three magazines, though. That was cool!

PT145 is my edc 90% of the time love it!!!!

I'll also wish you better luck with yours than I had with mine. I had a Gen 3 for about 4 months/~800 rounds when the trigger support bar broke. I sent it to Miami for repair, got it back 5 weeks later, and found that they had done something funky with the extractor so that it wouldn't chamber a round....sent it back again. When I got it back the second time, I couldn't get through a full magazine without a FTF, so I took a beating on it at my local pawn shop and traded it in for a XD SC. The PT145 could be and should be an absolutely great gun, and some of them are, and like others have said...some are not. Its really hit and miss with them.
    XDm 9mm
    XDSC 9mm
    Rossi R351 .38 Special
    Maverick 88 12 Guage
    US Air Force 1991 - 1999
    SC Grassroots Member

Here's what mine did... Look closely where the web of your hand would be and then think long and hard before you buy one of these guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratispho View Post
    Here's what mine did... Look closely where the web of your hand would be and then think long and hard before you buy one of these guns.
    I must be blind today. What are we supposed to be seeing? Or are you just referring to the knurling on the grip?

-miklcolt45

hairline crack, both sides, about where the frame starts going horizontal.

I am new to this site and am also a first time gun owner. I bought a used taurus PT145SS at a local shop about 2 weeks ago. Today I finally got to take it out to the range with my brother to shoot alittle before taking our CCW classes next week. Well, I was not pleased, I have heard good things about them, and I love the way the gun feels and looks, and it shoots real nice without being too much for being a small .45. However I repeatedly had issues with it jamming up while trying to load a new round and I would manually have to pull the slide back alittle to get it to load. It did not do this everytime, but I shot 80 rounds today, had 1 full magazine of 10 fire just fine, and every other magazine jammed at about twice out of the 10 shots. So needless to say I was unpleased. Any suggestions on what to try? I got a 1yr warranty from the dealer and they said Taurus would honor their lifetime warranty even though I am not the original purchaser, but I am unsure about that one. I wasnt too pleased with the accuracy either, but that could be just me, however I also shot my brothers XD40 and was pretty dead on. Any thoughts, suggestions or info would be appreciated. Also sorry to hijack the thread but was reading up on others experience after joining and thought this would be a good place to ask. Thanks.

DeathDealer,

What ammo were you shooting?

Did it jam on just one magazine, or both (you say every other magazine was jamming - so was it the same magazine jamming over and over?)

First suggestion, try altering your grip, if you can. I grip my PT145 with three fingers wrapped around the gun's grip and my pinky goes under the magazine. This is my natural grip because the gun is too small for my hand. Gripping in this way, my pinky pushes the magazine up into the gun further than if it was just hanging loose on it's own and reduces jams to none in my gun. If the magazine in my gun is left hanging loose, on some types of ammo my gun will jam about 50% of the time in the way you describe.

If it is just one magazine jamming, look and see how that magazine differs from the good magazine. Try to adjust the jamming magazine to match the good magazine. Maybe the bad magazine is dirty inside.

Taurus will honor the lifetime guarantee and if the dealer will send it in for you for free, it won't cost you anything. I sent mine in for repair and it improved a little bit, but I still use the pinky under the magazine grip and it never jams.

My PT145 is accurate enough - not for target competition but good enough for self defense.

Overall I am happy with mine, but I would not recommend it to someone who can't put their pinky under the magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathDealer View Post
    I am new to this site and am also a first time gun owner. I bought a used taurus PT145SS at a local shop about 2 weeks ago. Today I finally got to take it out to the range with my brother to shoot alittle before taking our CCW classes next week. Well, I was not pleased, I have heard good things about them, and I love the way the gun feels and looks, and it shoots real nice without being too much for being a small .45. However I repeatedly had issues with it jamming up while trying to load a new round and I would manually have to pull the slide back alittle to get it to load. It did not do this everytime, but I shot 80 rounds today, had 1 full magazine of 10 fire just fine, and every other magazine jammed at about twice out of the 10 shots. So needless to say I was unpleased. Any suggestions on what to try? I got a 1yr warranty from the dealer and they said Taurus would honor their lifetime warranty even though I am not the original purchaser, but I am unsure about that one. I wasnt too pleased with the accuracy either, but that could be just me, however I also shot my brothers XD40 and was pretty dead on. Any thoughts, suggestions or info would be appreciated. Also sorry to hijack the thread but was reading up on others experience after joining and thought this would be a good place to ask. Thanks.
    If I were a gambling man, I would lay a 98.99% chance that it's the magazines. I have a LONG thread over on Taurusarmed.net about this very issue with mine.

Does it feed okay with only 6-7 rounds in the mag but not with 10? If so, do this: load 10 rounds, then take the magazine loader and see if there is ANY play still in there. One of my mags had absolutely NONE. What's happening is that the spring is "crushing" the ammo up against the lips of the mag with such a force that the slide can barely scoop one off the top.

If this is what you're getting, then see this video:

YouTube - Taurus Mag Fix

I did this with my "bad" mag and I'll get to test it later this week. It definitely feels more correct to me now, though.

-miklcolt45

interesting....I just got the Taurus PT145bp....took it to the range and fired about 100 rounds thru it...took another Taurus OSS145 DS pro for reference firing....I have to say that the pt was good right out of the box at 35 ft......10+1 with 2 mags is a decent price....so far it's really easy to carry and since I have a fairly small hand...if fits well to me....
    as for the cracked frame.....I'd send it back to taurus and have them give you a new one...as for bad feed...what I do when I load the mag is bang the mag on the table a few times...sometimes the round goes in a little hinky and won't feed well...learned this from an old viet nam vet....just slap the mag to get the rounds to seat and settle down a bit....stops feed jams....I didn't have one jam the entire time at the range firing 200 rounds....
    so far I'm liking my pt.......

Steve

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links