New Taurus PT145 Owner

This is a discussion on New Taurus PT145 Owner within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I appreciate the quick replies. It was jamming on both mags. At first I thought it was just one so I marked it by placing ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Taurus PT145 Owner

I appreciate the quick replies. It was jamming on both mags. At first I thought it was just one so I marked it by placing a piece of tape on the bottom of it. Turns out its doing it on both. I was obviously loading the mags all the way up, but even when it got down to just a few rounds it would still jam. I did not try the pinky under the mag trick though. My brother shot it and he is pretty new just as I am, but he said he thought the mag didnt feel very sturdy in there, so I dont know, maybe thats it. I will check the play in the mags and also check out that video right now, and see what I can find. The gun was pretty clean when I got it from the shop because I took it apart and checked it out. After shooting it today it was pretty filthy, so I pulled it apart and cleaned and lubed everything properly, but probably wont get to shoot it again to try it for another couple of days. I was using Winchester 230gr FMJ in it for the range today and was planning on using them as well for my class, while maybe switching to something else for actual carry.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I'm reading all over the place that the frame cracking problem was only with the earlier models and that the newer ones haven't had it at all.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

DD...might wanna drop the rounds down to the 168 gr fmj...230 might be a bit hot for that gun...

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve201 View Post
    DD...might wanna drop the rounds down to the 168 gr fmj...230 might be a bit hot for that gun...

Steve
    The gun SHOULD be able to shoot 230 grain FMJs, but it will probably feed better with 185 grain FMJs.

The only thing I've fired from mine has been 230-grain in several different brands and flavors. It's flawless now with one mag and terrible with the other. I just did the snip on the bad one and it already feels better, so we'll see.

-miklcolt45

Just checked out the Youtube vids...I suddenly feel alot better about the gun in general. I am going to try to get both those little mods done in the next day or two and take it out again. I am thinking the "nosediving" is the issue I was mainly having but I'm going to go ahead and do both fixes anyhow and hopefully that will take care of all my issues. My buddy used to carry a PT140 and never had any issues with it at all, so hopefully I will be so lucky after this. I may also change out the sights eventually. I appreciate all the help with this issue guys. I always heard good things about this particular line of Taurus guns from people I know, but I did hear some guy at the range today and an employee badmouthing the guns, to each his or her own I guess, with the loading issue taken care of I would personally be very happy with it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathDealer View Post
    Just checked out the Youtube vids...I suddenly feel alot better about the gun in general. I am going to try to get both those little mods done in the next day or two and take it out again. I am thinking the "nosediving" is the issue I was mainly having but I'm going to go ahead and do both fixes anyhow and hopefully that will take care of all my issues. My buddy used to carry a PT140 and never had any issues with it at all, so hopefully I will be so lucky after this. I may also change out the sights eventually. I appreciate all the help with this issue guys. I always heard good things about this particular line of Taurus guns from people I know, but I did hear some guy at the range today and an employee badmouthing the guns, to each his or her own I guess, with the loading issue taken care of I would personally be very happy with it so far.
    I did quite a bit of research about this gun, both before and after I bought mine around a month ago. The main things I've picked up are:

They're shipped "dirty." I realize you bought yours used, but when they ship the new ones from the plant in Brazil, they're just filled with crud. Mine had a couple of lines of white grease (shipping grease?) along the slide. I've heard stories of some where the trigger mechanism was so gunked up that it could barely strike the primer hard enough to ignite. These aren't flaws, but they're also not something that a new owner would expect. My XD 45 Compact, for example, was flawless out of the box with no cleaning or oiling before I fired it.

The magazines are hit or miss. Some are right and some, like my "bad" one, are WAY too tight. I seriously wonder if someone might have actually put the wrong spring in mine. I recently bought a new factory mag and it feels right, but I haven't tried it out yet.

I haven't yet been able to rack the slide with 10 rounds in the mag. Seriously. I have to lock the slide back, insert the mag, then release the slide. But according to some folks, that's the proper way to do it in the first place (not inviting any debates here).

But I agree; I feel a LOT better about it than when I first got it. In fact, I've carried it a few times now and it seems to keep getting better.

-miklcolt45

About time i hear about the pt145 pro on this site, i have had one for about 1 year and simply love this gun.. no issues at all, no FTF'S, no jamming, nothing. This is my primary CCW.. Seems like alot of negitive issues about Tauras, once again not with me. Enjoy!

I had one a few years ago, had lots of failure to feed problems as well the trigger was awful. I thought it would be a great carry but I never could get my confidence level in it high enough to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by redbird View Post
    ....the trigger was awful.
    The earlier series had DAO triggers. The current ones are SA/DA.

I don't think I would have liked the DAO trigger, either.

-miklcolt45

I like my 2nd generation DAO version...which now sits on my night stand for home defense.

It does not like hard primers, e.g., cheap Winchester white box. The carry ammo it likes, and makes sense out of this short barrel, is the 160 grain Corbon DPX. Good penetration and reliable expansion. Accuracy? Good enough for it's intended purpose: Short range self defense:

It all comes down to going down the dark holes after monsters. Thatís what itís all about; when everyone else is huddled around the campfire, somebody has to go out and fight.

Finally got a day off of work and after doing everything else I had to do and hanging out with my son and wife all day I got a few minutes to modify the spring in the magazines for my pt145, havent gotten to go shoot it yet but will hopefully sunday morning, I am really hoping it takes care of my jamming issue. Thanks for all the advise and feedback guys, helped out tremendously.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathDealer View Post
    Finally got a day off of work and after doing everything else I had to do and hanging out with my son and wife all day I got a few minutes to modify the spring in the magazines for my pt145, havent gotten to go shoot it yet but will hopefully sunday morning, I am really hoping it takes care of my jamming issue. Thanks for all the advise and feedback guys, helped out tremendously.
    I went to the range today. I'm sorry to report that my spring snip made no difference.

However, I made a discovery that is totally blowing my mind.

Read on....

My Post on TaurusArmet.net

-miklcolt45

To the OP and anyone else that is interested. I got mine used and it was DIRTY. I fired some through it and I had one FTE or Failure To Eject and it was gritty when you pulled the slide. I cleaned it with some stinky Hoppes and it felt better. I then got some Gunzilla and it has been flawless and silky smooth!!! This stuff is magic. I have yet to find something better. It's like all of the products were deficient in someway and now I have found the perfect product.

Clean, clean clean. Your life depends on it. Use compressed air from a can or a compressor and blow out the firing pin /spring area after soaking the area with Gunzilla fo a few minutes. Big difference.

Here is an artsy-fartsy pic of mine!
    ďThe Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.Ē

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    care to repost so we don't have to sign up for another forum?
    "Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because the law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links