New Taurus PT145 Owner - Page 4

New Taurus PT145 Owner

This is a discussion on New Taurus PT145 Owner within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Stratispho care to repost so we don't have to sign up for another forum? Oops. I didn't realize that you had to ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New Taurus PT145 Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Stratispho View Post
    care to repost so we don't have to sign up for another forum?
    Oops. I didn't realize that you had to be signed in to view posts over there. Sorry....

Anyway, here it is:

My digital camera recently went bad. After making the discovery today that I'm about to show you, I went to Walmart and bought another one just so I could post some pics. No kidding. I had to share this.

To briefly rehash my other thread....

1. Bought a new PT145. It came with two magazines.

2. One magazine - *almost* flawless. Can usually get through 10+1 if the gun is freshly cleaned and oiled.

3. The other mag - total lemon. Can never load above 6-7 rounds without the first few nosediving.

4. Tried the spring snip on the bad mag as shown in the YouTube video posted here. It made zero difference.

5. Bought a new factory mag at Gander Mountain.

6. Went to the range today. The new mag I bought after the fact is PERFECT. Several loads of 10+1 JHP's and not a single burp.

So, I went by Gander Mountain after leaving the range and bought another new factory mag, the last one they had. It "feels" right, like the last one I bought there.

So I got home and started to clean the gun, which I still haven't done because I was anxious to get on here and share this.

So away we go....

I noticed a difference between the two mags I bought seperately and the two that came with the gun. When you press the mag loader down on the new ones, only the rear of the follower goes down. The front stays up top until a round is inserted. On the original mags, the entire follower goes down consistently:

NOTE: I'm NOT a pro photographer. I had to enhance these to make them clear enough to post. Black on black is tough to photograph properly.

Anyway, I thought this to be a bit odd. Upon looking closer, I made the REAL discovery....

The followers are significantly DIFFERENT:

The ones bought after the fact have a very skinny edge on the follower. The originals are wider and flatter, as seen in the pic. As a size reference, the new mag followers come up to a point that's roughly the width of a pencil lead. The originals' followers are roughly the width of the takedown pin. Also, the fronts of the followers are different, as you can see above.

Here they are laying side by side and flat. The new mag's follower comes up noticeably higher than that of the original. This is the case with both new ones and both originals:

So what exactly is going on here? I don't mind telling you that I'm a bit blown away right now. I'm happy that the new mag is flawless and I suspect that the one I bought today will be the same, since it looks and feels totally identical to the other good one. But I'm also seriously wondering if Taurus might have sent the WRONG mags with my gun.

So I have a request....

If your PT145 has been flawless, please post a shot of your mag follower.

If yours has been troublesome right out of the box like mine originally was, please post your mag follower, also.

Maybe I'm jumping up and down over nothing. Maybe this has been discussed here in the past and I just didn't know. Either way, I would love to get to the bottom of it.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Good Gun

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    No pics right now - it's still goobed up in the plastic bag from Taurus. Gotta do some cleaning up & then pics will be posted.

BTW - Where do you guys upload pics (what website) to post from?
    I had an early generation of the PT145. I liked it quite a bit. The only problem I ever had was that the front sight would fly off. Happened twice. The first time, they sent me the new part, and the second time I sent the slide in and they repaired it.
    As for the pictures, I use photobucket.com. It's a free service and pretty easy to use.

Springer, great pictures, and good mag comparison. Wow, what a difference!

I purchased a new PT145 MilPro last Saturday, and shot it yesterday. Both mags that came with my pistol look identical to the pics of your original mag...so, if they gave you the wrong ones, they gave me the wrong ones too. That said, after 150 rounds yesterday, only problem was the feeding of the second mag I loaded. The slide was in the open position; I removed the empty mag and replaced it with the second mag filled with 10 rounds of 230 gr. Fiocchi FMJ ammo. I pulled the slide back to release it and the first cartridge jammed/failed to feed. After I fixed the jam, I used the slide catch/release to chamber the rounds and it worked fine after that. Each mag was loaded with 10 rounds when I was firing yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle71 View Post
    Springer, great pictures, and good mag comparison. Wow, what a difference!

I purchased a new PT145 MilPro last Saturday, and shot it yesterday. Both mags that came with my pistol look identical to the pics of your original mag...so, if they gave you the wrong ones, they gave me the wrong ones too. That said, after 150 rounds yesterday, only problem was the feeding of the second mag I loaded. The slide was in the open position; I removed the empty mag and replaced it with the second mag filled with 10 rounds of 230 gr. Fiocchi FMJ ammo. I pulled the slide back to release it and the first cartridge jammed/failed to feed. After I fixed the jam, I used the slide catch/release to chamber the rounds and it worked fine after that. Each mag was loaded with 10 rounds when I was firing yesterday.
    This story is getting weirder by the minute. I'm reading over on TaurusArmed.net that they actually redesigned the mags a few months ago. However....mine has a manufacture date of 2009 and I have the original style. Another poster has one from 2007 and he has the skinnier type.

The two I bought after the fact are both the newer, skinnier type. They feed flawlessly, while the older types that came with it give me problems. A poster on TaurusArmed.net has the exact opposite situation; the newer ones won't feed but the older ones will.

Now for the piece de resistance.... The one I bought at the gun show on Saturday is the older style mag body with the newer style follower.

I also have to do the technique like you described: lock the slide back, insert a mag, release the slide. Then again, I haven't tried racking it with the new-style mags. I need to test that.

So honestly, I think Taurus is mixing and matching mag parts at the factory. It's all a toss-up as to what anyone gets right now.

-miklcolt45

Not to burst bubbles on these, but I certainly hope those of you PT owners are fully aware of the problems the PT line is prone to. You should not trust one of these things as a carry firearm...they're inherently dangerous to the user. A little internet research illustrates the many problems with the PT line...something that Taurus USA will tell customers "they had never heard about" to this day.

Many of us (former customers) are suspicious that the PT pistols we forced Taurus USA to refund on are being retruned to the civilian market with those same flaws existing...bad mags, bad barrels, bad QC, bad chambers, bad frames, and even shooting low and left at just 21 feet.

I personally fell prey to their crappy products and have bore witness to MANY failures of the PT line as well as their newer revolvers while volunteering at a local range. My response at a failure of a NIB Taurus product is: take it back to the dealer, demand a refund, and buy something better than a Taurus before their crappy product hurts you or someone you love.

Quote Originally Posted by diverdown247 View Post
    Not to burst bubbles on these, but I certainly hope those of you PT owners are fully aware of the problems the PT line is prone to. You should not trust one of these things as a carry firearm...they're inherently dangerous to the user. A little internet research illustrates the many problems with the PT line...something that Taurus USA will tell customers "they had never heard about" to this day.

Many of us (former customers) are suspicious that the PT pistols we forced Taurus USA to refund on are being retruned to the civilian market with those same flaws existing...bad mags, bad barrels, bad QC, bad chambers, bad frames, and even shooting low and left at just 21 feet.

I personally fell prey to their crappy products and have bore witness to MANY failures of the PT line as well as their newer revolvers while volunteering at a local range. My response at a failure of a NIB Taurus product is: take it back to the dealer, demand a refund, and buy something better than a Taurus before their crappy product hurts you or someone you love.
    Not so fast, my friend. There are also quite a few people out there who have several thousand rounds across a PT145 with zero glitches. With the new mags, mine has been 100% with a few hundred rounds.

The older PT145 series had a problem with the frames getting hairline cracks. I haven't yet heard of this with a newer generation model. My pistol also doesn't have the supposed "manual safety error."

Go to GlockTalk.com sometime. You will see people griping about the almighty "never fail" Glock. If someone were to go there first before buying a gun, they would think that Glocks were junk. They obviously aren't because their reputation is way up there at the top. Let me also say that I haven't yet heard of a Taurus actually injuring the user (Glock "kaboom," anyone?).

Recently on XDTalk.com, there was a guy saying that he had owned three XD's and they all gave him problems. That blew me away, but I can also believe it.

If you look long and hard enough, you can probably find someone out there who has had problems with a Ruger revolver.

Any mechanical device can fail. Period. Any manufacturer can also make a lemon now and then. Yes, Taurus has had their fair share of problems, but the same can be said about almost any maker.

EDIT: As for shooting low and left, take that with a grain of salt. When I first bought my XD 45 Compact, it did the same thing. Why? Because I was used to the linear trigger on a 1911, as opposed to the "swinging arc" type on the XD. So it wasn't the gun, it was the user (me). I've heard from plenty of people who say that their PT will drive a tack.

-miklcolt45

I just took my PT145 to the range last night with my brother who has an XD45. I was previously having alot of jamming almost 2-3 rounds per mag, and asked around on here and was pointed to the youtube video showing the "mag spring trick" which I quickly applied to both mags. I have not done the other fix as I was primarily having "nosedive" issues. I then gave my gun a really good cleaning. I was also having alot of issues with my gun shooting way low and a little toward the right actually. Well, I looked online about the proper way to shoot with the Heine sights and now I am pretty accurate up to 10 yards with no issues. I believe it was all me that was the issue. On the jamming issue out of about 120 rounds i shot yesterday I probably had about 10 or less that actually jammed by nosediving into the ramp, a slight tug on the slide and it would finish the load fine. I ran plent of mags yesterday with no jams as well. It seemed that If I used the loader that came with the gun instead of doing it by hand I had far less jams, did have a few, but most all of them were on the mags I loaded by hand. All in all its still not perfect, but I am alot happier with it so far. If I could find some new mags somewhere and just pick those up that may take care of it completely, because I believe it is a great gun with really horrible magazines, and thats about it. Again thanks for all the help I received and thanks for listening. We will continue to see how it does in the future. I am taking my CCW classes this weekend with range time on sunday so Ill see how it does there after another good cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathDealer View Post
    I If I could find some new mags somewhere and just pick those up that may take care of it completely, because I believe it is a great gun with really horrible magazines, and thats about it.
    That about sums it up. I now have three factory mags I bought after the fact. I've shot with two of them and they're flawless, and I'll try the third one as soon as I can.

I bought two of the three at Gander Mountain and one at a gun show. Gander is overpriced, but since there's a shortage of Taurus mags these days it was worth it to me.

-miklcolt45

People have been saying it for quite a while now: "any Taurus you buy, will either work and be very reliable, or will be a piece of junk". I own a PT 145 Millenium PRO, and I have never had any issues with the DA , FTE's or any FTF's. I did however had a major problem with a PT 111 by Taurus. The DA would not fire ANY 9mm rounds I would feed it, I tried all types of ammo just to make sure. After sending it to Taurus and waiting 6 months, I was surprised to find that the problem was not fixed. Customer service was no help either, and they wante me to send it back again. Not willing to wait another 6 months, I sold it to a pawn shop for $145 just to get it off my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzman View Post
    People have been saying it for quite a while now: "any Taurus you buy, will either work and be very reliable, or will be a piece of junk".
    Mine went from the latter to the former. When I first got it a few weeks ago, it was a jam-o-matic. Then I took a chance and bought a new factory Taurus mag from Gander Mountain. Flawless. So I went back and they had one left. I bought it, then went to the range the next day. It is also flawless. Last Saturday, I picked up another one at the gun show but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

See my post in the last page or so with the pictures of the differences in the old vs. new style mags.

-miklcolt45

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links