Is the Glock G27 for me? - Page 2

Is the Glock G27 for me?

This is a discussion on Is the Glock G27 for me? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The G27 is a good choice, if your hand fits it. The G23 is easier to hold and shoot and is a great all around ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The G27 is a good choice, if your hand fits it. The G23 is easier to hold and shoot and is a great all around gun.

+1 on the "One stop shot" don't count on it. The Glock 27 is a good choice for CC. I would suggest getting yourself a good carry holster and a spare mag, and you should be good to go.

As far as the 9mm goes, with the proper round selection and a good platform to launch it from(G26), IMO offers a relatively close alternative in defensive value as the larger calibers, and you should be able to have a higher round count as the trade off. IMO, Any round that can deliver 400fp of energy is gonna be an effective defensive load for self defense.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

ntg
    I'm in a similar boat. The 27 is good in size for concealing, but snappy, but not uncontrolable to me. You'll have quicker followup shots (and more) with a 9mm. I've now tried a XD9sc, XD40sc, XD40 4", a Glock 19, a FNP9, a PX4 in 9, and a XDm40, and I honestly like the XD9sc the most. You get 13 rounds in a sub compact, it's quite accurate, and it points really well. Glocks are nice but don't point as good for me.
    As for Ruger, have you looked at the SR9 (their only model I'm seriously interested in)? Tons of capacity and thin, but it is fullsize for length and height so concealing wouldn't be as easy. I wish they'd make a SR9sc...I'd really like to try one if they did. My two bits...maybe they'll help.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    One of my co-workers shots someone eight times with 10mm from a Delta Elite, and all the hits were quite good centralized torso hits. The bad guy died, but he managed to stay mobile for quite a while, managing to crawl out a window and out onto the grass. FORGET the flawed concept of one-shot stops! (It was not "mild" 10mm ammo; IIRC, it was the hot Norma stuff.) Stopping power is a big white Crown Vic with a big "tactical black" push bumper, at 30+ MPH.

Realistically, and particularly from short-barreled guns, everything from .38 +P to .45 ACP will have largely equivalent ability to cause damage inside a human body. I got away from Glocks about five years ago, due to an ill fit in my hands, and the mushy trigger, but if I had to go Glock again, I would rather them be 9mm than .40 S&W. Glock built its excellent reputation with the 9mm, and Glocks so chambered last longer. The .40 Glocks are more likely to be drama queens, including one of mine. (I am not saying ALL .40 Glocks have problems, just that 9mm Glocks are a better choice. I was, and still am, mandated to use .40 autos for 50+ hours a week.)

just find the largest caliber you can carry concealed and shoot accurately and well. Go to a range or find some buddies with the gun's that your looking at and go to the range and practice with them. You need to find the right gun/caliber that's what's best for YOU. Good luck.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

I have both the G23 and G27, the 27 is not much different size wise as far as I am concerned. I have no problem concealing either in a cheap IWB holster. If you get the 27 get finger extensions for all your mags.
    Show off your gun collection to your friends, show your Glock to your enemies.

I had the same questions a year ago. Bought a G27 (to upgrade my G26 9mm). Same exact size, just more ooomph. On a lark, I switched the .40 S&W barrel for the .357 SIG barrel and never went back.

The 180-gr .40s had more flip for my liking. The .357 SIG 125-gr more closely resembled the G26 easy shooting. They clearly had more backward push and were "hotter" but much less flip. When I realized that they closely paralleled .357 Mag ballistics I stayed with it.

I have a G23, and a G27.. I find the G27 to be an ideal carry for me (Based on my body/build). Both have the same recoil, and manageability to me. Go out and try them both to see what you like.. Best of luck on your choice..

--I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

For larger hands, the G27 is not as comfortable with the short grip. The SA XD Subcompact has a SLIGHTLY longer grip, but if your hands are large, it probably won't matter either way. First thing I'd do is hold each at a gun store and see how it feels in your hand. Then rent one or borrow one to fire at a range and see what you think.

Glock makes a great gun. I personally prefer the XD, but they are basically the same gun.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

I just picked my G27 up this past wednesday! It's an excellent shooter. It fits my hands perfectly with or without a pearce grip extension. The recoil really isn't as bad as people made me think because it's a subcompact. But i will admit it is slightly snappier. This handgun is perfect right out of the box. You're headed in the right direction with a glock. I'de highly reccommend it over the G26 simply because you get more firepower in a handgun of proportional sizes, and weights. Either way u can't go wrong. I'm not bashing the 9mm
    "Shotgun bullets are bad for your health"
    -Ice Cube

No one has mentioned the Glock-36...it has the smallest grip of all the Glocks.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Go with the Glock 27. I have been very happy with mine.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    The idea of a one shot stop is a myth. There is a very good chance that it will take multiple rounds from ANY handgun to bring a attacker down. As far as the Glock 27 goes I personally find .40 cal coming out of a sub compact polymer pistol a bit snappy for tastes. Your best bet would be to try to rent or borrow one to see how you shoot it.
    I agree totally. I have seen a ton of people talk bad about my 9mm's while they shot a 40 cal and come up with a case of CHS (Can't Hit Shat)
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I don't feel undergunned when I have my G19 in 9mm with me. However, I do carry my 27 most of the time off-duty as my duty gun is a 23. The 23 is not hard to conceal, but the 27 is ABSOLUTELY easier to conceal. I have no problem shooting it with the flush 9 round magazine. I shoot the same qual course with my 27 as I do with my 23. It includes shooting at 25 yards. I could shoot an easier qual course w/ my dept w/ the 27 if I would like. It is from 15 yards and in. But I prefer the challenge and feel better knowing that such a small gun is still accurate out to 25 yards.

YouTube - Glock 27

Check out the above link. That is what a SUB-COMPACT Glock is capable of. This guy shoots WELL beyond 25 yards.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    I don't feel undergunned when I have my G19 in 9mm with me. However, I do carry my 27 most of the time off-duty as my duty gun is a 23. The 23 is not hard to conceal, but the 27 is ABSOLUTELY easier to conceal. I have no problem shooting it with the flush 9 round magazine. I shoot the same qual course with my 27 as I do with my 23. It includes shooting at 25 yards. I could shoot an easier qual course w/ my dept w/ the 27 if I would like. It is from 15 yards and in. But I prefer the challenge and feel better knowing that such a small gun is still accurate out to 25 yards.

YouTube - Glock 27

Check out the above link. That is what a SUB-COMPACT Glock is capable of. This guy shoots WELL beyond 25 yards.

I've watched several of hickok's videos before you posted the link. He's quite the shooter and awesome at distances. He's just a good guy who loves his guns.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links