Is the Glock G27 for me?

This is a discussion on Is the Glock G27 for me? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to defensive carry. Still haven't gone for my ccw, but will before the end of October. What I want is a small compact ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the Glock G27 for me?

Is the Glock G27 for me?

I'm new to defensive carry. Still haven't gone for my ccw, but will before the end of October. What I want is a small compact or subcompact that will fit my larger than average sized hand and still be concealable. I also want something with knock-down power. I'm not sold on 9mm and their ability to only have to hit someone once before they hit the ground. I've ruled out the Tauras, everyone I know that's had one has had major misfire or jamming issues and I'm not fond of the proprietary nature of repairs on them either. I looked into Rugers but they were to heavy and awkward. Any thoughts, folks?

2. Remove Ads

I'm in the same place, except my hands aren't especially large. I've pretty much decided on the G27, or G23, if I don't like the way the G27 handles when I shoot it. I'll rent one soon.

Quote Originally Posted by archimeech View Post
    I'm new to defensive carry. Still haven't gone for my ccw, but will before the end of October. What I want is a small compact or subcompact that will fit my larger than average sized hand and still be concealable. I also want something with knock-down power. I'm not sold on 9mm and their ability to only have to hit someone once before they hit the ground. I've ruled out the Tauras, everyone I know that's had one has had major misfire or jamming issues and I'm not fond of the proprietary nature of repairs on them either. I looked into Rugers but they were to heavy and awkward. Any thoughts, folks?

The idea of a one shot stop is a myth. There is a very good chance that it will take multiple rounds from ANY handgun to bring a attacker down. As far as the Glock 27 goes I personally find .40 cal coming out of a sub compact polymer pistol a bit snappy for tastes. Your best bet would be to try to rent or borrow one to see how you shoot it.

Have you thought about a G30? 45acp.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Dont think that the larger caliber will be one stop wonders. There are documented cases where BG's have had multiple, I think in one case 17 rounds of .40 fired into them and still was fighting.

In my local area, back in 70's we had what was called the .22 caliber killer. He killed each person with one shot, a well placed .22.

So size does not ALWAYS matter. But for what its worth, you can beat Glock Perfection.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Are you limiting your choices to Glock? Others are just as reliable, XD subcompact comes to mind.

Try em all out if you can. Im a fairly small guy with small hands and I went with the Glock 23. It conceals very well. I carry in summer shirts and shorts IWB with no problem. The 23 will give you more rounds and fill out your hand better.
    Glock 22 Gen 4, 27
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    The 27 is certainly a great gun, but if your hands are particularly large, you might prefer the G23 instead. I have both and prefer to carry the 23.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    G 27 is my EDC...
    Proud NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by archimeech View Post
    If you want 1 shot stop you will need something not a pistol caliber. Never plan for 1 shot and done or you're done.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Glock 30SF or 29SF, awesome power.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Try an M&P Compact in .40 caliber. For me, anyway, it feels SO much better in my hand, and the shorter trigger reach and more rounded grip lets me control the gun better than my old G27. I am much more accurate and fast with the M&P. Recoil feels sharper in the G27 than in the M&P, probably because of the excellent ergonomics.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

VIP Member
    It doesn't really matter whether you start with the G23 or 27...before it's all said and done you'll end up with both... Glocks are like that. I started with a G19, it only took a few months before a G26 followed me home.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    The 27 is certainly a great gun, but if your hands are particularly large, you might prefer the G23 instead. I have both and prefer to carry the 23.
    I have a 27, not a 23. But I agree with this post. You don't gain much in "conceal-ability" with the 27 (especially since most folks put finger extensions on their 27's ) over the 23. And if you have large hands, you will probably find the 23 more fitting.

Member: GeorgiaCarry.Org

VIP Member
    IMO the 40 beats the 9 (but not the 45) for effectiveness (on a pelvic shot,) and although snappy, it's worth the extra practice. Most of the recoil control comes from the pinkie on the front of the bottom of the grip. That's why the G23 seems easier to shoot than the G27, but there are extended magazines for the G27 that achieve the same result (at the expense of concealment.) I suggest using them until you're comfortable with a two finger hold. Shoot and compare with a G36, but don't try a Kimber Ultra, because for the same size, you get a 45 and room for the little finger, too.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links