Here we go again - G22s giving trouble

This is a discussion on Here we go again - G22s giving trouble within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I'm miffed. Everytime I get comfortable with Glock, something happens. It seems that a number of LE agency are having some serious problems with ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Moderator

OK, I'm miffed. Everytime I get comfortable with Glock, something happens. It seems that a number of LE agency are having some serious problems with brand new G22s. The problem has now been confirmed by a Glock rep that experienced the problem. Glock is presumably looking into the problem.

Some have tried to explain it as frame flex, too small of locking blocks, wrong tactical light, springs, etc.

But, think about it guys, how long have g22s been around? And they're still having problems with new guns right off the line???

If it's frame flex, don't the older G22s don't have the same frame flex as the newer ones?

If frame flex is the problem, then why isn't it a problem for all G22s?

If frame flex is the problem, doesn't that kinda point to a Glock design problem?

If the locking block is too small, isn't that a design problem as well. And it also sounds like a research and development problem, and how come it's just now showing up?

Some 65% of LE carry Glocks and a large number of them the G22. Why aren't they having problems? Or, do they have the problem and just don't know it?

Using the wrong light? All I can say is huh??.

First the phase 3s in g19s, frame rail breaks all over the place, now farily widespread g22 problems.

Yep, I'm disappointed. I just recently bought a new G17 and a new G34. I don't believe I have ever heard of one manufacturer having so many problems. Although, you rarely hear of problems in the 9mm line.

Ok, I'm a little calmer now.

Assistant Administrator
    True Ron - the 9mm's do seem dead solid reliable - 19's and 17's seem to go on for ever, like huge round counts.

It will be interesting and informative if this rash of problems is explained in detail finally, as right now it seems mostly conjecture as to the why.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    It will be interesting indeed.

It seems that one of the agencies that has been having problems with their G22s have now "officially" switched to the G17 and the ammo they are anticipating going to is Gold Dot 124 +P.

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    I can only speak from my personal experience, but I love my Glock 22. Works great, never even had so much as a FTF or FTE. I love glocks, rock solid performance. I hope they figure out what they are doing wrong. I agree, they have been making the guns for some time now, you would expect the older guns to be having the same problems as the new ones, assuming they did not change anything. I have not heard of a new change. Anyway just my .02.
    Curry

I have carried Glocks since they where imported and the G22 since it was released in this country as an LEO. I also teach the firearms portion of the basic LEO academy in my area. Having said that I personaly must say that they are the most reliable weapon I have ever seen on the academy range. We get to see every manufacture that is popular in LEO circles and I am surprised that you mention wide spread failure. Just what is going on with your G22?

Senior Moderator
    It's not my G22. It's a bunch of G22s that are issued by several LE agencies. I'm not sure what the problem is, but it's a malfunction that shouldn't happen.

They've eliminated the SOP of blaming ammo and the shooter, and conceded that it's a Glock problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    It's not my G22. It's a bunch of G22s that are issued by several LE agencies. I'm not sure what the problem is, but it's a malfunction that shouldn't happen.

They've eliminated the SOP of blaming ammo and the shooter, and conceded that it's a Glock problem.
    My mistake, I thought you where speaking from personal experience. I have not recieved any updates from Glock, I guess I will need to call them.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksan
    My mistake, I thought you where speaking from personal experience. I have not recieved any updates from Glock, I guess I will need to call them.
    I'm not sure they'll admit to this, but if you find out anything, I'd sure like to know what's going on.

Wow big surprise they have had problems with the g22 since day one that what ya get when you over rev a cartridge with too fast a peak pressure it beats its self to death

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Wow big surprise they have had problems with the g22 since day one that what ya get when you over rev a cartridge with too fast a peak pressure it beats its self to death
    Bud, I gotta say, that's really cuttin' to the chase. I don't think it can be said any better. And of course, you're exactly right. The G22 is really a 9mm frame and slide. That one's worthy of framin' as they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    Bud, I gotta say, that's really cuttin' to the chase. I don't think it can be said any better. And of course, you're exactly right. The G22 is really a 9mm frame and slide. That one's worthy of framin' as they say.

What can i say its well know i don't like the 40 looking at it how it performs and ya say same thing no wonder it beats its self to death the frame has been changed 3-4 times because for the 4 over what the 9mm need

Ya don't like the 40?

Well I love it!

My G23 is a .40 and you can have it when you pry it from my cold, dead. . . WAIT! I think someone's already used that line, haven't they?

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

nope ya all can kep the 40 short and weak ill use the frame for my 22kit

VIP Member
    If I had to guess, I say that the problems are regulated a one or more bad batches of G22's......I mean, Glock has produced several million guns of different calibers and configurations.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I have been carrying a Glock on the job for 16 years. I have only had two problems in 16 years with them. Both problems have been with the mags. This new problem has been known for approximately two (2) years. This is when we saw it. This problem is not a problem with the G22/23 it is a problem with the Glock 22/23 mag springs. There is dilemma when you put a light on the G22/23. The mag spring is not strong enough to put the rounds in the proper position when a light is on the gun. You get FTF. How do I know this? I/we use the G22 is our primary “raids” gun and we were having this problem when we had our M3 lights on the weapons. Glock sent us longer springs and the problem went away. The new springs are approximately one coil longer. With the shorter mag springs the guns did not give us any problems when the lights were not installed . I don’t know about the G17 and G19, they took them away from us several years ago. They gave us the G22 and/or G23. Come to think of it the only other problem that I have ever seen or had in a Glock was in 1990 when they had a problem with the G17/19 mags. And Glock was “On the Spot” in getting that problem fixed.

frankmako

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links