Interested in the Taurus Slim

This is a discussion on Interested in the Taurus Slim within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have been carrying my glock 19 for about a month now and as wimpy as this sounds....it's kind fo starting to wear on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interested in the Taurus Slim

So I have been carrying my glock 19 for about a month now and as wimpy as this sounds....it's kind fo starting to wear on me. It's fine when I am going to spend a lot of time sitting down but when I am up and walking around a lot it starts to get on my nerves. It's annoying enough that I have left it at home on a few occasions. (Yeah, I know, bad!) So this is why I am looking at something a bit smaller and lighter in the single stack variety.

I have it pretty much narrowed down to the Kahr CW9 or Taurus 709. I am leaning towards the taurus but would be happy to hear any other suggestions you may want to throw in. I considered the Kel-Tec PF9 but theres just something about it I don't like. It just seems "jagged" if that makes any sense.

So on to my questions. Does anyone know if pierce makes a grip entension for it? Also, for those of you that have shot them what was your general impressions? Whould you trust your life to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I am leaning towards the taurus but would be happy to hear any other suggestions you may want to throw in.
    I've been happy with my Walther PPS.

I'd like to see the Taurus in person though. The price tag is attractive.

i carry an xd9sc myself.....

but from the other posts on the taurus 709 i wouldnt have it over the glock... jmho from a non glock owner
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Have you tried a diffrent carry rig? I carry my G23 all day comfortably in a Comp-tac c-tac. Love it.
    Anyway I would vote for a Walther PPS or the Kahr. Just dont trust a new model pistol. I would wait a couple years on the Taurus to see how many bugs are in it.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Have you tried a diffrent carry rig? I carry my G23 all day comfortably in a Comp-tac c-tac. Love it.
    Anyway I would vote for a Walther PPS or the Kahr. Just dont trust a new model pistol. I would wait a couple years on the Taurus to see how many bugs are in it.
    Im carrying in a Pure Kustoms Black Op's pro. The rig itself is very comfrotable. I think the gun is just a bit heavy. About 30.5 oz loaded with 124g hydra's. I wonder if the glock 26 would be better. It's about 5 oz's lighter. Not sure how much of a difference 5oz is as I don't have a scale and dont have anything to compare it to.

No question that the Kahr is a nice gun - but at a significantly higher price. I've never shot one, but have handled one (a PM-9, not the CW-9) when I was doing my search for a carry gun in 9mm. It is a well constructed piece. If funds were unlimited, I might have bought it. But they aren't, and I looked at a number of other guns. I came to the conclusion that the 709 was a good balance of cost and function. It's well made, fits my hand as well as a small gun can, and has good balance. Bought it, and have put a couple of hundred rounds of various FMJ and HP ammo through it. I won't say it's been issue free, but I think the problems I've had (a couple of non-fires with Critical Defense and some mis-feeds with UMC) may have been ammo related rather than gun related. It's not a perfect gun, but if you read a lot, most of these small guns (including the Kahr) are problematic for some folks. I understand the 'don't want it in the first year' concern, but somebody's got to buy in those first years or the gun won't be around long. It's got a lifetime warranty, even if people have variable opinions about Taurus customer service. It suits my needs at price I can afford, and although I'm not ready yet to say I'd trust my life with it, it's been good enough that I don't at all regret buying it. YMMV.
    Slow scopes, fast cars.
    'Chance favors the prepared mind' - Louis Pasteur

Kahr Fan here. Small and powerful.

VIP Member
    I have a CW9, G26 and a G19. I have issues with my back, so it doesn't take too long for the G19 to become a burden for me to carry. The CW9 is slightly lighter and slimmer than the G26. It is a breeze to carry. Overall dimensions between the CW and the 26 are very close. The G26 has a shorter grip height, but it is slight. I don't know how much the CW9's are in your area, but I paid $399 for mine about a year ago.

I have started carrying the G26 more than the CW9, simply because I carry a G19 mag as an extra. My wife prefers the CW9 because the grip is slimmer and slightly longer.

Hope this helps...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I used to have a Taurus 357 snubby revolver.
    It developed hammer pushoff after a couple hundred rounds.
    Sold it.

I had a Taurus 9mm DAO for a while, until the safety became loose.
    Sold it.

I now own mostly SIG and Glock autos , and Only S&W revolvers (prelock)

Keeping them

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post

I agree with wormy. I carry a 23 in an M-Tac, and no problem carrying all day long. That said: If you are absolute in your quest for a lighter thinner gun, I would recommend the Kahr CW9.

Last month I picked up a CW9 at a gun show. Got it for $405 brand new. I did a lot of research, and wanted one for a long time before I actually bought it. I've read some great reviews, and I've read about some problems early on, but in most every case where there was a problem, it was fixed to the customers satisfaction, with quick service. I was pleasantly surprised that mine ran great right out of the box. No problems at all to report, and it's a real nice gun.

Taurus on the other hand has a lifetime warranty, but, go on the Taurus forum and you will note that the lifetime warranty takes a lifetime to get your gun back should you need that service. Guys report sending out the gun for repair and getting it back in 6 to 8 weeks, only to find out that they couldn't find a problem with the gun, or, the problem is still not corrected.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Administrator
    The Taurus Slim is a good idea, with an attractive shell... but the positives end right about there and so will I.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Have the PM9 and very happy with it.

Taurus 709

I do not own one yet, but I have shot a friends. I do like what I have experienced with it, and I do own other Taurus pistols that I also like. So I can probably see one in my future.
    "Some gave all"
    RIP MSG Kelly Hornbeck

taurus slim

I bought the taurus slim to carry and I took it to the range and I fired approx. 250 rounds through it, not once did I have a single problem. No jams or stove pipes. The firearm was flawless I think for the money taurus is awesome. I have talked to a taurus rep recently and the new revolvers they are having some quality control issues with but as for the automatic I love it. My wife took it from me to carry so I went and bought the karh cw9. The kahr uses all the same internals as the glock only in different places. It's a double action and fires smooth I think. They are put together very well ( ie. have to fire 200 rounds to break in the gun ) to losen up slide and other moving parts over all I love both guns. Taurus has never failed me and neither has the kahr

I have the CW9, put about 200 rounds thru so far. No issues, and I plan to pocket carry, it is so light, and VERY accurate. For me, with small hands, it is very comfortable.
    I also added a Crimson Trace LG-437 Kahr CW9-PM40 Polymer Overmold Front Activation.
    Roger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links