Accidental Discharge: What I can learn from this. - Page 3

Accidental Discharge: What I can learn from this.

This is a discussion on Accidental Discharge: What I can learn from this. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; holy crap! glad no one got hurt...let that be a lesson!...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Accidental Discharge: What I can learn from this.

holy crap! glad no one got hurt...let that be a lesson!

Administrator
    You can use a forensic laser technique.
    Buy a cheap pen Laser. CVS usually has them for $1.99.
    Insert it in the drywall holes and get it lined up through all of the existing holes and at dusk you should be able to get really close to the exact bullet path and possibly see where your bullet finally ended up.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I will never not press check again. I still don't know where the bullet ended up, but there were no LEOs or ambulances around afterward, nor could I find any further property damage. I think the bullet fragmented when it left the drain pipe.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Quote Originally Posted by mojust View Post
    I unloaded my 229, put new grips on it, dry fired it a few times, reloaded it and put it on the coffee table and watched TV for a while. Then I picked it up and dry fired it. Obviously I'd forgotten I'd reloaded. My bad. Fortunately nobody was home and the upstairs neighbors work at night. A round of Federal low recoil 135 grain went through three sheets of dry wall, the wood exterior wall of the house and through a drainpipe before it disappeared. The entrance holes were very well defined on all those surfaces and the exit holes were three times as big and uneven. I went outside and checked everything beyond that. it should have gone through the windshield of my car but it didn't. I checked the cars behind mine, the fence, the tree beyond the fence and the cars across the next street. No holes. I find it very disturbing that I had this AD, and am going to make sure it never happens again. Scary. I'm grateful no more damage was done and nobody was hurt. The house contains sound pretty well and no one called LE. Yikes. Now I'm off to the store for spackle.
    From your own sig.
    How we behave as gun owners is important
    It took some real guts to post that, buddy.

Years ago, I almost shot my cat that way, but I didn't pull the trigger. I decocked and pulled the slide and out flew a round. It was this moment that everything about firearm safety really sank in. Since then I feel this way.....Unload it, then unload it again, then just to be sure unload it again.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Learn to press check the gun, and do it every time you pick it up.
    The press check is your best friend. Do it until it becomes an automatic part of your manual of arms , as Sixto wrote, each time you handle your gun, no exceptions.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by cz75luver View Post
    mojust,

Everyone makes mistakes and no one likes to admit it so it really took some guts to say/write it. I'm glad no one got hurt.
    +1.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Anytime I dry fire my weapon,I unload it and leave the ammo in another room,I also check the chamber 2-3 times before I dry fire,the reason I do this is because almost 30 years ago I did the same exact thing,only I shot JR before anybody else did (Remember Dallas)then I had to go buy a new TV
    Poor old JR he must not have many friends. Glad the slug didn't go any further.

always think the gun is loaded, I all ways see if the gun is loaded when it is not.

You're very lucky, you could have been posting this from a jail cell.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome to the "hole in the wall" club.

I suggest you get yourself one of these:

Heres the manufacturer's website for rifle & pistol training barrels:

Training Accessories :: Blade-Tech Industries
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

You are lucky!
    ***Safety Rule #1 Treat ALL guns as they are LOADED***
    That was no A D.....You intentionally pulled the trigger.
    Stay Safe.
    Shoot Safe!
    Shoot Straight!
    www.mcsportingarms.com
    Kansas Certified Concealed Carry Handgun Instructor.

Thank God no one was hurt.

'Accidental'?

I agree with the others. I don't understand where the phrase "accidental discharge" came from. Negligent is more apt. In my opinion it should never, ever happen, period, no if's and's or but's. How can it? Accidental would be dropping a Glock and having it fire.

ALL guns are ALWAYS loaded. No exceptions.

Rack the slide multiple times. Lock the slide, check the chamber, then rack the slide again. How could any weapon possibly fire after this check? Like Nigel Tufnel said, "It's like, how much more black could this be and the answer is, none.".

Then again, if INSTRUCTORS have done this, I guess it could happen to me. Yeah, took some cojones to post this thread. Thanks for the warning.

VIP Member
    Mojust, that is such a familiar story, I had to re-read it. It was so much like an incident that I know about.

It wasn't me, and I'd admit it if it was, but I know someone who had just worked on his 1911, dry fired it several times, inserted mag, set it on the coffee table and left the room. Came back later, started to watch TV and picked the gun up, racked it, and shot a hole through his TV, through the wall and completely across the adjoining apartment (that was occupied), then completely across the next adjoining apartment that was unoccupied and buried itself in the wall there, probably in a stud. The next apartment over was occupied but the stud stopped it from going in there.

Strange thing the guy in the occupied apartment right next door, never knew a thing, and only admitted to hearing a minor "pop".

No one hurt, TV still worked , and hard way to learn a lesson in gun safety. I'm glad you are alright, that is a huge mental pressure to have that happen to you. I was the first person that the 1911 guy phoned, he was devastated at his mistake. He had good gun-handling habits previously, but let his guard down. He is super-cautious now and I think learned a permanent lesson in gun safety.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

That's a rough way to learn a lesson, but it could have been a whole lot rougher on you! I'm glad nobody was hurt!

Thanks for sharing, it will serve as a good reminder for everyone who reads it.

-Plop
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links