Defensive Carry banner

Accidental Discharge: What I can learn from this.

9K views 90 replies 70 participants last post by  Ape 
#1 ·
I unloaded my 229, put new grips on it, dry fired it a few times, reloaded it and put it on the coffee table and watched TV for a while. Then I picked it up and dry fired it. Obviously I'd forgotten I'd reloaded. My bad. Fortunately nobody was home and the upstairs neighbors work at night. A round of Federal low recoil 135 grain went through three sheets of dry wall, the wood exterior wall of the house and through a drainpipe before it disappeared. The entrance holes were very well defined on all those surfaces and the exit holes were three times as big and uneven. I went outside and checked everything beyond that. it should have gone through the windshield of my car but it didn't. I checked the cars behind mine, the fence, the tree beyond the fence and the cars across the next street. No holes. I find it very disturbing that I had this AD, and am going to make sure it never happens again. Scary. I'm grateful no more damage was done and nobody was hurt. The house contains sound pretty well and no one called LE. Yikes. Now I'm off to the store for spackle.

#2 ·
That took guts to admit, mojust. I promise that I'm not chastising you in this post. In the spirit of what there is to learn here, I offer this thought:

* Inspect the chamber everytime that you handle a weapon. Setting it down means you inspect it when you pick it back up. It may be redundant, but doesn't cost anything.

* I don't like visual-only inspections. I particularly don't like the quick casual glance that I see at gun shops and shooting ranges. As long as the slide is back, take the time to view it from different angles (it's dark in there) and I always poke my dang finger in there as a second sensory precaution.

I too once had an AD about 27 years ago. I can still remember everything about that moment, even what I was wearing...

I'm glad nobody was hurt. Here's to your last AD!

#35 ·
The press check is your best friend. Do it until it becomes an automatic part of your manual of arms , as Sixto wrote, each time you handle your gun, no exceptions.

#4 ·
IMO there's no such thing as an "AD".... Only ND's. That being said I'm sure you realize how infinetly lucky you were not to have hurt or killed anyone. And that I presume will stick with you for life for future safe handeling of firearms. :embarassed:
Safety 101....NEVER assume a gun is unloaded.

#75 ·
In these cases someone always make that comment.
How do you defind negligent and accidental.

If you are out in the rain and come into the house and slip on a slick floor is that an accident or is it negligent? After all you could have removed your shoes so it is negligent, isn't it?

If you are going to make a shot, and your foot catches on a rock is that AD or ND? After all you could have made sure of your footing in the absolute.

Unless there is a faulty gun all discharges are either intended or unintended. So all unintended are negligent. But what does it profit to make that point?

I would bet, if I were a betting man, that anyone who shoots much for 20 years or so will have an unintended discharge.
I am willing to use the term AD, and let it go at that.
I think everyone who has an unintended discharge is aware of their errors, and makes an attempt to correct.
The most important point is to always have the gun pointed in a safe direction.

I suppose my main reason for this post is that I always perceive the "No such thing as AD" folks seem to take a holier than thou attitude. I suspect in time they may have to suffer through the same comments from those who know that they had an unintended discarge.

Regards,
Jerry

#6 ·
Anytime I dry fire my weapon,I unload it and leave the ammo in another room,I also check the chamber 2-3 times before I dry fire,the reason I do this is because almost 30 years ago I did the same exact thing,only I shot JR before anybody else did (Remember Dallas)then I had to go buy a new TV

#8 ·
Learn the 4 rules......

I'm glad that no one was hurt. Thanks for sharing......that takes guts! :hand5:

#11 ·
I am actually going to disagree with SIXTO here, in a minor way.

Pulling back the slide a little to inspect the chamber is what I would do if I want to verify that a gun is loaded---it's a quick way to see that there is a round. On the other hand, if I want to verify that the chamber is empty, I drop the mag (or verify that there is no mag) and lock the slide all the way back.

A faulty extractor could leave a round in the chamber on your 'press check' and make it look like the chamber is empty. Not verifying the empty mag could also mean you dry fire an empty chamber, but then rack a live round into the chamber when you want to 'dry fire' from single action.

Glad to hear everybody was safe after your oops. Now don't let it happen again. :smile:

#13 ·
I agree that it took courage to admit the incident to us, here. I have given this possibility a bit of consideration in the past. For myself, I don't like to "play" with my guns off the range. That is, if I am practicing draws, or dry fire, I am actively doing that and nothing else. I am not sitting in front of the TV and randomly pulling the trigger. By committing myself to this and following the 4 rules, I hopefully will avoid your uneviable situation. I also feel that I get more out of the practice when I put my full attention to the matter.

Good luck.

#14 ·
Always assume condition 1. It does take guts to admit, and I applaud you. Most won't tell you this here but trying to be constructive....you got complacent. Two is one...one is none. Not just in the presence of weapons being carried, but safety always. Never should have happened. Glad you and other were alright.

#15 ·
the lesson here is that a press check is your friend... I press check my EDC multiple times a day. Some call me crazy but I like to be sure. Glad no one was hurt and thank you for sharing this with us.. We ALL can learn from it.

#16 ·
I agree with the others and will just add, as you stated, you are so very lucky on so many levels that I wont waist your time mentioning um. Glad you and no one else was injured. My one rule that I always live by when it comes to firearms is. Assume that they're always loaded and you should be able to avoid the ND. :hand10:

#17 ·
As mentioned,.. This thread took guts,.. I think I would have just fixed the walls and never told anyone.. LOL.. But that is me,... Ok... What can be learned..

1) Your human,.. No denying that now,. I know,. I know,. It stinks, but be thankful we can learn and no-one got hurt,.. I'm sure you'll never do that again..

2) Always double check and triple check before ever putting your finger on the trigger,. ALWAY!!!... No exception,.

3) Always point the muzzle at something like the floor even after double checking or triple checking,. .I'm not a fan of pointing and dry firing your weapon.. That is what the range or desert is for... If you want to just dry fire,. Go do it at the range,...

4) When you load your weapon,.. Put in in the holster,.. Never just lay it down. Never holster a unloaded weapon, and always hoster the loaded weapon.. ,.. Just another safety check..

So very glad no-one got hurt,.. This could have been really bad,. Your VERY lucky..

#18 ·
Scary. Thanks for sharing this. While even dry firing it is good to still follow the gun safetly rule "never point your gun at something you do not wish to destroy" I dry fire into my closet which has a garrage and a brick wall behind it

#21 ·
Sorry to hear about your close call. Hopefully the lesson learned will prevent such a mistake in the future.

Most everyone has a preferred method to ensure no ADs/NDs. Regarding dry firing, I only dry fire my weapons immediately after they have been disassembled, cleaned, re-lubed, re-assembled, and the cleaning kit still spread out on the table. After dry firing the weapons, I first put the cleaning kit away then immediately reload those that I rotate into my EDC routine. From that point on Rule No. 1 is always the driving factor. My method has worked for me for more than 55 years without an incident. The main idea is to develop a habit that ensures a safe procedure.

#26 ·
Yep. I've been a firearms instructor since 1990 and been handling and shooting guns since 1967. Had a ND on Easter Sunday 3 years ago prior to an IPSC match using a CZ-75, which I sold soon after the ND. Lucky I did not kill my wife or grandaughter who had just left the kitchen and would of been directly in the bullets path. The WWB 115 gr. FMJ bullet penetrated 4 walls, 2 shower walls, a kitchen cabinet frame, a door jam, a 2X4 and exited the house. I threw up afterwards and thank God daily for sparing their lives due to my stupidity.

Since then I Triple check my weapon to ensure it is empty then load purple snap caps into the chambers while in the garage. Practice my dry firing onto 4 level 3 ballistic vests hung on the wall.

I have two other friends who are highly experienced LEO firearms instructors who have made the same mistake. One was shooting at a black bird from inside the house and shot through his picture window. The other shot Dr. Phil last year on his big buck flat screen. Both are also SWAT team members.

Familiararity breeds complacency. Semi auto's are easier to screw the pooch with. I've now went back to packing my old 2.5" model 19 and have become super vigilant when handling any weapon.

I'm very glad no one was killed with your ND. They can happen to ANYONE!

#24 ·
Yikes. Now I'm off to the store for spackle.
Or maybe some paint for the exterior and get some caulk too. You may need regular drywall mud to repair some of it. Oh, and dont forget the plumbing leak. Sure would be nice to know "exactly" where that bullet ended up ... wouldnt it? Maybe a little touch up paint for the neighbors fence.

I'm not gonna criticize your "dry" firing episode, everybody else has done well already. However, I can sure help you with your home repairs. :blink:

#25 ·
Well ... I'll admit to something that neither the OP or anyone else has so far in this discussion: I would have had to put on a clean/dry pair of underwear if that had happened to me!

I'm glad it turned out no worse than a few holes in the walls.

-Seawolf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.