Looking for FEED BACK on the XD 45 Compact

Looking for FEED BACK on the XD 45 Compact

This is a discussion on Looking for FEED BACK on the XD 45 Compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Those of you who know me know that I recently underwent GASTRIC BYPASS SURGERY and since June 29th (date of the surgery) till TODAY I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for FEED BACK on the XD 45 Compact

Exclamation Looking for FEED BACK on the XD 45 Compact

Those of you who know me know that I recently underwent GASTRIC BYPASS SURGERY and since June 29th (date of the surgery) till TODAY I have so far lost almost 80 pounds. When I was bigger, I was carrying an H&K P30 9mm as my EDC. As I continue to lose weight and body mass I'm beginning to drift back to the 45ACP as my carry gun. I really detest the H&K 45 compact and the full size version is too big. It's really made for a tactical drop holster application, methinks.

So, I'm looking for an EDC gun that is DA so that rules out my Colts and other 1911s. I'd like more than 8rds in the magazine. I have already had a Glock M30 and that was sold to my nephew because ergonomically, most all the Glocks feel like 4x4 blocks of wood to my smallish hands. I was looking at the Sig P250 in 45 but although I do like the trigger on that, it's still too .... ummmm.... revolver-ISH for me.

Therefore, after much research I THINK I have settled on the Springfield Armory XD45 compact. The advantages here are that it comes with a 10rd mag PLUS will accept (and comes with one) the higher capacity 13rd full size mag much as the Glock M30 will accept full size/capacity mags from the M21 Glock. Plus there will be more holster options.

SO, again, looking for feedback from folks who have either owned, currently own or have even fired a Springer XD45 compact and what their impressions are of the gun especially as an EDC. That is probably going to be my next impending purchase. Also looking for a price range on a new gun and as to whether they tend to come with tritium sights or whether folks have to add these later. Also the cost (approximately) of spare mags both 10 and 13rd capacities.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I don't own one but my dad does and I have fired his on a few occasions. It's a quality reliable firearm. It was also more accurate that I was. I personally wouldn't carry it (or any other sub compact 45) as the recoil it to much for me to comfortably control for follow up shots but I freely admit that I am a "recoil sissy". You could do a LOT worse for a CCW.

My dad also says that he has never had any malfuntion of any type. He has shot both his own reloads and various store bought ammo.

Wink Recoil Sissy?

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I freely admit that I am a "recoil sissy".
    I wouldn't put it like that. There are some of us that are just masochistic when it comes to recoil. I love to shoot 460 magnum full house loads rapid fire at an indoor range just to shut the line down from the muzzle blast and noise. I also freely admit that this feeling is almost akin to good sex. Kinky, huh? The first time I fired a 460 full house load, I felt the recoil blast in my TEETH and knew I had to have one. I've also just always wanted a handgun I knew would drop a T-Rex or Sasquatch dead in it's tracks. The venerable 44 magnum was never quite enough for me. The upside is that my 460 also shoots 45 Colt and 454 Casull.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I wouldn't put it like that. There are some of us that are just masochistic when it comes to recoil. I love to shoot 460 magnum full house loads rapid fire at an indoor range just to shut the line down from the muzzle blast and noise. I also freely admit that this feeling is almost akin to good sex. Kinky, huh? The first time I fired a 460 full house load, I felt the recoil blast in my TEETH and knew I had to have one. I've also just always wanted a handgun I knew would drop a T-Rex or Sasquatch dead in it's tracks. The venerable 44 magnum was never quite enough for me. The upside is that my 460 also shoots 45 Colt and 454 Casull.
    I love a good recoil also.I have 2 Ruger Alaskans, both in 454 cas,1 I bought and the twin was a b-day gift,I have often shot both at once,you should see the firing line stop and stare!
    To answer the OP love the xd45 carry it often and shoot it weekly.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

IIRC the XD is classified as SA, not DA. I have 2 XD 45C's and have carried them daily for the last 2 years. I have about 28K rounds (mainly reloads) downrange with them.

Pros:
    Grip Angle same as 1911
    Doesn't rust
    SA customer service is awesome (I KB'd one of mine)
    10+1 in the compact version

Cons:
    Loaded chamber indicator will stick up
    Factory mag springs are weak - this will creep up at about 7K rounds when you will get light primer strikes
    Lack of spare parts, if you need something you have to send it to Springfield

Neutral:
    High bore axis - doesn't bother me
    Long trigger pull / reset - Doesn't bother me but I shoot my MP9C much better

The XD 45 Compact has been my daily carry for almost two years now. I have approximately 2000 rounds across mine with one failure to return to battery, but this was when the gun was overdue for a cleaning. It has otherwise been basically flawless and has fed everything I tried putting through it.

Having said all that, I might replace it soon.

I just bought a Taurus Millennium Pro PT145. *If* it proves reliable, it'll be the new carry gun. Why? Because, in my opinion, it's everything the XD 45 Compact should have been. It's slimmer, lighter, more than an inch shorter overall, thus more concealable, and it has a manual thumb safety (are you listening, Springfield?). It's even shorter overall than the XD Subcompacts, which don't offer a .45 caliber.

The manual thumb safety has several detractors on here ("I might forget that it's on under stress, etc...."), but to that I say, Just don't click it on! If you're traditionally a Glock shooter, for example, there's nothing saying that you have to use the thumb safety.

Anyway, yes, the XD 45 Compact has been super reliable but you might want to also look at the PT145.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I have so far lost almost 80 pounds.
    Congratulations!

I'd like more than 8rds in the magazine.
    I've come to the same conclusion. Although I like the feel and size of the CS-45, I give up a lot in capacity with it.

SO, again, looking for feedback from folks who have either owned, currently own or have even fired a Springer XD45 compact and what their impressions are of the gun especially as an EDC.
    This weekend I've been seriously contemplating buying a second XD-45 compact. Nothing wrong with mine, but more is better.

Compared to your CS-45 (I have both a CS-45 and an XD-45 right in front of me), the XD is about 1/2" longer, the width is nearly identical (CS is a smidge wider with the Hogue grips), and with the XD short mag and no Pearce grip, the CS is actually taller by a little.

That is probably going to be my next impending purchase. Also looking for a price range on a new gun
    I went to 6 gunshops last week, but I wasn't looking at the XD-45 at the time. I'm going to guess the local shops sell them for a little over $500, and the bigger chains will be $550-575. Just a guess, though.

and as to whether they tend to come with tritium sights or whether folks have to add these later.
    I've seen many XD-45's on display over the last couple years, but I have not seen any with tritium sights already installed. I asked a couple times if they could be ordered installed, but it's been so long ago, I forgot the answer.

Also the cost (approximately) of spare mags both 10 and 13rd capacities.
    Last year I purchased some 13-round mags with grip sleeve for $29.99 from Midway, and 10-rounders for $23.75 from Pistolgear. Midway was cheaper on like mags, but they probably didn't have them when I was ordering the 10-rounders.

Pearce grips for the short mags were $7.95 from Pistolgear. You might find them cheaper elsewhere, but this will give you a ballpark idea of the price.

It's only a matter of time before I own a second XD-45 compact.

Don't have any suggestions on the guns, but congrats on the weight loss!!

Wink Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by cuban11182 View Post
    Don't have any suggestions on the guns, but congrats on the weight loss!!
    Thanks. Only about 40 more pounds to lose... my surgeon says I'm on perfect tract to get there by Christmas....

Wink Actually...

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I just bought a Taurus Millennium Pro PT145. *If* it proves reliable, it'll be the new carry gun. Why? Because, in my opinion, it's everything the XD 45 Compact should have been. It's slimmer, lighter, more than an inch shorter overall, thus more concealable, and it has a manual thumb safety (are you listening, Springfield?). It's even shorter overall than the XD Subcompacts, which don't offer a .45 caliber. Anyway, yes, the XD 45 Compact has been super reliable but you might want to also look at the PT145.
    My only problem with the Taurus semi autos seems to be the trigger. It always feels like somebody poured a gallon of SAND inside the mechanism it's so creepy and gritty. I really don't like 'em. But I'll give 'em another look at the next gun show at the end of this month just 'cuz you recommended them.

My only problem with the Taurus semi autos seems to be the trigger. It always feels like somebody poured a gallon of SAND inside the mechanism it's so creepy and gritty. I really don't like 'em. But I'll give 'em another look at the next gun show at the end of this month just 'cuz you recommended them.
    Just out of curiosity, when did you look at them last? The reason I ask is because this series has gone through a surprising amount of changes over the past few years. For example, it was a DAO trigger when it first came out but it's now SA/DA.

Speaking of the trigger, I love the feel of it being so wide. That just works for my index finger.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    ExSoldier...I've had my XD .45 Compact for almost 2 years and was my EDC until I bought a Glock 27 earlier this year. I still plan to carry the XD when colder weather gets here when I can wear a jacket or vest.

I have shot 1K + rounds through the XD with 0 malfunctions. I have smaller hands and the 10 rd mag really fits me well. I only use the 13 rounder occasionally at the range. The customer service and lifetime warranty is hard to beat too. One of my 10 rd mags developed a crack at the top back side. I called cust service and they said they would send a new one and I didn't even have to send in the old one.

Congrats on the weight loss...keep getting healthy!!!
    Proud NRA member

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I have owned and carried the SA 45 Compact since it became available. I just love it. It has never let me down. I carry it in either an Eagle Defender (OWB) or Dakota Defender (IWB) from K&D. Now having said that I find myself carrying my Glock 27 more often since the warm weather has set in. The only reason is the glock conceals a bit easier. So this fall I will probably return to the XD for carry. Buy and carry it with confidence.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I have had one for years, and it's my EDC. Can't say enough good things about it. It fits my hand well, even with the shorter 10rnd mag. It's balanced well. There's a plethora of holster options. I could keep going, but I'm not sure when I'd stop. I'd say you can't really go wrong with the XD 45 Compact.

Wink Hmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Just out of curiosity, when did you look at them last? The reason I ask is because this series has gone through a surprising amount of changes over the past few years. For example, it was a DAO trigger when it first came out but it's now SA/DA.

Speaking of the trigger, I love the feel of it being so wide. That just works for my index finger.
    I think it's been about 2 or 3 years, since I was last looking seriously. But I still handle them at gun shows all the time, still dry fire (after asking) and haven't seen a marked difference there. But to be fair, I've seen that gritty sand in the action issue even with some very good H&Ks. So probably nobody is immune.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links