looking for 9mm for cc

looking for 9mm for cc

This is a discussion on looking for 9mm for cc within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all. I have a S&W fullsize M&P 9mm that I like alot. But am thinking of shopping for something smaller for more convenient carry. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for 9mm for cc

looking for 9mm for cc

Hi all.

I have a S&W fullsize M&P 9mm that I like alot. But am thinking of shopping for something smaller for more convenient carry.

I dont want to spend loads (like on the Springfield EMP9 I saw today) but also dont want the low end plastic stuff that's likely to FTF on me. I want something reliable and safe. Dont think I want the little Kel-tecs or Kahrs unless I hear good things about quality.

The M&P compact didnt fit my hand, yet some of the compact Sigs do and seem very well balanced.

XD compact....didnt like balance, kind of top heavy but not bad.

Ruger LCP...maybe, but I heard there were recall issues.

I dont mind 'heavy' and metal; I'm looking for smaller but it doesnt have to be 'micro' by any means. 3" barrel is the goal I think. I'd like to stick with 9mm for convenience and cost, but the .380 Sigs are tempting. What is a comparable Sig in 9?

So please share your thoughts and recommendations on mid-range priced compact 9s!

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Hi all.

I have a S&W fullsize M&P 9mm that I like alot. But am thinking of shopping for something smaller for more convenient carry.

I dont want to spend loads (like on the Springfield EMP9 I saw today) but also dont want the low end plastic stuff that's likely to FTF on me. I want something reliable and safe. Dont think I want the little Kel-tecs or Kahrs unless I hear good things about quality.

The M&P compact didnt fit my hand, yet some of the compact Sigs do and seem very well balanced.

XD compact....didnt like balance, kind of top heavy but not bad.

Ruger LCP...maybe, but I heard there were recall issues.

I dont mind 'heavy' and metal; I'm looking for smaller but it doesnt have to be 'micro' by any means. 3" barrel is the goal I think. I'd like to stick with 9mm for convenience and cost, but the .380 Sigs are tempting. What is a comparable Sig in 9?

So please share your thoughts and recommendations on mid-range priced compact 9s!
    Sounds like you need a Glock 26.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Kahr K9, very reliable
    S&W 3913, 908
    Walther PPS

What is a comparable Sig in 9?
    Sig 239 is their smallest.

I have the PPS and the LCP. I can tell you here in Florida, I find myself carrying the LCP more often than the PPS.

The recall on the LCP was for the first batch, the newer batch is good to go.

Also in the Kahr lineup is their P9 - compact version of the K9 with a polymer frame. I have the "economy" version - CW9 - light and flat, 7+1 capacity. The grip is larger than the subcompact Glocks, and my medium-large hands can get a a full firing grip on the gun (the pinky isn't left looking for a place to land). Plus, it's a lot thinner than the Glock; the tradeoff being a single-stack mag with lower capacity.

Unlike some folks here, I've had zero problems with either my CW9 or my K40.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I too have the CW9 and carry it daily with no problems at all. Some on this forum have had problematic Kahrs that they cant get to run reliably, and I have no doubts that they know what they're talking about. It's for that reason I would suggest the Glock26 over the Kahr for a fairly easy to conceal CC pistol. The Kahrs are slimmer and I personally prefer the double action trigger to the safe action trigger of the Glocks, but IMO, the Glocks rank about as high as I care to evaluate on the scale.

I have the G23 and carried it for years, but wanted the slimmer Kahr for EDC and so far no regrets. Cheers!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Another consideration is action and safeties since sometimes it will be purse carry.

I got my M&P with the thumb safety so I could carry with one in the chamber and not worry about snagging the trigger coming out of a purse (even from a designated gun compartment.

I've tried 4 or 5 Glocks and none of them were very good fits. Initially thought I'd buy the 19 but liked the M&P's trigger, point, and grip better.

The recalls on the LCP are done and you shouldn't find one new in the box that will require a recall, but It's a .380 and IMO a minimal caliber for defense. I have one and use it mainly as a BUG to my CW9. If you're not wanting the Glock, my suggestion would be to look at the CW9 and see what you think. The kahr that I have heard that had the majority of problems were the PM9 the sub-compact 9mm to the P9 and the CW9. As far as I know the others are on par with any other autoloader. Provided you break um in and keep um maintained.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    I carry a .380 and a 709 Taurus Slim 9mm. Conceals very well.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Well, you've ruled out a lot of very good guns in you first post and
    I'm not sure if I can help you much, but here we go.
    You said you need a safety and don't mind if its a little heavy, have
    you held a Bersa UC9 Pro ?
    I just got one two weeks ago and it shoot good ,feeds good and
    holds 13+1 rounds.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Kahr K9, or Glock 26. the K9 seems to have fewer complaints about reliability than the polymer Kahrs. But overall the 26 would be my first choice for duability and reliability and combat accuracy.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Maybe even look at a Sig P239
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I'm kind of in the same conundrum: I too have a FS M&P9. With winter coming, concealing is not an issue but it was difficult this summer. Personally, I'm leaning toward a Kahr PM9 but for you, you may want to re-consider the M&P 9c and here's why:

1) You say the weight is not an issue, if thickness is also not an issue, you'll be o.k. with that.

2) All of your gear for the 9FS will fit the 9c including your holsters and mags

3) The grip: If the grip of the 9FS fits your hand (mine fits perfectly) you can use the 17rd mags with this to duplicate that grip while at the range. I think that having a small cc gun fit your hand perfectly is a bit of an unreasonable request. With this grip extender, you'll be good at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Dont think I want the little Kel-tecs or Kahrs unless I hear good things about quality...

While I'm not a fan of most Kel-Tecs, I love my PF-9. I dont like the P3AT/P32 and P11 because they have a generally cheesy appearance, like a cheaply made toy. However, the PF-9 is handsome in my opinion, because it looks like a "real" pistol, just on a smaller scale.

Most importantly, its been 100% reliable thus far. And its incredibly light, and feels great in the OWB holster I had custom made by Ed Buffaloe. VERY easy to conceal in any attire.

Administrator
    Kahr K9 would be my choice using the parameters you have set.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links