Point Shooting My LCP: I Had An Epiphany

This is a discussion on Point Shooting My LCP: I Had An Epiphany within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to upstate PA, near the NY state border this weekend to a friends parents house where they had 30+ acres and their own ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Point Shooting My LCP: I Had An Epiphany

I went to upstate PA, near the NY state border this weekend to a friends parents house where they had 30+ acres and their own outdoor range. One of the guns I brought was my Ruger LCP, which I wanted to try point shooting with as I'm not able to do this at the indoor range I belong to.

I drew from the Desantis Nemesis pocket holster I had at 3 and 5 yards and shot at pumpkins and sections of wood set up to fall when hit.

I now finally know why the sights on the LCP are virtually non-existent! You don't need them! When I drew and brought the gun up with a two-handed grip, as with a larger gun, and tried to focus in on the sights and target, I shot only so-so and missed just as much as I hit.

When I drew, and held the gun about halfway between waist and shoulders and instinctively point shot using a one-handed grip, I hit the wood and those pumpkins every time! Wow! What I was finding with the two-handed grip also was I sometimes hit the mag release and with the one-handed grip, this problem was eliminated.

I was really surprised and happy to see that the point shooting style really worked for me, as the LCP and my new Seecamp .32 (which has NO sights at all) are going to be my EDC guns and the larger ones will be relegated to home defense duty. Now I'm just going to have to go back to this place more and practice my point shooting!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

I found I am much more accurate just ripping off in rapid fire as opposed to trying to do slow aimed fire. I can make a styrofoam cup dance around on the ground hitting it every time no matter where it lands in rapid fire.

I'm really liking my LCP and think it's a great little gun. As a contact range gun out to 3 or 4 feet banging away with 7 rounds of Gold Dots, I do not foresee being any problem putting someone down.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Learning to point shoot buys you a lot of time, it really works and keep training.

Like the old saying, " He who buys the most time in a gun fight wins".

Also sold on point shooting for SD.

Congrats!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I love my little LCP. I'm trying to convice my father to get one as well. He said he is going to wait until Spring to pick one up. Hopefully by then there will be more 380 by then. If not, I GUESS, I can share some with the old man. LOL

I think it is better to point shoot smaller handguns such as the Ruger LCP and even J frame S&W revolvers. The sights are just too small to use in a hurry. JMHO. I use the same technique of point shooting with my LCP.
    God bless our troops!

Just took an course in Threat-Focused Shooting...point shooting, I'll never train with my sights again...no need.
    If you can look and point, you can point and shoot.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Personally I think point shooting is the only way to really shoot with a handgun...

Glad it's been working for you!

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    I think it is better to point shoot smaller handguns such as the Ruger LCP and even J frame S&W revolvers. The sights are just too small to use in a hurry. JMHO. I use the same technique of point shooting with my LCP.
    Personally I think point shooting is the only way to really shoot with a handgun

It's not just smaller guns. That's the way I shoot all my handguns from a carry position.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Administrator
    I told ya so! Thats the way combat shooting is done. We dont need no stinking sights!
    Now one more person understands why I chuckle at the lasers and other gadgetry we love to buy.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Just took an course in Threat-Focused Shooting...point shooting, I'll never train with my sights again...no need.
    If you can look and point, you can point and shoot.
    Yea, yea, rub it in. If you don't live in FL or AZ the courses don't come around.

I do some of it on my own, but would like to be able to take a course from folks that aren't hoping their getting it right.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

is it true that ammo for th 380 is hard to find?

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post

I do some of it on my own, but would like to be able to take a course from folks that aren't hoping their getting it right.
    I'm with you. I have been reluctant to try and teach myself. I'm sure I could, but I don't want to develop any bad habits.

I'm waiting for the next time I get to see my nephew and have him go shooting with me to help me out. He's a Border Patrol agent and they teach an extensive amount of point shooting in the Border Patrol Academy.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Sorry to dig this thread up but...

I'm still learning to shoot my LCP, only have around 200 rounds through it. Went this past weekend and discovered a new problem: mag was dropping after two shots. After some detective work, I found that I when I held it with both hands, my strongside/right thumb was pressing the mag release about every other double-tap. I kept trying to work myself into keeping my thumb off, but it just wants to go where the release is.

Talked to a buddy at work about it (who also has one) and he told me to stop shooting the LCP two-handed , that there just isn't any reason for it, nor is there room for someone with larger hands to get both thumbs on the side of the gun. At the distances this gun was made for, you'll likely not need a two-handed grip anyway.

Makes sense now. I'll have to start practicing single-handed (as well as off-handed, which I don't do enough even with my larger handguns).
    Each of us has a natural right, from God, to defend his person, his liberty, and his property.

Frederic Bastiat

For me thats how I primarily practice with my LCP. I think it's best to practice as close to the way it'll be drawn and presented for memory and a more realistic effect. Not to mention, just how much fun it is to work on the fast draw and shoot!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I Point shoot with all my carry guns ; ) Use SITES/SCOPE on long guns H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links