Looking for feedback on the S&W .40 Sigma

This is a discussion on Looking for feedback on the S&W .40 Sigma within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a chance to buy a virtually new Sigma from a friend. All the original info, case, both clips. He's fired maybe 2 clips ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for feedback on the S&W .40 Sigma

Looking for feedback on the S&W .40 Sigma

I have a chance to buy a virtually new Sigma from a friend. All the original info, case, both clips. He's fired maybe 2 clips worth of ammo through it. He's asking 300.00 for it. I know that each handgun is different and everyone has their preferences, but just looking for some feekback on the concealability of this one, and if it's a good deal at $300?

thanks in advance, everyone.
    Meech

2. Remove Ads

For what it's worth, earlier this year, Academy was selling them new for $299.99. $300 isn't a bad price for a gently used one, but not a great price either.

I haven't shot or owned one, but I have heard that they are decent guns, but don't have the lifespan of a Glock or M&P. If you're planning on shooting lot, plan on replacing parts early (like around 10,000 - 15,000 rounds). YMMV.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Thanks, Exodus.
    I just looked on Academy's website and they're still selling them for $319. it's not much of a deal so far.

I was at Specality Arms in LaVergne,TN today and they had Sigmas on sale for $319 with a factory mail in rebate of $50 or two free magazines from S&W.

Administrator
    Now if you could get him down to $225. "cash on the barrel head" that would be a good deal.

Make him an offer of $225. and then walk away. Let him come back to you if he decides to accept that offer.

If not. Nothing ventured nothing lost.

300.00 is too much...tell him to go down on the price...

Buds has SW9VE for 299.99 new and S&W has a 50 dollar mail in rebate or 2 free mags offer so why get a used one?

They're not bad firearms, and definitely a good deal for the money. Our local Sheriffs department still issues them to the new jailers, although they are now moving on to Glock 22's for the jail, and Sig's (I don't know which model, only that they're .40 cal) for the road deputies.

I wouldn't give him more than $250 for a used one though, depending on what he's offering with it. If he's throwing in a lot of accessories (good holster, lots of mags, ammo, etc...), then maybe $300 is a fair price.

You also asked about concealibility, but that's dependent on how you're built, your manner of dress, and how you plan on carrying. Me, I've always preferred a horizontal shoulder holster, which makes concealing almost anything easy due to my build and the way I dress. A full size weapon isn't the easiest thing to conceal, but I used to wear my H&K USP .45 fullsize in a galco Miami Classic and I can't recall ever drawing a second glance from LEO's or the public. So it can be done.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

I have a 1st generation Sigma in 40....bought in 1994, never shot it until this year (dont ask!)......I LOVE the trigger, better than my Glocks...BUT from what I am told, due to the Glock lawsuit in 1994-1995, the guns had to be changed a bit and the trigger isnt as good as mine......but the gun has to date been shot about 250 rounds with zero malfunctions of any sort......and I paid $500 when they were new, they were more than a Glock (again, dont ask! )

I agree $250 for a used one is fair when new they are only $300...but dont forget the $300 is before shipping and FFL transfer fees etc...so it could easily become $330 or more.

Good luck.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

I bought mine from Gander Mountain for 399, including a extra clip and a laserlyte laser. 50 dollar rebate.

I love the gun. I am very accurate with it compared to my P89. Dont know why... Good luck

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I paid 360 OTD 2 years ago for my SW40VE with 2 mags, in hind sight probably too much. But I love it. Never a problem one! It is my EDC in a Don Hume IWB. I used the rebate coupon ($30 or 2 mags) to get 2 more free mags.
    I like the $1000 guns but this is what I can afford. I think you'll like it. I agree, 250 or less for a used one.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

My buddy's got a Sigma in .40 he bought this year that I've shot a few times. YMMV but I think the trigger's absolutely terrible. You might want to try it out before making the purchase.

It's a reasonable price. Your buddy won't be charging any sales tax and you won't be paying a FFL dealer any transfer fee like you would if you bought online. Like another responder, I'd offer him something less than $300. Who knows you might save a few bucks, but if he wants $300 that's still a reasonable price.

I have two Sigmas. One in 40 caliber and one in 9mm. I love both of them. The outer dimensions of both guns are identical. I find mine very concealable and comfortable in a Don Hume IWB holster. Sells for about $30. The stiffness of the trigger is way over hyped. Of course it feels stiff when compared to a 1911 or a glock but the gun wasn't designed for match shooting. Neither was the glock for that matter.

FWIW I've concealed carried both of mine extensively. Especially the 40.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

VIP Member
    I carried a Sigma .40 as my CC gun for quite some time and while it's bigger than some, it's very concealable. I carried it in a Kholster and that did a fine job of both concealing it and being about as comfortable as you can get, which is to say pretty comfortable.

Lot's of folks don't care for the Sigma line because of the trigger pull, but once I got accustomed to it, I found it to be a very accurate gun and I also felt it was a very safe gun to carry due to the longer trigger pull, but that's just my personal opinion. I would suggest a lot of range time with it just to promote familiarity with the trigger pull.

Like others have already said, I would say that $300 is a bit high, especially with S&W offering rebates on them right now, but if you could get it down in the $250 range I think it wouldn't be a bad buy.

Bud's has them for 299.00 and sw has 50.00 rebate according to Bud's. We took ours to LSG, Mfg|Gun Parts|Warranty|Gunsmithing We had trouble with the trigger being so hard and sw covered it under warranty and super trigger now. Love the 40ve and would buy more if I could...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links