where parts are made and firearms assembled

This is a discussion on where parts are made and firearms assembled within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read a post the other night on another site and it had to do with a young fellow showing his grandfather his Springfield XD. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where parts are made and firearms assembled

where parts are made and firearms assembled

I read a post the other night on another site and it had to do with a young fellow showing his grandfather his Springfield XD. The old gent, while not sure of the use of polymer, liked how the pistol felt and pointed, that is, until he saw the crest on the top indicating it was made in Croatia. That did it for him. While he liked it, he wouldn't buy one because it wasn't made in the USA.

That had me wondering where firearms were made. That further broke down into parts and assembly. For example, I know Smith & Wesson is US owned, but I want to say I've read that their 1911s are made in Brazil (not sure).

I put a list together of what I knew and was wondering if anyone else would be interested in helping me put the list together. Below is what I have so far. If I've made any mistakes, please let me know. Thanks.

Browning - Owned by Herstal Group (Belgium):
    models(?):

CZ (Czech Republic):
    All:
    Parts: Czech Republic
    Assembly: Czech Republic

FNH - Owned by Herstal Group (Belgium):
    Five-Seven:
    Parts: Belgium
    Assembly: Belgium
    FNP9/FNP40/FNP45:
    Parts: USA
    Assembly: USA

Glock (Austria):
    models(?):
    Parts: Austria
    Assembly: Austria

Kel-Tec (USA):
    All:

Ruger (USA):
    models(?):

Sig Sauer - Owned by Swiss Arms AG (Switzerland/Germany):
    models(?):
    Parts: Switzerland/Germany, USA
    Assembly: Switzerland/Germany, USA
    Mosquito:
    P250:
    Parts: USA (?)
    Assembly: USA (?)

Springfield (USA):
    XD:
    Parts: Croatia
    Assembly: Croatia

Taurus (Brazil):
    All(?):
    Parts: Brazil
    Assembly: Brazil, USA

Winchester - Owned by Herstal Group (Belgium):
    models(?)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    My Browning HP assembed in Portgual

I think that most if not all of the Sig Sauer pistols and rifles are made in Exeter, NH, USA now. The German made Sigs are sought-after if I understand it correctly. Maybe someone who knows more about Sigs can elaborate on this.

The earlier production models of the 556 rifle had some Swiss made parts, assembled in USA. The newer ones are all American I believe.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Berettas are made in U.S. and Italy.

While he liked it, he wouldn't buy one because it wasn't made in the USA.

Made, and assembled. Two different words. I don't remember exactly what percentage of an item needs to be made in the USA to make the claim "made in the USA". But nothing needs to be 100% to make that claim these days. Foreign countries have been making fine firearms a lot longer than America has been around........an awful lot of foreign countries have had wars and uprisings that have pretty much demanded good firearms and engineering.
    There's also the thought on percentages, and is it a percentage of total parts, or a percentage of the item itself. For instance...take automobiles.........very few are actually 'made' here in the USA. They may be assembled here in a plant with a whole lot of parts from other countries. So...if the car body or the frame was to make up the largest percent of the total vehicle....would that be 'made in the USA'? Or should it be the total percentage of actual parts that make up a vehicle and the body or frame being considered as only one part on an 8,459 total parts vehicle? You're not going to buy any vehicle that's totally made in the USA any more. Why do you think you need a set of SAE and metric tools to work on them? Here's a good short article about Harley Davidsons and 'American Made'. I picked this one because when I was overseas, I saw where some of them were manufactured (welcome to Japan), and HD is one of those 'American icons' which we seem to have so few of these days.
    Biker News

Is a Harley Davidson Truly Made in America?

by Steve
    Wednesday, December 29, 2004

This discussion always comes up in a forum somewhere across the Internet. It came up again this morning in a blog. The blogger listed out several parts that she feels certain is made foreign countries.

While I'm sure that several HD parts are indeed made in other countries, the fact is that there is very little of anything that is 100% made in America. The blogger notes that HD speedometers are made somewhere else. But a speedometer consists of several components. A company that builds speedometers get their parts from somewhere else also.

But I think however, that when it comes to "made in America" what we're really talking about is who is getting our money. I'd rather have my money going to a company that employs Americans in some capacity. And that's the case with Harley Davidson.

I noted earlier that Honda and Yamaha announced plans to have more of their motorcycles built in China. I know this is all economics and is about keeping prices competitive. But when someone tries to tell you that your Harley is actually built overseas, the point is that Americans still benefit from the sales of HD bikes.
    Back to firearms. Arsenal Inc (manufacturers of fine AKs) Located in Nevada, claims the rifles are made in the USA. But....do they make (assemble)them here out of parts from foreign countries?
    So what gives? What are the requirements these days to know....to make that statement........, to realize what you're buying is......."Proudly made in the USA", or "Made in America"? I can proudly say that I do work for a manufacturer that still makes their product from beginning to end, with very few parts right here in the good ole USA and can still proudly stamp the "Made in USA" emblem on their products. I'm not only a consumer.....I'm part of the chain in the middle. Remember this the next time you need a tool to work on your 'American made automobile' and go to eyeballing a Craftsman, Kobalt, or Armstrong wrench, ratchet, socket, pliers, screwdrivers, Allen keys, or any sets. Some of the last things you'll actually know are made right here in America, and when they say "Proudly made in the USA", they aint lyin'. I'm here to tell ya. Remember us this holiday season when the gift of giving should include the Made in USA emblem. I truly believe this is the road to recovery for our country. If you'd like to know about my firearms in general, I think I'm around 50/50 for American made versus foreign made at this time. Remington, Bushmaster, Ruger, etc, seem to balance out my Glocks (and don't get me wrong here or by the shorts...because even the government has gone for foreign made firearms and contracts for our own military).
    Here's a list of currently active American made firearms/companies for anyone who'd like to know, or thought they already knew. (everyone here should read this even if they don't intend to reply in the thread)
    Guns Made in the USA
    All in all, this thread somehow gave me an opportunity to get some things I think about out in the open. I lost out on a nice trade for a Henry (American made) survival rifle this morning BTW since I had already made a deal previously.
    May God bless all who read this in it's entirety, and gain something of it. I'll thank the OP for the opportunity.

Kimber = USA

LOVE MY Rugers,S&W & Remington ; ) then Savage? NEF? Wathers> GRRMAN / KBI PMK> Belgeum / HERITAGE USA / GEUSS, The american firearms balances out
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

My SIG P220 JK (1989) pre-reunification "Golden Era" 100% German made .45 acp.

Springfield 1911 A1 Brazill.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Hey Ram Rod,

I can see what you're saying as can most. Given that most things nowadays are not 100% made in the USA, I would say that if 51%+ of the funds goes towards American companies/workers, then I'd say made in the USA.

Thanks a million for the link on which firearms are made here. It's pretty much what I was looking for. Going by the link, another American icon is Smith & Wesson, but I don't see them listed. I wonder where the bulk of the cost of a firearm from them goes? Which country really benefits the most from a sale?.?

When all is said and done, though, a good firearm is a good firearm regardless of where it comes from. Competition and variety are a good thing . . . up to a point. When your base for an industry (whichever industry that may be) disappears, then that's a bad thing. JMHO

Thanks.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Para just moved from Canada to USA but I keep hearing horror stories about their quality.

What about guns made in USA but in anti states? Where do we draw the line?

I would rather go with perceived/actual reliability than birthplace when it comes to something that I need to save my life. Besides, there's nothing wrong with owning a foreign gun, unless it comes from France or some other place you really don't like. Heck our own US military and many police departments use foreign owned companies for many of their small arms.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I believe Bersas are made and assembled in Argentina.

A good friend and acquaintance claimed Taurus (which we already know is in South America) farms out their cylinder production overseas and their cylinders are cast of inferior metal. For this reason my wife refused a bargain on a Taurus revolver. I never could find the corroborating article.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by cz75luver View Post
    Hey Ram Rod,

I can see what you're saying as can most. Given that most things nowadays are not 100% made in the USA, I would say that if 51%+ of the funds goes towards American companies/workers, then I'd say made in the USA.

Thanks a million for the link on which firearms are made here. It's pretty much what I was looking for. Going by the link, another American icon is Smith & Wesson, but I don't see them listed. I wonder where the bulk of the cost of a firearm from them goes? Which country really benefits the most from a sale?.?

When all is said and done, though, a good firearm is a good firearm regardless of where it comes from. Competition and variety are a good thing . . . up to a point. When your base for an industry (whichever industry that may be) disappears, then that's a bad thing. JMHO

Thanks.
    No problem. I obviously got off on a tangent. Thing is there are facts that some too often forget (and this gets us back once again to the American aspect of made here sold here).
    Between 1987 and 2001 Smith & Wesson was owned by the British engineering company Tomkins PLC.
    Those were impressionable times for me and the way things worked with the 2A and political scenes. I have no dislike for any of the S&W products, it's just that I've never held one, and never will. Nor will one be transferred through these hands. It's a shame really, but it's all burned into this brain of mine or what remains. What things happen in the corporate world in a capitalistic society can be far-reaching.
    Smith & Wesson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    From the article:
    Agreement of 2000

In March 2000 Smith & Wesson signed an agreement with the Clinton Administration in order to avoid lawsuits.[3] The company agreed to numerous safety and design standards, as well as limits on the sale and distribution of their products. Gun clubs and gun rights groups responded to this agreement by initiating large-scale boycotts of Smith & Wesson by refusing to buy their new products and flooding the firearms market with used S&W guns, cutting into their market share. [4][5] This agreement signed by Tomkins PLC ended with the sale of Smith and Wesson to the Saf-T-Hammer Corporation. The new company, (Smith and Wesson Holding Corporation), publicly renounced the agreement which was received positively by the firearms community.
    I agree.....thing happen, and everything happens for a reason. To answer your question about S&W not being listed on that site, I'll just put my opinion down in terminology........'break of service'. It may not seem right, but that's the way I believe to this day. I will never own a S&W firearm. That's pretty much all there is to it.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNameMan View Post
    I think that most if not all of the Sig Sauer pistols and rifles are made in Exeter, NH, USA now. The German made Sigs are sought-after if I understand it correctly. Maybe someone who knows more about Sigs can elaborate on this.

The earlier production models of the 556 rifle had some Swiss made parts, assembled in USA. The newer ones are all American I believe.
    I have a west german p220 and a new, exeter (USA) p229. They are both well made and extremely accurate.

Honestly, I don't understand why people have something against the "new" USA made Sigs. The one I have works great; it has great fit and finish, and is probably my favorite gun. I actually had problems with the West German P220 right after I bought it, but that was solved with new springs.

So basically, I see them both as working fine, regardless of the country they were made in. The USA is the only country in the world I would want to live in, but Germany gave the world BMWs and Sigs, so can't argue there!
    "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links