SP101??

This is a discussion on SP101?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am wantng a 357 with less than a 4" barrel. Smiths are getting very rare and pricey...I have a chance to get a SP101..anybody ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SP101??

SP101??

I am wantng a 357 with less than a 4" barrel. Smiths are getting very rare and pricey...I have a chance to get a SP101..anybody carry this revolver? I have't owned a Ruger double action before. How is the recoil on the snubby 357's? thanks Robbie

2. Remove Ads

Great gun. I have one in my collection. Easily concealed with an IWB holster. Recoil is very manageable due to the heavier construction. I would recommend this revolver any day!

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    You may have a hard time with full loads if you are recoil shy. I really don't think that the recoil of full loads in the SP 101 is particularly harsh, but, I've been shooting for about 40 years or so.

Honestly, if you are dead set on a revolver, it's hard to beat the SP 101. It's built like a tank and will last a lifetime. However, since I have better choices available, I don't carry the SP 101 much. I'd rather carry my Glock 23 which weighs around the same loaded with 12 rounds of 40 cal or my Glock 36 with 7 rounds of 45 cal. Or my Glock 19 with 15 rounds. More fire power in a lighter package.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by southarkrob View Post
    I am wantng a 357 with less than a 4" barrel. Smiths are getting very rare and pricey...I have a chance to get a SP101..anybody carry this revolver? I have't owned a Ruger double action before. How is the recoil on the snubby 357's? thanks Robbie
    Its built like a tank, very strong and robust. Recoil with full power .357 loads is stout, managable but stout. You will not want to shoot the handhun all day with these loads but its fun....for a while. In contrast .38 are downright pleasent to shoot. Its a very well made revolver and you cannot go wrong owning one.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Thanks...I am wanting a 357 to cc while deer hunting and riding my big red on the deer leases. Are they as accurate as a smith???? I have been looking at some badger grips for one also. I am thinking about getting a simply rugged silver dollar pancake holster for it also... I would be rich if it wasn't for guns... Robbie

I agree with all the positive comments above. I owned an S&W M&P 340 prior to this, and after shooting that, the recoil on this is almost comfortable.

Ruger SP101, Spurless Hammer, Badger Grips:

Get one!!!

A great revolver for sure, .38 for everyday shooting and a load of .357 for SD...that'll work.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by southarkrob View Post
    Thanks...I am wanting a 357 to cc while deer hunting and riding my big red on the deer leases.
    I'm wanting to get one for a field/hunting gun also. You may want to check out the 3 1/16" barrel model, like the one in Pirate's post. To me that would be the optimum field gun. A little longer barrel for accuracy, but still small and compact enough not to get in the way.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

If I'm going to carry a 3" Revolver I prefer the GP100 because it holds six rounds instead of the five that the SP101 holds.

With that said, I have a 2 1/4" SP101 that I carry as a BUG to my 3" GP100. I feel they make a great combo. The SP101 is the smallest and lightest Revolver I want to fire "full house" magnum loads out of, but that's just me.

I find that the SP101 is a great little revolver, and it cleans up nice with a little gunsmithing.

Biker

A security Six 3-4in is accurate as one can be without a vice rest ; ) H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    The recoil will largely depend on how the gun fits your hand. It may sound strange, but I find an SP101 to mitigate felt recoil every bit as well as a K-frame S&W, and notably better than a 4" Ruger Speed Six. I hold HIGH on the grip; most folks who did not grow up with sixguns, taught by a knowledgeable mentor, tend to hold revolvers TOO LOW on the grip, which increases kick, resulting in the weapon slamming the web of the hand. The web of your hand should be all the way up to the top of the rubberized portion of the grip. This causes recoil to go into the wrist, instead of the web of the hand. You may may to scoot down just a hair to clear the hammer spur for single-action shooting, but I almost never shoot an SP101 SA, and two of mine don't have hammer spurs, anyway. The hammer does not travel back as far in DA shooting as in SA mode.

FWIW, my hands tend to prefer a size large glove, though my fingers are not long enough to fill the glove's fingers, and are skinny, so I generally squeeze into medium-sized gloves on the rare occasions I wear gloves.

For frame of reference, I don't like to shoot anything more stout than .38 +P out of an Airweight S&W J-frame, and find S&W J-frame Airlites to be torture devices with .38s. I can shoot .357 mag 180-grain Federal Castcore ammo from an SP101 with no pain, and 145-grain Silvertips are almost pleasant.

Edited to add: That is not an SP101 in my avatar, but a 3" GP100 with adjustable sights, a quite rare bird.

Cool... I am leaning towards the 3" ...I really like those badger grips..thanks guys...I appreciate the comments...Robbie

I just bought the SP101 yesterday. I put about 20 rounds of 357 thru it, and about 20 rounds of .38. Having never shot the 357 round before, it is managable--i was putting probably 5/6 on a 10" target standing probably 20' back. The 38s went thru a lot easier. So far, I'm loving this gun (picked over the S&W 642), but will probably not carry it much due to same reasons Freedomofchoice said above--I'll likely still carry my glock 23 more as well.
    BLONDIE: You may run the risks, my friend, but I do the cutting. If we cut down my percentage... cigar? Liable to interfere with my aim.

It's my EDC

The Sp101 is my EDC. I own SAs but I prefer the wheel gun. I am contemplating an LCR as a BUG and run to the Wawa gun. Sometimes I want to just put it into my pocket and grab a sanwhich whereas the SP is a little big for that for my taste. I prefer a 38+P self defense load which I can use for both. That said my brothers and I put 357 full house through it at the range! You cannot go wrong with this pistol.

Note: I own a Glock and it is my house gun but the SP rides my hip.

I have two Ruger SP-101's 2 1/4 inch barrel and one Ruger Speed Six with a 3 inch barrel.

They are all excellent guns. Recoil is quite manageable too. If you want a 6 shot gun look for a Ruger GP-100 or a used Speed Six or Security Six with 3" barrels. If you want a 5 shot gun, the SP-101 is hard to beat.

For the record, I really like stainless Ruger revolvers!

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links