Police backup/off duty carry pistol

This is a discussion on Police backup/off duty carry pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To start off, I'm a junior in college working for a degree in criminal justice. I want to work as a police officer after graduating. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police backup/off duty carry pistol

Police backup/off duty carry pistol

To start off, I'm a junior in college working for a degree in criminal justice. I want to work as a police officer after graduating. I haven't decided what department or where yet but I kind of want to work for the DEA eventually. I already have an XD9 service at home. However, my dad wants to buy me a pistol for a graduation present. He said that once I know what I want he will get it for me. This will be my carry pistol for now and probably my off duty carry once I get a job. Since I don't know where I will work, I don't know what pistols they supply/allow for duty pistols. So I don't want to get one pistol now and have it be vastly different from my duty pistol (grip angle, operation, etc.) I was wondering how many people carry different pistols with minor/major differences and how easy or hard it is to adapt to those differences. Like carrying a Glock for one period of time and then switching to a 1911. I would especially like to hear from former/current officers who maybe carry pistols different than their standard issue/duty pistols.

2. Remove Ads

I am not a LEO, but logic says to me that you need to contact the agency or agencies that you are interested in and ask them their on-duty and off-duty firearms policy.

Some departments have specific requirements for off-duty guns and some don't. Only by asking will you find out which.

Good luck with the research.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Senior Moderator
    I carry a Glock 21 on duty with a KelTec PF9 backup.

Both are pretty much the same as far as operation, you just pull the trigger until it goes bang.

When off duty, I usually carry either a Colt XSE or one of several Sigs, depending on what mood I am in.

I have yet to have a problem, but I do practice extensively with all of them.

I think that the key is practice,practice and then more practice. Since I have been shooting since I was in grade school, there really isn't a gun that I am not comfortable with and there aren't many left that I haven't shot unless they are brand spanking new. I collect guns, and have several of each type.

I guess its what you are used to. If you have limited experience with handguns, its probably a good idea to stay with what you know, something that you can shoot well enough and be practiced enough that you are unconsciously competent with, meaning that you can draw, fire and hit the target with out much thought.

What works for me, though, may not work for you. If you have good hand eye coordination, you would have less of a problem than the guy that has a hard time tying his shoes.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    First, every department is different in what they issue or allow. There is no way for you to get something now that will be 100% adaptable to your future departments regs.

I carry a Glock 17 on duty and a Glock 30 off-duty.
    I shot/carried my HK USP45 full size for about 8 years before I got the 30 for CCW. For me, going from the HK to the glock wasn't that difficult. However, after shooting glocks for the majority of the time for the last 4 years, then shooting the HK every once in awhile (true double action) it showed how rusty I was with the traditional DA.
    I also have a Keltec P11 that I'm qualifying with next week to use as a backup (will also be an additional off-duty piece along with my G30). That trigger does take some getting used to, but as with every other firearm.....practice practice practice. I feel completely comfortable with it and hit 1 foot square steel plates at 25 yards so I'm pretty confident with it as a backup.

The only suggestion I can tell you, if you're really concerned, is to not get another XD series and get something in a different caliber so you have something different, increasing your chances on being compliant with future department regs.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Get what you want to CCW now and worry about the dept gun later. Get a Glock 19
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    You can disregard that recommendation not to get another XD series. There a quite a few agencies that have the XD's on their approval list and several that have them as their issue weapon, our local Sheriff's office being one of the latter.

I would go for a different caliber - not that there is anything wrong with 9mm. I carry a XD9sc daily. However, I also have a XD40 service which also gets carried on occasion.

The idea of a different caliber, .40cal or .45cal is that many agencies use or the other and the more familiar you are with them, the better.

Heck, tell your Dad you need two pistols and get one of each!
    NRA Life Member

I carry a Sig-Sauer on duty (40cal- very nice shooter) But off duty I, and many other Officers, carry revolvers. I personally carry the Ruger SP101.
    If you are planning to enforce the law and make arrests off duty (not recommended!) then carry your duty gun. If you want something small and dependable go for a revolver.
    I would hold off on spending big money for semi-auto until you have a better idea of what you like.

VIP Member
    I'd just get whatever you like for a BUG now and not worry about it. You'll adapt.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I'd just get whatever you like for a BUG now and not worry about it. You'll adapt.
    +1... Best advice yet!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

+2..the agency you hire on with may or may not approve what you get as a present. They will issue you at least one. Besides if you need another BUG they approve other than your current its a good excuse to buy another gun.

That being said. I would say a Glock 26 is always a good safe bet, as they have the lion's share of the LE market. You also could not go wrong with a good J-frame. I highly recommend the Smith 340 M&P. It is my BUG on duty.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    You can disregard that recommendation not to get another XD series. There a quite a few agencies that have the XD's on their approval list and several that have them as their issue weapon, our local Sheriff's office being one of the latter.

I would go for a different caliber - not that there is anything wrong with 9mm. I carry a XD9sc daily. However, I also have a XD40 service which also gets carried on occasion.

The idea of a different caliber, .40cal or .45cal is that many agencies use or the other and the more familiar you are with them, the better.
    My suggestion that you say to disregard was using the same logic as you and I both state for getting something in a different caliber....an attempt to cover more options.
    Getting a weapon of same type would be limiting the chances of covering more options.
    I would have said the same suggestion if he had a Glock, HK or Sig already, and show no bias in my suggestion just because my department uses a certain type(s).

BigD7....if you truly want to have the biggest chance of having a firearm now that will be approved by an agency in the future, you'll need to get something different from what you already have, thats just simple logic. Since you already have a XD 9, then think of Sig or Glock 45 or 40, simple as that.
    But, as I and others said earlier, you might just not worry about it and cross that bridge when you get there. Good luck.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I'll second Thumper and say get a TRUE BUG, that more than likely(not 100%,of course)will pass muster with a dept. down the road. That would be something like a DAO Smith J-Frame(Airweight or steel)in 38Spl. Revolvers always go BANG and a 5-shot is always a good choice. Good Luck !
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

The thing is that I will probably be leaving the XD service at home. My dad and my brother both love it. Plus it's the home defense gun at the moment.

Nek

M&P

Just to add my two cents:
    I have a XDm9 bittone and like everything about it except the mag release doesnt work well with a full mag. It is fairly similar to the XD service that you use. I was totally convinced that I was going to get a XDSC as my backup gun after looking over a G26/27, and a M&Pc.
    Well what I did end up getting was a M&Pc40 because it had a few perks. It has a longer sight radius, with the flat magazine base it is shorter than the XDSC, and my number one reason was the slide serrations. On a smaller gun I feel this is more important as there is less purchase area and those agressive serrations were not going to let my thumb/finger slip if I should have to rack the slide under pressure. Oh another perk was that it comes in blackend stainless, where as the XDSC you have to pay extra for the stainless and its not black.
    I got mine NIB a month ago for $457 OTD.
    Last edited by Nek; October 8th, 2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: price

My department requires me to carry a glock 19 on duty. I can carry any firearm I want off duty as long as I qualify with it at at the range. Off duty and as a BUG I carry a PPS 40 or a MP 40c, plus an extra magazine. Some departments will supply their officers with an on duty weapon as well as an off duty weapon. So it might be worth waiting until you get appointed to an agency. Good Luck

First, every department is different in what they issue or allow. There is no way for you to get something now that will be 100% adaptable to your future departments regs.
    Every agency or department is different, and nothing stays the same.

The department I stated with issued revolvers. Now revolvers are a distant memory for that department and my current agency doesn't allow a BUG.

Off Duty I can carry what I want, so I take advantage of it and carry what I want. I carry a BUG off duty, and sometimes two BUGS. I carry two BUGS when my primary is a revolver.

In short, instead of making a short story longer, don't worry about the bullet luancher. If you want to buy a gun, buy what you want and learn to shoot it well. Have the basic fundamentals down cold and know what a proper trigger pull and sight picture are. To me that sounds like a good 4" Revolver.

Revolvers are good for really teaching, and learning to master the basics. If you can shoot a revolver well, you can shoot anything, as they are the hardest to master.

Biker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links