Do I really need a gun belt?

This is a discussion on Do I really need a gun belt? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have just a regular belt for my PPS w/ an IWB crossbreed minituck and it seems fine...so do I really need a gun belt?...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do I really need a gun belt?

Do I really need a gun belt?

I have just a regular belt for my PPS w/ an IWB crossbreed minituck and it seems fine...so do I really need a gun belt?

2. Remove Ads

A real gun belt help keep the holstered weapon in place and also reduce the chance of the belt twisting when trying to draw.
    Kimber Pro Carry II
    SIG Sauer P229, 238, Mosquito
    Beretta 92FS
    Custom STI 1911
    Glock 17 Gen 3
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

after a while your gun will sag away from the body. The belt won't hug the gun close to the body
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

You have a nice gun and a nice holster. You don't have a nice belt. That's like having a nice car with a nice stereo but lousy tires. Makes no sense. Get a belt.

As long as you are comfortable carrying your guns and they feel secure, your good to go. I personally got tired of wally world belts so I tried a 1.5" 5.11 Tactical/Trainer belt. I had a promo code for the NRA store so I took a leap and I am very happy I did. I got it for under 30 bucks shipped and I has made all the difference in the world. 5.11 Tactical/Trainer Belt is 29.99, but with the MC39 Promo code, it took 8.99 off, and shipping was about 8 so it worked out good. The code works for me :-D

ok thanks...there's this guy I know who keeps telling me to get a gun belt so I thought I'd ask, also he doesn't even carry yet. He has his CCW, a nice pistol, but no holster! Also he has a Sony Bravia LCD tv for over a year, but still doesn't have cable tv yet!

i would get one, i spent $70 on a Galco sb5 and will last forever....

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneSRQ View Post
    I have just a regular belt for my PPS w/ an IWB crossbreed minituck and it seems fine...so do I really need a gun belt?
    Yes.

Wait after a few months of CCW, then you won't have to ask that questions...guaranteed.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

No- you don't need a "Gun Belt".
    You do not need to go buy a specific brand name belt that was made to hold a gun. But you do need something better than a thin cotton belt.
    What you need is a belt of sufficient width and strength that it can support the weight of your gun AND hold you pant's up at the same time.
    I work with numerous Police Detectives and very few buy their belts at the uniform store. While it's true that actual gun belts will be stronger- the tough part is finding one that doesn't LOOK like a gun belt. (Unless you want everyone to know that you are carrying)

Let's think about this in terms of the problems that need to be solved.

To have a holstered gun on the outside of the body, the gear must be carried, ideally held in place, ideally not flopping around. Unless, of course, you want to hold it in your hand, tie it via the trigger guard, or use duct tape.

There is a certain quality to the carry that helps get the job done, including how closely the gun is held to the body, how well the gear helps avoid "printing," how well the gear helps avoid flopping around, and so on.

Something has got to get the job done. So long as it does, whether someone calls that something a "gun belt" or not, then it works. If not, not. If you can end up finding something that'll achieve the same things a well-designed belt does, then you'll have succeeded ... whatever it's called.

My choice, therefore, is a decent "gun" belt. Personally, I don't have time to futz around searching for alternatives that will end up solving the problems as well as a well-designed "gun" belt already does. A proper product is designed to solve the various problems that a ~30oz butt-heavy weight outside my body poses. I have yet to find an alternative that solves the problems as well.

YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I bought my belt at wall-mart almost 2 years ago for like $15. And I'll be damned... It holds my pants up and my holster fits on it. My wall-mart belt kills two birds with one stone.
    "A coward dies a thousand deaths. But a man dies only once."

Thanks for setting my friend straight. As I have personally told the original poster the benefits of a proper "gun" belt. Now, if someone could only talk some sense into him about not carrying WWB fmj rounds as his CC defensive ammo he will be in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by 14gIV View Post
    Now, if someone could only talk some sense into him about not carrying WWB fmj rounds as his CC defensive ammo he will be in good shape.
    He said he's using a minituck, so I assume he carries a .380? WWB FMJ isn't a bad choice for .380 defensive ammo.

As for belts, you can get by with a regular belt, but once you've worn a gun belt, you'll see the error of your ways.

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneSRQ View Post
    Also he has a Sony Bravia LCD tv for over a year, but still doesn't have cable tv yet!
    In all fairness, he can get HDTV with an Over the Air Antenna . . . and get a 5 times sharper picture than me. I have to stare at a 27" analog Sony while using my ridiculously overpriced cable DVR.

Anyway . . . No, you don't need a specific gun belt, just a decent quality one. Keep your eye out for sales at local shops for 1.5" belts of good quality and you should be fine. If it doesn't work well with your rig, take advantage of their return policy.

Whenever I try a "gun" belt, I really don't feel a difference compared to my other quality belts I have purchased. Wouldn't you know it, my pants haven't fallen down yet, and I have never pulled a Plaxico Burress.
    Glock 26 w/ CTAC IWB

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far" - Theodore Roosevelt

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links