Compact Auto Comparison chart

This is a discussion on Compact Auto Comparison chart within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, I figure my next purchase will be a compact or sub-compact auto-pistol for winter CC. In thinking about what to get, I wished ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compact Auto Comparison chart

Hi All,

I figure my next purchase will be a compact or sub-compact auto-pistol for winter CC. In thinking about what to get, I wished there was a chart similar to Bobo's Pocket Comparison chart hosted over on MouseGuns.com. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted it. So, I contacted Bobo, got his comparison figures, and made one. It's located at

http://mouseguns.com/CompactCompare.pdf

The intent of the chart is to compare all automatic pistols that meet the following requirements.

1. Greater than or equal to 6 inches in total length, but less than 7.
    2. Currently in production
    3. One of these calibers. 380ACP, 9x19, 357Sig, 40S&W, 10mm, 45ACP, or 45GAP.

Yep, I know there are a lot of good guns out there in other calibers, or are a little larger, but I had to set some limits to reduce the scope and these are what I chose.

The chart I made is fully compatible with Bobo's chart. If you're considering trade-offs between a gun on his chart and one on mine, the diagrams are 1 to 1 so a direct comparison can be made.

There's holes still in my data. If someone has one of these guns and will post here or PM the info to me, I'll update the chart. Ditto for any guns that I might have missed or any typos or errors in the chart.

I hope y'all find the chart useful. My thanks to Bobo for giving me his comparison components to make the chart, and to MouseGuns.com for hosting it!

Cheers,
    David

Very nice! I wish that I had something like this a long time ago.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Great chart! i just showed this to 2 buddies and they wanted it printed asap. Nicely done!
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Good work. I might have missed them, but I'd like to see the Kel-Tec P3-AT, P-11, and PF-9, the Kahr PM9 and PM40, the North American Arms Guardian 380, The Rohrbach R9. Thanks for the great effort!
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

This chart is sweet! Great to look at for choosing my next pistola!

Makes me lean toward the CZ 2075 RAMI in .40--really helpful thank you!
    CZ P-06
    Glock 23 OD with CT laser
    S&W 642

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Good work. I might have missed them, but I'd like to see the Kel-Tec P3-AT, P-11, and PF-9, the Kahr PM9 and PM40, the North American Arms Guardian 380, The Rohrbach R9. Thanks for the great effort!
    I agree on the Kahr's!

Great chart, VERY helpful, thanks!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Thanks all for the thanks.

Regarding these guns, they all fall in the "under 6 inch" category, which my chart doesn't cover. But, Bobo's chart at

http://mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

does.
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

Here's the problem with the chart. I'm sure the numbers are correct. It's so two dimensional. I have both a Kahr PM-9 and a Sig 238. When I did the math the Sig is only about 1/2" smaller in both dimensions. But in your hand, in the real world, the difference is HUGE. The Sig feels tiny compared to the Kahr.
    The chart is a start, but until you feel one in your hand, you won't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Here's the problem with the chart. I'm sure the numbers are correct. It's so two dimensional. I have both a Kahr PM-9 and a Sig 238. When I did the math the Sig is only about 1/2" smaller in both dimensions. But in your hand, in the real world, the difference is HUGE. The Sig feels tiny compared to the Kahr.
    The chart is a start, but until you feel one in your hand, you won't know.
    Yep, I agree the chart is just a start. What it gives you is a visual comparison of a lot of guns, and an idea of the size difference. But, like you said, there isn't any substitute for actually holding one in your hand.....
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Great chart, thanks for putting in the effort. It should prove very useful to many people.

I noticed a couple ??s

The Beretta 84/85 Cheetah frame is aluminium alloy.

Kahr TP9 and T9 trigger is rated by Kahr at 7 lbs, 3/8" pull
    The Kahr NYPD trigger has a 1/2" pull.
    The current TP9 is an 8 shot pistol with a 4.95" grip, basically the same as a T9 only with a polymer frame.

According to HK the P30 trigger pull is 11.5/4.5 for DA/SA, same as the P2000 series
    Last edited by ripley16; October 9th, 2009 at 08:00 PM.

Great chart! And much needed!

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    Great chart, thanks for putting in the effort. It should prove very useful to many people.
    Thanks for the thanks! Thanks also for the info! There are a lot of holes that I just couldn't fill in. A couple of questions, though.

I noticed a couple ??s

The Beretta 84/85 Cheetah frame is aluminium alloy.

Kahr TP9 and T9 trigger is rated by Kahr at 7 lbs, 3/8" pull
    The Kahr NYPD trigger has a 1/2" pull.
    Do you mean the trigger pull is 7lbs and has 3/8 inch of travel? And the NYPD has 1/2 inch of travel?

The current TP9 is an 8 shot pistol with a 4.95" grip, basically the same as a T9 only with a polymer frame.
    Is the total height from base to top 4.95 inches?

According to HK the P30 trigger pull is 11.5/4.5 for DA/SA, same as the P2000 series

Quote Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
    Great chart! And much needed!

Bobo
    Thanks, Bobo. And thank you for the upfront work putting together all the components that make it work so well!

Very nice job!

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dal205 View Post
    Thanks for the thanks! Thanks also for the info! There are a lot of holes that I just couldn't fill in. A couple of questions, though.

Do you mean the trigger pull is 7lbs and has 3/8 inch of travel? And the NYPD has 1/2 inch of travel?
    Yes, Travel not pull, my mistake. These are the numbers directly from The Kahr website and they compare to the Kahrs I own.

Is the total height from base to top 4.95 inches?
    Yes. I own both the T9 and TP9. They are virtually the same size, however there does exist another TP9 with a short grip, short dust cover, so the 4.5" height isn't wrong, it's just not what Kahr is currently shipping.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links