SP101 vs Model 19 4"

This is a discussion on SP101 vs Model 19 4" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guys, I went looking today and my local shop has a 2 1/2" sp101 with fixed sights and a blued S&W Mod 19 with a ...

Thread: SP101 vs Model 19 4"

SP101 vs Model 19 4"

Guys,

I went looking today and my local shop has a 2 1/2" sp101 with fixed sights and a blued S&W Mod 19 with a 4" barrel for about the same price... my question is..how well do the fixed site SP's shoot?? I really like the SP but kinda like the 19 also...Thanks Robbie

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I have no problem getting a good group with the sights on my SP 101. The 19 is real nice, holds one more round than the SP, but I can't see it for carrying concealed. If it's just going to be a range gun, I'd take the 19 over the SP; but for carry, it's the SP.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Both nice pieces....I prefer the 19 as I like the magnum, but they should both carry easily enough....and SP101 is as rugged as they get. The 19's are getting a little harder to find these days, so if you want a classic....get it now.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

NRA Life Member
    USCG Veteran

VIP Member
    The 19 is a classic. I think I'd lean towards it over an SP101. I can find an SP anytime, but a really nice 19, is not that easy to find these days.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    The 19 is a classic. I think I'd lean towards it over an SP101. I can find an SP anytime, but a really nice 19, is not that easy to find these days.
    I agree with this. The Model 19 won't be as easy to find but you can pick up the Ruger easy enough later. If the 19 is in good condition I'd choose it. It WILL make a good concealed carry gun and it doesn't have the accursed internal lock. I have both the model 19 and the 2-1/4" SP101. I wouldn't part with either gun.
    Be reasonable. See things my way.

Senior Moderator
    Learn to point shoot and you won't need the sights...I'd get the shorter barrel for CCW.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

As rtsp99 said POINT shooting is the way too go, with anything your going to
    carry, PRACTICE,PRACTICE,& MORE PRACTICE ; ) H/D
    PS I'D Get the S&W 19 Rugger will be around awhile
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Thanks guys...I agree with the point and shoot idea...I have been shooting NAAs and LCP's...so I am pretty familiar with that concept... the 19 isn't showroom clean...somebody notched the stock grips for a speedloader a long time ago... it has a little holster wear and a trigger shoe on it... but with a 4" 357 mag I can deer hunt with it also...decisions decisions...thanks guys...Robbie

I traded my 2 1/4" Model 19 for a Ruger P89DC way back when. Have kicked myself MANY times for letting it go.

Take the 19 if it's in good shape, you can always find an SP 101 later.

Tracy
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

I've owned both, except my SP was a 3" barrel. They're both SUPERB weapons but apples and oranges. I carried my M19 when I was an armed security guard in college. It was so big, I carried it in a SafariLand shoulder holster. Also a Bianchi "Pancake" holster. I took a deer with the M19 but I wouldn't have tried that shot with the SP101. The M19 had adjustable sights. While the fixed sights on the SP were fine for self defense, it wasn't a gun where I'd be comfortable being accurate over 21 feet. Even then the groups wouldn't be very tight.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; NRA Endowment Life; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

S&W 19 snubby

You should really compare the Ruger to a S&W model 19 with 2.5 inch barrel. The 4 inch model 19 has a square butt grip which is harder to conceal than the round butt grip on the 2.5 inch version. I would always take the model 19 over the Ruger just based on the feel of the trigger, which is far superior in the S&W.

The 2.5 inch model 19 conceals well and makes a great carry gun.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post

TX-JB is spot on mate.

Biker

+1 for SP101
    ( o=)==:::

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links