Ruger SR9 ?

This is a discussion on Ruger SR9 ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking of buying a Ruger SR9 and add it to my CCW rotation of Guns. Anyone carry One? How do you like it?...

Thread: Ruger SR9 ?

Ruger SR9 ?

I am thinking of buying a Ruger SR9 and add it to my CCW rotation of Guns. Anyone carry One? How do you like it?

2. Remove Ads

I have an SR9 and love it, but I don't carry it as my concealed. IMO, still a bit too big for concealed carry, but that's personal preference.
    Pros: 17+1 is hard to beat in a gun that size, nice feel and weight, shoots well.
    Cons: Not a lot of accessories made for it, plastic recoil spring rod is easy to get boogered up

Its a nice gun for a nice price. I've never had an issue with mine with 1000+ rounds fired.

Go Bulls

VIP Member
    I liked mine. There are smaller 9mm's out there though. The trigger is a little heavier that some like and it is a little bit less that smooth. That being said, I still liked mine. It was accurate enough at SD distances, but I would not want to do any long distance bullseye shooting with it. It will shoot just about anything you put in it. I never had a function problem with mine.

I did eventually sell mine for a GLOCK 19. Size issue not quality. I say try it out first, obviously, but if you are getting a good deal and it floats your boat, go for it. If, however, you have other options and think this will be an improvement, I have to honestly say dollar for dollar there are better options out there.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Thanks for the impute. I am not in a hurry. I like how thin it is. I herd they may come out with a compact. If it's the size of my G26, still thin, and still holds 10 or more rounds that could be sweet.

I really like the way it looks and have heard good things about it, but the one thing I've been reading is how the barrel and/or slide are getting peened. From what I've read, there's no way of knowing if you get one that will peen or not. Here's a link of what I'm talking about:

RugerForum.com :: View topic - Yet Another Peening Problem

Another:
    RugerForum.com :: View topic - SR9 Barrel Tab Peening, Pic added

And another:
    RugerForum.com :: View topic - Shot Count to Peening

The last post mentions how it can happen even when you're up to roughly 800 rounds. For me, I usually shoot around 300 rounds for a break-in and I'd hate to do it all over again because of a peening issue. Once past the break-in period, I like having the warm fuzzy that I can trust the item. Of course, as round count goes up, parts will break like any other machine. That's to be expected.

Just an FYI.

cmb
    I am a ruger fan, own several of their pistols and rifles and was sold on the SR9 till I had some time with XDM9, I will buy the XDM now... similar size, more rounds, good fit for me...

I think Rob Pincus on the Best defense uses one a lot. He is a very well reputed trainer. Doesnt look like my bag but they seem okay .
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I have one and love it! It is one of the most accurate pistols I have ever owned. I carry it when the weather is cooler(like it is now). All in all, with some good Double Tap ammo I feel completely safe carrying the SR9!

The only place the Ruger falls behind to say the G19 is in the length of the grip, in the same position the SR9 will print sooner. It is also thinner however which is one of it's strongest points IMO.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I used to have one, hated the trigger and magazine disconnect safety. I sold it and went back to Glock. The ergonomics on the SR9 are excellent and has an impressive mag capacity for such a thin gun.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Hey guys,

I did use an early SR9 last year on a couple of episodes of TBD. That example actually had a pretty terrible trigger and was not used after about an an hour of taping.

Just last week, however, I was loaned a 2nd SR9 and it shot really well. Apparently, there was a trigger re-design at some point in the last year and it made a world of difference! The second gun, which apparently represents the current factory gun, was a pleasure to shoot and performed well.

That said, I haven't fired more than 100 rounds out of the pistol and can't really vouch for its viability as a carry gun or long term durability.

-RJP

About six months ago I bought this OD SR9 just for the heck of it and put several hundred rounds of a variety of 9 mm stuff through it with not a problem of any kind. This was a post recall pistol and I was personally impressed with the trigger action on it. Took it out shooting with a friend who decided on the spot that he just had to have that gun and just would not take no for an answer. So, I sold it to him for a fair price.

My opinion is that the SR9 us a fine, polymer pistol that is both reliable and accurate. Based only on my experience I would have to recommend it quite highly.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Links