Thinking about making a trade

This is a discussion on Thinking about making a trade within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got some very close friends who not too long ago bought my ex's glock 23 off of her. As it was their first handgun, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about making a trade

Thinking about making a trade

I've got some very close friends who not too long ago bought my ex's glock 23 off of her. As it was their first handgun, I agreed to help show them some things about it and help familiarize themselves with shooting. I took along my XDM and we spent a few hours in their backyard shooting at different things such as paper targets, paper plates, and water filled milk jugs. They had a lot of fun, and felt a lot more comfortable with having a handgun in the house.

Of course, we shot both handguns, and they really liked my XDM, my friend and his wife had both made comments that they liked the feel of the XDM better, with his wife also commenting that she had an easier time controlling the XDM as well. At that time, they jokingly made the suggestion that we should trade. I turned them down back then.

Well yesterday I went over so we could do some shooting again. Shooting both pistols again, I realized that I still like the glock and would definitely have an easier time concealing the 23. So this time I made the suggestion that we do an even trade. They both said that they liked the XDM better, and that they'd rather have a full sized pistol than a compact for their home anyway. They want to borrow it, and put a good amount of ammo through it to make sure.

So, they're going to bring the glock to me to hold on to while they borrow my XDM this week and put it through it's paces.

I'm not trying to start a Springfield vs. Glock debate here, and I'm really hoping it doesn't devolve into that. But does anyone else think I'm making a good trade? The glock has only had about 350 to 400 rounds put through it, and they're including the fobus paddleback holster and double mag pouch that they were given when they first bought it. Both are .40's, and I'll be going from carrying 49 to 40 rounds on me (I always carry 2 spare mags on me if I'm carrying my gun), but I don't feel like I'm going to be undergunned if I do make this switch. This is a 3rd generation glock 23 by the way.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

2. Remove Ads

Sounds fair to me . The most important thing is that neither party feels taken advantage of. 40 rounds should be plenty.

RMS
    If both parties are happy then it is a good trade for everyone.

Personally I see trading like this: Regardless of whats being traded(unless you have absolutely no idea of it's value) A good trade is one that ends up with both parties having a firearm they like better than the one they traded. If there is any doubt about that, then don't trade.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

VIP Member
    Honestly, having had both weapons, I think the XDM is a slightly better weapon but I agree for CCW the Glock would be my choice.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    You're probably taking a hit on the XDm, but like jca1 said, if your both happier with the trade, go for it. Just remember, sellers remorse goes with trades also!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

kpw
    As has been said, if your both happy with the deal, it's a good one. The 23 is a much easier package to carry, size and weight wise.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Distinguished Member
    It sounds like a good trade to me. They are both good pistols.

Well, the 23 was what I would take if I was leaving and the ex was staying at home. The price of the two doesn't really matter too much to me, as I was the original buyer of both. I bought the 23 in November of last year as her Christmas gift(and since it was right after the elections, it was more expensive than normal), and bought the XDM in March of this year. So in all honesty, there was probably only about $40 difference in what I paid for the two. Plus the fobus accesories, while they aren't the best, weren't exactly free either. And I'll be getting those back too.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

All things being equal (sights, finish, number of mags) there is only maybe a 20 or 30 dollar difference with the XDm having the small edge. So it is really what you and your friend prefer.

You know it, and you can't deny it any longer! I hope this works out for you!

Honestly, having had both weapons, I think the XDM is a slightly better weapon but I agree for CCW the Glock would be my choice.
    So....being this is a CCW forum and all, would that insinuate the XDM is better suited as a 'range gun', 'truck gun', or what gun?
    Honestly don't mean to fester something...but you know me. If it aint your choice for CCW then what is it "better" than?
    Something to ponder for us all.

I took this pic awhile ago. They're both black, both have 3 factory mags, and both have the original case and all accessories.

I wish I had the money to buy my own Glock, but it's just not an option right now. And while I'd planned on just waiting until the tax refund rolls in next year to get another Glock, I may just buy another XDM instead.

Μολών λαβέ!

VIP Member
    Since you are all friends, If everyone's happy with the trade it seems like a good deal all around. I'm not sure how big the XDm is, but I have an XD45 4" and if the XDm is the same size as the XD, it's definitely going to be easier to CC the 23. My XD is my nightstand/house gun.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

PHB
    I have carried the 23 and have A XD for CCW the 23 get +1 I do not know how well you know these people just make sure you do the paper work It is Illegal to loan a conciable firearm other than that sounds like a good trade if ever one is happy.

Good Luck Be Safe
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." -- President John F. Kennedy

You will both be filling your needs with the trade. They get a HD gun they are happy with and youget the CCW you like better anyways. I would go for it. Suggest they cook you a good dinner for the boot difference in price. LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links