High Noon Holsters "skin"

This is a discussion on High Noon Holsters "skin" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need to pick up a holster for my Taurus 709 and was looking at the high noon holster "Skin deep". Does anyone have any ...

Thread: High Noon Holsters "skin"

I need to pick up a holster for my Taurus 709 and was looking at the high noon holster "Skin deep". Does anyone have any expirence with the "skin" materials/holsters. The reason I'm looking at one of those instead of a higher quality leather is because they are a stocking item and I was hoping ot get one fairly quickly.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Check out the Defensive Holsters Thread.

Holster help (High Noon)

I bought one of their holsters and a mag pouch that was made of this laminate skin material and sent them back. It was not molded (boned) for a custom fit to my weapon, and collapsed after the draw, making a one-handed reholster almost impossible. I don't consider these holsters fit for concealed carry.

" I don't consider these holsters fit for concealed carry." adroitus

To each his own but my experience with their products and website is a little different.

I wanted holsters for 2 pistols that were to be worn OWB. They had to be as thin as possible, durable and have good retention ability.

The holsters I ordered are not boned or wet fit, they took a day to form and fit to my pistols. The holsters add only .2 (1/5) of an inch to the overall thickness of my pistols. They have a lining that feels like felt and is gentle to the pistol's finish. They cover the trigger guard and magazine release.

Yes they are not the easiest when it comes to reholstering. They are however, extremely durable, well fitting, very thin holsters that keep my pistols close to the body with excellent retention (upside down pistol shake method) and great concealability.

If I was worried more about reholstering than carrying in a secure, durable and well concealed manner I would look into the other holsters they offer that are reinforced and will stay open after you draw.

The website is very specific as to what each type and style of holster can and cannot do.

OMO

bosco

"To each his own but my experience with their products and website is a little different"

I ordered a High Noon split decision IWB for my Rohrbaugh 9mm, it came real quick, when it arrived I read on the package that it fits the Seecamp 380 and the Rohrbaugh R9.
    Have you ever seen the size difference of the two firearms? I tried to make it fit, it would not. I called the manufacturer and he said I needed to stretch it to make it fit, to his credit he also said I could send it back and they would do it for me..... I wonder why they did not make sure it fit the firearm before they sent it out? I followed the instructions he gave me and it just never worked, the leather was so thin, the metal washer and screw tensioner near the trigger guard started digging through the leather and damaging the finish to my nice little gun. I figured I would not get a return after the grommet area started to tear so I chalked it up to a learning experience. I ordered a holster for my R9 from Hidden Holsters and never looked back.

To each his own......
    Last edited by Josey Wales; October 11th, 2009 at 04:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I used the Skin deep for a while. The holster angle didn't suit me, but I had no issues with the holster or matching mag pouch and belt.

Was in stock and shipped fast. Something you can't get with custom holsters.

Here is my review.
    SECOND SKIN RIG!

I had a Skin Deep for a Glock 27. Sold the pistol, so sold the holster as well. I really liked the holster - was very durable and always looked good. They come flat as a pancake when you get them, but they will conform to shape after awhile. FWIW, I would buy another without hesitation.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

I have to agree with Griz...I have had 2 of their holsters..and couldn't get a good fit on either one of them... some people love them and I'm not one of them... just didn't work for me..Robbie

My first experience with High Noon was with the "Split Decision" holster that I got for a new pistol -- a Springfield EMP. I thought I'd get something that could last for me until a custom leather holster was made. Well, I REALLY liked the comfort and slimness of the synthetic holster. What I didn't like was the fact that the safety on the 1911 dug into my side and, in general, the unnerving possibility that such rubbing could switch the safety to the off position. So, I ordered the "Alter Ego" holster from High Noon. This is a leather holster (rough side out) that does come with a back strap that covers the complete slide on my gun. In fact, I've bought a second Alter Ego for a Sig P245. I wouldn't carry a full-size pistol in one of these -- and would use something like a Milt Sparks VMII. But, for a smaller compact or sub-compact, they are quite convenient and they do not collapse when a weapon is drawn. As an added bonus, the Alter Egos are also "stocking items."

I have had terrible luck with High Noon. I kept their "Bare Asset" even though it did not work for the ordered gun (HK P2000sk). Since it was only $25 it was not worth the hassel. I also returned a $80 IWB that was worse than my Don Hume $26 holster.

I took a chance on the Bare Skin again for my P2000sk as an OWB. It sucked! High noon said to keep moving the gun around in it and it will flex to fit. Never Happened! If I ever had to draw I would take forever to get it loose. It is a snug fit for my Kahr PM9, that should say it all, so I kept it for that gun and swore to stop beleiving High Noons praise.

Ok, I'm not feeling to terribly confident in my recent purchase... I just placed the order yesterday so I will probably cancel at this point. Thanks for the information guys.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Ok, I'm not feeling to terribly confident in my recent purchase... I just placed the order yesterday so I will probably cancel at this point. Thanks for the information guys.
    That's totally your business, but let me toss out a differing viewpoint first.

I bought a Mister Softy about two years ago for a Colt Defender. The fit was absolutely perfect after a minor tweak on the retention screw. This holster is also tuckable and sold for around $25.00 at the time.

About two weeks ago, I ordered a Pocket Grabber for a Taurus PT145. It took some adjustment and I also did the plastic bag trick a few times, but now it's as perfect as a holster can be.

Remember that they have a bulletproof (no pun intended) return policy so you really aren't taking any risk. If it were me, I would go ahead and at least give it a chance. Everyone's experience can be different.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Links