What IS a pistol? - Page 3

What IS a pistol?

This is a discussion on What IS a pistol? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by cmidkiff AOW == 'Any Other Weapon'. From 26 USC sec. 5845(e). BATFE's 'Catch all' term. Must be registered just as a machine ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What IS a pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by cmidkiff
    AOW == 'Any Other Weapon'. From 26 USC sec. 5845(e).

BATFE's 'Catch all' term. Must be registered just as a machine gun or SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) would have to be, but the 'tax' is only $5.
    Tax to register (if you're the maker of the AOW) is still $200- future transfers are $5.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Once you add a few accessories, it makes for a real interesting pistol, doesn't it. Of course, all the accessories come off with the twist of a few knobs if I want to go back to the basics or decide to change them as circumstances change. Using this as an example, it's easy to see how "modular" guns may be the wave of the future. Keep all the options you may need on a shelf, grab what you need to accomplish the job at hand and remove/change as necessary.
    Attached Images
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

The Kel-Tec PLR-16 would be a great home defense weapon.
    Smaller than a shotgun or rifle to move around the house freely and more firepower than a handgun.

My thoughts as well.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Quote Originally Posted by rachilders
    Using this as an example, it's easy to see how "modular" guns may be the wave of the future.
    Not to be a wet blanket, but how will the rear sight on the AR carry handle work without a proper height M16 front tower? :)
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Actually, the front post is adjustable, but since my main intention is to use the PLR as a home/personal defense weapon, I'll use the laser sight rather than the iron sights. I have it zeroed in at 75 feet, and from trying it at the range, was within an inch or so of zero at distances between 30 ft and 100 ft... more than accurate enough for it's intended purpose.

BTW, I have a red dot sight that I have mounted on the PLR as well as the laser. For now, I have it on the top rail instead of the handle (like the scope in the factory photo), but it will also mount on the handle since I have an AR style handle base. For normal carrying/storage purpose, having the red dot mounted on the handle just makes for a very bulky package to store or carry around and I don't want to take up the extra space required.

I had the idea of using a PLR as a HD gun then I found out its illegal in NY. I can buy a Bushmaster C15 pistol though- go figure. Did anyone see the news report about the a guy being arrest at a NJ airport with a Bushmaster pistol not showing up on xray machines-nonsene I know

Odd, isn't it. The two guns look almost exactly the same, yet one is legal and the other isn't. The Bushmaster looks nice, but it's about twice the price of the PLR. I guess if you can't get the PLR, the C-15 would be a viable (but expensive) alternative.

The dealer explained that the BM was in excess of 49oz- which makes it an assult pistol???-The price was $650 which wasn't bad, so its on the list

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links