J-Frame Selection...S&W 442???

This is a discussion on J-Frame Selection...S&W 442??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to get a J-Frame, leaning towards the S&W 442. Open to any opinions/suggestions....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J-Frame Selection...S&W 442???

J-Frame Selection...S&W 442???

I want to get a J-Frame, leaning towards the S&W 442. Open to any opinions/suggestions.

2. Remove Ads

Excellent choice IMO...I just dont like the sights. I opted for the 340 with Big Dot front.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    I have its cousin, the 637. It's a quality gun that I'll be able to pass down to my son someday, and it's easy to carry. It took some practice before I could shoot it well, but it also cleared up a bunch of bad habits by forcing me back to the drawing board. Loaded with Gold Dot +P 135gr, it's a mean little gun.

Go for it.

The 642 and 442 are very popular guns if you do some searches. I have the 442 and it's a great little gun. I almost went with the Ruger LCR but I decided to go with the 442 because it's a proven gun. It should serve you well for up close personal defense.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Excellent choice IMO...I just dont like the sights. I opted for the 340 with Big Dot front.
    340 is like twice the price. Was it when you purchased? I would like to get something that I can put a big dot on! Have them on all my handguns, which is only a couple...but still, big dots rock!

Quote Originally Posted by jcephl View Post
    The 642 and 442 are very popular guns if you do some searches. I have the 442 and it's a great little gun. I almost went with the Ruger LCR but I decided to go with the 442 because it's a proven gun. It should serve you well for up close personal defense.
    Yea, I keep thinking about the Ruger LCR. It's lighter and I know XS Sights is suppose to be coming out with a big dot for it soon. But I'm back to leaning towards S&W for the same reason...proven gun.

VIP Member
    I chose the 642 over the 442 for one reason. Humidity is high on the Texas gulf coast, just like Florida. I felt the stainless finish would hold up better for pocket carry.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Either 442 or 642 would be fine and are excellent. They can be pocket carried or carried IWB and concealed pretty easily either way! Excellent choice!

642 is a good choice but I prefer the 638 I like the shrouded hammer I can still go to SA if needed.

The 442/642 are both excellent guns,reliable,easy to conceal and they hit very hard with good JHP ammo. I've got the 340 M&P but my gun has the DLC finish that has held up very well here in south FL during its first summer in my pocket here. I can't say how the 442's finish would hold up a humid climate not having the DLC coating of the 340 M&P.

I will say that I use to and still occasionally carry mt old colt cobra and its blued finish has held up well. I did wipe it down twice a week with breakfree CLP or militec-1,never had any rust issues after that. which ever gun you choose you'll be getting a good reliable weapon,there is a place that can custom install a night sight on a J-frame but I can't think of then right now. I know Gemini customs works on S%W J-frame also maybe they can upgrade your gun's front sight?
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

I have the the 642 which is the SS version. I use this gun when my G26 will not fit with what I am wearing or if I just want to carry something lighter.

I think the J-frames take more practice to shoot as well as the G26 but sure is a nice addition to the CCW wardrobe.
    My collection: Glock G34, G34OD, G17, G26, G26; Ruger KP90; Ruger Blackhawk .357mag; Ruger Standard Auto; Sig P6; Colt Lawman MKIII .357 snub; S&W 642; Hawes Montana Marshal .44mag

M&P 340..only weighs 13.3oz and shoots .38 or .357....

In FL, I'd get the 642...better finish for FL climate. I already have the 637 and like having the hammer, which is another story.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

+1 on 442, just get one with no lock.

Last edited by redstgunnut; October 13th, 2009 at 07:54 AM.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I have the 642, older version, no lock. 15 oz is a breeze to carry, but kicks like a mule!!! Are you looking for this as your primary carry gun or just as an addition to your arsenal?
    Proud NRA member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links