Pleasantly surprised by new Kel Tec PF9.

This is a discussion on Pleasantly surprised by new Kel Tec PF9. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a Kel Tec PF9 Saturday but didn't get to test fire it till today. I must say, after all the warnings and opinions ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pleasantly surprised by new Kel Tec PF9.

I bought a Kel Tec PF9 Saturday but didn't get to test fire it till today. I must say, after all the warnings and opinions about how bad the recoil was, I was pleasantly surprised to find it was quite manageable. I'm 6'1", 225 lbs and had little to no difficulty hitting a silhouette target at 25 yards with one hand. I just loved the concealability and ease of carry of this super little gun. However, my Son who is 6' 3" and 240 lbs of muscle just hated it. He didn't like the recoil and found the gun too small to hold steady. Now he and I are built alike - except for the muscles. So I guess it just comes down to what your personal preferences are. After 50 rounds I did develop a little scrape on the first knuckle of my trigger finger but I certainly have no quams about carrying this gun for defense. No FTF's or FTE's, I think the gun is a winner.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Exclamation Welcome...

to the club !! Been carrying my PF-9 all summer long. It's lightweight concealabilty and potent cartridge make it an excellent CCW. Added a laser too!

SHOOTER13
    ================
    DoD: Peace thru Superior Firepower

It's my EDC and contrary to what a lot of folks say, the recoil isn't unbearable. It's designed to be a concealed gun and is not a range gun and so it should be viewed that way. Amazingly concealable.
    Glock 22, Glock 23, S&W SW40VE, S&W SD9VE, Kahr CM9, Del Ton Echo 316 AR15.

Just like the P-3AT, they are not fun range guns, but they are so easy to conceal and make a great BUG or EDC if you choose it for that.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I agree, I love my PF-9. The "bad recoil" issue is way overhyped, as its really not that harsh. Concealability is great, especially in the summer when concealing a bigger gun under light clothing can be an issue. I do find myself carrying my 1911 more often the past few weeks, though, due to the cooler weather.

Yeah, I like mine for the conceal ability and reliability. Do a little fluff on the grip and trigger guard, get the sharp mold marks off and you'll like it better.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Went to the range today and shot my PF9 and P3AT. Have carried PF9 pocket carry and ankle holster found it to large for me in summer heat. With fall coming on will start to carry PF9 once more. For now I carry P3AT, and really like both guns. Try this ar range if they will allow you, set three targets up at different spaces apart, and firing as fast as you can hit each target two times each. While nether Kel Tec pistol is a 1911 speed shooter they both can be shot very fast and accurately. Also try walking up on target while firing, again both KTs do this very well for me. I do not feel under gunned with ether KTs. Best part is they both shoot point of aim and go bang every time.

My PF9 is one of my carry guns in summer (OWB or IWB) and winter (coat pocket carry). Perfect solution.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant48 View Post
    I agree, I love my PF-9. The "bad recoil" issue is way overhyped, as its really not that harsh.
    I agree. The only other gun I hear these recoil horror stories about is the 642, and I think it's very manageable, too.

BTW, congrats on the new pistola...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I love the concealability the PF9 has and also find this small frame 9mm to be an accurate little gun. I think many have exxagerated the recoil factor or are sensitive to recoil. I do not feel the recoil is bad at all. My 638 Smith & Wesson has more recoil than my PF9!
    MsXD9

[B]"When seconds count police are minutes away"!

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    the best way to reduce percieved recoil, or muzzle flip, with the PF9 (and P3AT) is to install the "pinky rest" finger extension magazine base. I always kept the rest on my PF9, and normally on the P3AT unless I was carrying it in mt boot top. With the rest installed, even a two fingered grip makes both pistols much more controllable.

surv

"the best way to reduce percieved recoil, or muzzle flip, with the PF9 (and P3AT) is to install the "pinky rest" finger extension magazine base

That flip always caused the trigger guard to wack my trigger finger. The pinky rest probably would have helped lessen the bruise I got after twenty or more rounds.

Otherwise, I had no problems with my PF9...and it was a dream to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOOTER13 View Post
    to the club !! Been carrying my PF-9 all summer long. It's lightweight concealabilty and potent cartridge make it an excellent CCW. Added a laser too!

Shooter, what type of laser is that and how does it "activate". I really don't know much about lasers, but am interested. Thanks.
    Glock 22, Glock 23, S&W SW40VE, S&W SD9VE, Kahr CM9, Del Ton Echo 316 AR15.

Ron
    I also just bought a PF-9 and put 75 rounds through it at my range. No issues, agree recoil not bad at all, and amazingly accurate for such a small lightweight gun.

Once I have enough rounds through it to be assured that it is reliable, it will become my pocket carry gun.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by oldogy View Post
    Yeah, I like mine for the conceal ability and reliability. Do a little fluff on the grip and trigger guard, get the sharp mold marks off and you'll like it better.
    oldogy
    Yesterday I took a light sandpaper to the inside of the trigger guard and smothed down all those sharp mold marks. The gun feels better and it actually improved the looks to some degree. I can't wait to shoot it again, the only discomfort I experienced was a slight sore spot on the first knuckle of the trigger finger. This should relieve the problem.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links