Sig P239 SAS Gen 1 DAK 9mm Range Report

This is a discussion on Sig P239 SAS Gen 1 DAK 9mm Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Finally got to the range with the pistol I originally posted on here: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-two-tone.html I ended up putting 250+ rounds down range, consisting of 100 ...

Thread: Sig P239 SAS Gen 1 DAK 9mm Range Report

Sig P239 SAS Gen 1 DAK 9mm Range Report

Finally got to the range with the pistol I originally posted on here:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-two-tone.html

I ended up putting 250+ rounds down range, consisting of 100 WWB FMJ, 100 Federal Champion FMJ, 50 American Eagle FMJ, and 16 Remington Golden Saber 147gr BJHP.

Function:
    In a word: FLAWLESS. 100% silky smooth Sig perfection. Everything fed perfectly, controls were perfect, slide worked like it was on ball bearings. Couldn't have been any better.

Ergonomics:
    Very good. Extremely comfortable grip angle and girth. Controls right where they should be. Maybe a little top heavy, and the bore axis is a bit high.

Recoil:
    Surprisingly sharp for 9mm. Most likely due to the high bore axis. It was controllable, but actually felt similar to my G30sf as far as overall recoil. Follow up shots were not an issue, but definitely could be better with a more stable platform. Still a very comfortable gun to shoot due to the fantastic ergonomics - I could shoot this thing all day and not get tired of it.

Sights:
    This piece comes with a SigLite front tritium sight and standard rear sight. Overall, not bad. Did not shoot in low light, so can't really say much about the SigLite other than it seemed to work good in dry fire drills around the house. I would prefer a bit larger sights (big dots?)and may go that route in the future.

Accuracy / Trigger:
    Here's where it gets a bit interesting. Obviously according to the thread title we are dealing with the DAK trigger here. Let me first say that the DAK is extremely smooth, relatively light and very pleasant to shoot. However, there is a bit of a learning curve.

Any bad shooting habits will be multiplied by this trigger, and I have a few that it definitelty brought out. My accuracy left MUCH to be desired in the first 100 rounds or so. Everything was COM at combat distances, but the groups were very loose. Definitely a bad day for any BG that popped up, but still disappointing with a firearm I am so obviously excited about.

I set the Sig down for a while and put 100 rounds through my G30sf. Good grief, I was knocking the x ring out of everything with the Glock. SO much better with that trigger. Not to be deterred, I went back to the 239 and gave it another shot.

This time, I concentrated on using the short reset that the DAK provides on follow up shots. Shot one would be the long DAK pull, with the rest of the mag using the reset. Now I started to see some results. The short reset on the DAK is a SUPER short pull with an extremely crisp break, which really reminds me of my Glock trigger. I was still not quite as accurate as with the Glock, but I was very impressed with the results using the reset. Follow up shots were a breeze, including double and triple taps, and full mag rapid fire.

There were a few times that I missed the reset, especially in the beginning, leading to inconsistent results. But with a little experience, the reset is very easy to hit. There is a positive click when you hit it, and it is dead solid consistent every time. Very precise. It soon becomes second nature, but I'm sure it will require some follow up practice to burn this into muscle memory. As much as I enjoy shooting this piece, I'm sure that will not be an issue.

Overall, I am very impressed with the 239. I am pleased with my choice of the DAK, as this is to be an EDC piece that I want to keep simple, no decocker. SA/DA might be a better choice for the range, or for shooters that are used to it and prefer it. I am VERY excited to continue practicing with the DAK reset, as I feel it is one of the finest characteristics of this weapon. I also LOVE the looks of this pistol, and can't get enough of the Sig quality and craftsmanship. (So much so that I just ordered a Milt Sparks VM2 w/ shark trim to tote it around in!) I would appreciate any comments or experiences from other owners, and I will post a follow up after my next range session.
    Sig Sauer P239 SAS DAK 9mm (EDC)
    MR Micro Desert Eagle .380 acp (BUG)
    Glock G30sf .45 acp (HD)
    Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader 12ga (HD)
    WASR 10/63 AK-47 7.62x39 (SHTF)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I've had one for about a year and I agree with what you wrote......no doubt, great gun.

I am peeved about one thing though, matter of fact I just finished cleaning mine. On the right side of the slide, near the front sight is an "engraved" Sig logo. It's seems to be showing some rust within the engraved area.......WTH?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I'm guessing that's the Sig Custom Shop logo...

Mine is a two tone, so the slide is raw stainless - is yours the Nitron finish? If so, it should still be stainless underneath. If it's two tone like mine, try a Birchwood Casey lead remover cloth to clean it up. If it's Nitron, not really sure.
    Sig Sauer P239 SAS DAK 9mm (EDC)
    MR Micro Desert Eagle .380 acp (BUG)
    Glock G30sf .45 acp (HD)
    Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader 12ga (HD)
    WASR 10/63 AK-47 7.62x39 (SHTF)

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I'd expect no less from Sig. Congrats on your new weapon!
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

kpw
    Sounds pretty good. Nice review. Being a Glock shooter, the DAK reset is the one thing I really like about these pistols.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Good review. Also, you have a beautiful gun there.

On all of the DAK models that I've tried, I have really liked the trigger. I used to think that a P239 with DAK trigger in .357 would be an excellent carry gun as long as it had the Sig "contrast sights" (Von Stavenhagen). Unfortunately, when I was buying my P239 I couldn't find a new .357 Sig model with the contrast sights and DAK trigger, so I settled for an older version P239 with the standard DA/SA trigger with decocker that had the contrast sights. It makes sense for me because my old man has a P239 in 9mm with the DA/SA trigger on it, so I can use it for practice without breaking the bank.

Oh and did I say that I love how those Gen 1 SAS guns look?
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Links