Taurus Judge or Ruger LCP

This is a discussion on Taurus Judge or Ruger LCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I plan on puchasing both of these guns by next yaer but ones gonna be for Christmas this year which one would you get first ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I plan on puchasing both of these guns by next yaer but ones gonna be for Christmas this year which one would you get first The Judge or LCP?

The judge is a great nightstand gun and the LCP is great for carry.

Whichever one you want, they are so different. I'd probably get the LCP first because you can carry it and if need be use it in the house, the Judge, not so much on the carry.

The Judge is a for fun gun and the LCP is a for carrying gun. Judge would make a terrible carry, and the LCP makes a lousy for-fun gun.

So -- are you short a practical gun or a fun gun? If you've got a closet full of carryable guns, have fun. If you're having a hard time carrying for lack of a small gun... better get the LCP.

Wish I had your problem! :)

The Judge seems kinda gimmicky to me. I bet its a hoot as a range toy, but I'd think that its real-world usefulness would be rather limited. But if you really want it as a novelty, by all means go for it, as there is nothing wrong with having a fun gun.

From everything that I've read about the Judge (yeah, I want one too), it makes for a great Static Defense gun. This means that it is perfectly suited to live in a holster under a business counter (maybe by the cash register), beside the bed attached to the nightstand, or in a car-safe for holster carry on long trips. In other words, it defends one place real well, but not so much in the daily carry department.

It was marketed to women as the "Ultimate Purse Gun", but how longs that lasts as it is quite heavy is up for debate...

The LCP I don't know so much about, but it sounds like a good carry gun as I've seen it mentioned in good standing in many a thread on this site.

Hope this helps!
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

I do plan on getting both and I currently carry a XD SC 40 just wandering which to get first!

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    The Judge would make a good trail gun or something to have in the boat but other than that its about worthless for carrying....to big, long and cumbersome.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I know I'll get flamed by Judge lovers out there, but the Judge is not a very good self-defense handgun unless you load it with .45 LC. In that case, there are many better choices for the price/size/weight.

Buckshot fired out of that short barrel is not going to penetrate to the vitals reliably. Might it work? Sure, it might. There are better choices though.

Birdshot? No way.

The Judge is good as a trail gun, for snakes and such. Even then, there are better choices. If you want one as a fun gun, then go for it.

No, I don't want to get shot with one - that still does not mean it is a good defensive choice.

As far as the LCP - my wife has one. Not fun to shoot at the range, but great for what it is. Powerful enough to get you out of trouble at close range. Light, small, easy to conceal. Reliable. Inexpensive. I'd recommend it - as long as you can find ammo for it!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I know I'll get flamed by Judge lovers out there, but the Judge is not a very good self-defense handgun unless you load it with .45 LC. In that case, there are many better choices for the price/size/weight.

Buckshot fired out of that short barrel is not going to penetrate to the vitals reliably. Might it work? Sure, it might. There are better choices though.

Birdshot? No way.

The Judge is good as a trail gun, for snakes and such. Even then, there are better choices. If you want one as a fun gun, then go for it.

No, I don't want to get shot with one - that still does not mean it is a good defensive choice.

As far as the LCP - my wife has one. Not fun to shoot at the range, but great for what it is. Powerful enough to get you out of trouble at close range. Light, small, easy to conceal. Reliable. Inexpensive. I'd recommend it - as long as you can find ammo for it!

What he said.

since you already have the carry gun i would probably just get the judge for a home gun. then get the LCP as a BUG later on. Just my $.02
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Lets not forget that with buckshot (.410) there are now 3 projectiles going down range that YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR!!!!
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Yup, The LCP is a good choice for CC either for a BUG or a primary, given what you would consider your daily threat level to be.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

The Judge would make a great snake gun out in a field, but for not for anything else, IMHO.
    Pretty bulky item for carry...so many other good choices for CCW.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

LCP first. And like mentioned before, start looking for ammo even if it is second!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links