Old Chief's Special, S&W Model 36- Square Butt

This is a discussion on Old Chief's Special, S&W Model 36- Square Butt within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found one of these in good to excellent condition at one of my favorite local pawn shops. I have one that I got about ...

Thread: Old Chief's Special, S&W Model 36- Square Butt

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

Old Chief's Special, S&W Model 36- Square Butt

I found one of these in good to excellent condition at one of my favorite local pawn shops.

I have one that I got about a year ago that is almost new, but I haven't shot it. I like it. I'm thinking about getting this other one, too.

But I have some questions.

What are the advantages/disadvantages to the square butt on a J-frame?

Why are they less common than the round butts?

Have they always been less common?

Why did they make both?

Fewer aftermarket grip options?

Anyone know?
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

2. Remove Ads

As far as CT grips go I think the round butts are more poular and easy to find. I also thin the square butt tend to be less concealable. Those old 36s are excellent little snubbies. Properly maintained should last you a lifetime.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Square butt 36's just fit my hand better,that's why I own one.Now I'm looking for a good pocket holster.

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    I found one of these in good to excellent condition at one of my favorite local pawn shops.

I have one that I got about a year ago that is almost new, but I haven't shot it. I like it. I'm thinking about getting this other one, too.

But I have some questions.

What are the advantages/disadvantages to the square butt on a J-frame?

Why are they less common than the round butts?

Have they always been less common?

Why did they make both?

Fewer aftermarket grip options?

Anyone know?
    I can only answer from my experience. LEO from 60's ++++ During the time when "wheel guns" were our issue. Our Dept. issued Sq. Butt .38cal Chief Special (CS) S&W ("J" frame)to Detectives & some plain clothes officers. ( note many simply carried their "standard" issue revolvers.( I did often.)

Soon after my "commission", because we were req. to carry 24/7. I bought a S&W CS SQ. Butt. Why?? Although the round butt has the advantage of better concealment ( print wise) a SQ. butt IMHO, fit better in my hand & was more accurate.( less roll ) & it indexed better. Plus, unless "deep" cover was an issue, "no biggy" in our eyes.

NOTE - I now carry a SP101 ( either in a "jackass" or IWB + I regularly carry a S&W 66 4" .357 concealed. with my build no problem.

Puffer

Administrator
    I think you can still get "round butt" style grips for a Square Butt S&W. They are (of course) oversize though.
    Also...you can buy a set of Round Butt Grips & put them on a Square Butt - Scribe the metal and if you're decently good with a grinder or a belt-sander, files, & sandpaper....you can convert a Square Butt to a Round Butt.

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    My old 36 square-butt is my buddy's wife's gun. He had a local smith bob the hammer spur(it did NOT become a DAO)and smooth up the action. I've hinted recently that I'd love to get it back if she doesn't use it anymore. I purcahsed it in the mid-80's while stationed down at Bragg..definitely an "oldie but goodie"! Square butts are ol' school Roscoes. Still have friend's "on the job" who still carry classic 5-shots like this!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

You Snooze, You Lose!

Went back to the pawn shop to get the gun today.

He'd already sold it.

Doggone it!

He told me "I tried to sell it to you Monday...and you said you 'had to think about it'". I could have gotten for less than he asked, too - - and he had it marked at a bargain price, too.

Yeah, I know. I know.

There'll be a next time, though on something I've just "got" to have just as much! :)
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    Went back to the pawn shop to get the gun today.

He'd already sold it.

Doggone it!

He told me "I tried to sell it to you Monday...and you said you 'had to think about it'". I could have gotten for less than he asked, too - - and he had it marked at a bargain price, too.

Yeah, I know. I know.

There'll be a next time, though on something I've just "got" to have just as much! :)
    I feel your pain. I had that happen to me once on a four-inch .38 Special Colt Diamondback before they went through the roof...the man sold it the morning I went back in the afternoon,
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Links