carrying a gun before shooting it

This is a discussion on carrying a gun before shooting it within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; has anyone else done this? is there anything wrong with carrying a concealed gun before shooting? i bought a p30 recently and havent had the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: carrying a gun before shooting it

has anyone else done this?
    is there anything wrong with carrying a concealed gun before shooting?
    i bought a p30 recently and havent had the time to find bullets much less go to the range.
    i am carrying it with gold speer jhp though.

Seems to me it would be like flying an airplane but never taking time to learn how to fly it....sooner or later someone is going to get hurt. If you are not sure how you and/or the weapon will react in a given situation, you are just looking for trouble. Three rules to remember 1. Practice, 2. Practice, 3. Repeat #'s 1 &2.

Andy
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by basher052 View Post
    Seems to me it would be like flying an airplane but never taking time to learn how to fly it....sooner or later someone is going to get hurt. If you are not sure how you and/or the weapon will react in a given situation, you are just looking for trouble. Three rules to remember 1. Practice, 2. Practice, 3. Repeat #'s 1 &2.

Andy

would a better analogy be knowing how to fly airplanes but flying an unfamiliar airplane?

Nah, trigger time on paper or on BG....its all the same! jk

Not a good idea at all. Friend of mine bought a new Taurus .38spl but has a CZ 9mm as well. He carries the CZ most of the time but the Taurus was a bit smaller and easier to conceal. He was going to take it on a trip before shooting it, but at the last moment decided to take it to the range. There was a problem with the cylinder and the revolver would not fire. Taurus has since made it right, but had he not tried it first and had to use it, who knows what may have happend
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I will admit I did it when I purchased a new Kahr PM9 and carried it for about a week. The PM9 requires about 200 rounds to break it in and there is a significant change once the gun breaks in.

I think it's a terrible idea to carry any gun you haven't shot before whether purchased new or used. There are so many inherent problems it's hard to start a list due to time constraints. Murphy's Law also comes to mind.

My situation was either don't carry or carry a new gun I have never fired. Business & Business dress attire was the limiting factor between the firearms on my CCW license and my work situation for the week.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Definitely a no-go.

Even if you have the most reputable gun in the world by the most reputable company, you may have a lemon. The more rounds you have through it, the more confidant you can be in its reliability and your ability to shoot it accurately. Zero rounds through it to me means zero reliability.

I would advise against it. You at least have to run a couple boxes of target loads through to test function. More importantly a few mags of your chosen defensive load. To rely on an unproven sidearm in a life or death situation is asking for trouble.

Ditto on Murphy's law. In the heat of the moment is a terrible time to find out how the controls work, what quirks the gun has with a particular brand of ammo, or if the gun shoots at all.
    My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    Definitely a no-go.

Even if you have the most reputable gun in the world by the most reputable company, you may have a lemon. The more rounds you have through it, the more confidant you can be in its reliability and your ability to shoot it accurately. Zero rounds through it to me means zero reliability.

+1
    Saved me the typing.

I bought a S&W 442-1 this weekend and just made a special purpose trip to the range to make sure it goes "BANG" before I carry it. I would never carry a gun until I know it works.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I've seen brand new guns (shotguns) that didnt fire.

No way I would carry a gun, a self defense gun at that, without shooting it first. I dont understand the thinking behind this. This gun is to save your life ... right? Does it go bang? I know, you cant answer that.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

An unreliable gun is still unreliable no matter how many times you pull the trigger... know your gun before you carry it... hence knowing you are carrying a reliable gun is a great idea.

So, I have always put a few hundred rounds through any of my carry gun before I carry it... plus you need to know how it feels in your hands while you are shooting the gun.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Nothing wrong with carrying a pistol before shooting it if you're familiar with it and it's operation really.......do what you want even though I might tell you it's part of your responsibility as a carrier to do so. Personally I would never do that.

VIP Member
    I'm not a gambler. I want to KNOW that the gun functions properly. But, like RamRod said, do what you want. I don't know what your situation is, but if you have loved ones depending on your ability to protect them with said gun, do you really want that question unanswered?

Just my $0.02. Good luck.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links