Sub Compact question: Glock or SA XD?

This is a discussion on Sub Compact question: Glock or SA XD? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Knowing in advance that this is like asking: Chocolate or Vanilla for your ice cream, or Ford or Chevy, (ok, insert any freeking this or ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sub Compact question: Glock or SA XD?

Sub Compact question: Glock or SA XD?

Knowing in advance that this is like asking: Chocolate or Vanilla for your ice cream, or Ford or Chevy, (ok, insert any freeking this or that analogy here), i want to pose this question for all you Glock and XD owners (or wanna be owners like myself). Which one, and why?

.....let the games begin
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

I like the Glock 23. Fits my hand(which I feel is important), fires a .40 cal projectile, is accurate,100% reliable and easy to clean.

Quote Originally Posted by oldpi View Post
    I like the Glock 23. Fits my hand(which I feel is important), fires a .40 cal projectile, is accurate,100% reliable and easy to clean.
    The same as above, BUT an XD-9!

And the recoil is really easy with this gun.

I am an M&P9c owner and bought one of my sons an XD-9 on Friday....what a great gun, small, and very comfortable to shoot and conceal.
    "Don't be afraid to see what you see.
    -Ronald Reagan-

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    If you ask the question "Glock or..." you don't even need to finish the rest of the sentence. Glock. You can do a search on Glock vs. XD/M&P/<anything else> and you can find all the arguments.

I am just a Glock guy. Love the platform, reliable, tons of aftermarket stuff, etc, etc, etc.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Glock

+Lower bore axis, less muzzle flip, faster follow-up shots
    +lighter weight
    +magazines are more tolerant of being dropped (metal reinforced plastic is less likely to dent than plain metal)
    +mechanically simpler
    +better trigger feel (subjective)

XD

+ambidextrous mag release

The XD's grip safety is a double-edged sword - it can cause your gun to not fire when you want it to (you might not always have a proper grip during a struggle).

The XD's "loaded chamber indicator" and "cocked indicator" are gimmicky to me. On a Glock, you can see and feel the extractor sticking out if there is a round in the chamber, and if the trigger is forward it is cocked.

The XD is good, but to me the Glock is better. YMMV.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I don't find the safety measures gimmicky at all on the XD-9.

Everytime I holster my xd, I run my finger over the chamber indicator and I make it a habit to rest my right thumb on the back of the slide for two reasons. (By simple quick touch, i feel the firing pin indicator so I know the gun is ready to rock...and second, by putting my thumb in this position, it stops my palm from pressing the backstrap safety - so I know I won't have a negligent discharge when holstering, if for some reason the trigger gets snagged etc.)

Even more importantly, I like the way the XD feels in my hand versus the glock. I am not a glock hater by the way. I have plenty of friends that let me shoot theirs all the time and they are great guns...(In fact, a buddy of mine was nice enough to loan me a G26 for about a month to try it out when I was still gun shopping)

But for me the XD handles - points - and shoots more naturally and smoother. Grip angle, Trigger, action, recoil all felt superior in the XD9 sub. It just felt right?

Also SA has awesome customer service and they stand behind their products 100%. (Lifetime Guarantee)

check out this article:

SPRINGFIELD ARMORY

SHOOT BOTH AND DECIDE FOR YOURSELF!

VIP Member
    Well, I have 2 Glocks (G19/26) and 1 XD (XD45). I liked the XD45 better than the G21, just felt better in my hand. But I like the G19 and G26 better than the XDc. Again, just felt better. The XDc seems to have a higher bore axis and just feels bigger to me than the G26.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

They're both fine weapons. I like the Glock23, a lot. It's a very versatile weapon. Easily concealable, light, 13+1 capacity, can barrel swap with .357 Sig and 9mm, after market goodies are very plentiful . I do not like grip safeties. What if you have to take a shot, injured or otherwise incapable of using the grip necessary to activate the grip safety ? In a self defense situation it's quite possible that you may not be operating at 100 % .
    Ooops, just noticed that you asked about SUB Compacts,Just change my argument to the G27.

Why not both? I have been working the rotation the past few months. After having carried a Glock 19 for the past few years I bought a G26 a couple months ago and carried it everywhere for a month and really like it. Then I got an XDm9 and have been carrying it everywhere for the past two months and the G26 stays in the safe except for gym nights (the XDm9 conceals great for me in a Cross Breed holster but not so much in gym shorts). I now love the XD platform and now have a really bad itch for the XD9sc (so bad of an itch in fact I am using a medicated cream). What a sexy piece. It's not that I don't like the G26 (I actually love it) but while settle for just one of them.

Don't worry about the costs as I heard that in the next stimulus package there is going to be vouchers you can use for adding handguns to your collection.
    To all you current and former military ... thank you for your service! Let no one forget that the sacrifices you have made allow us the freedoms we enjoy.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TRUST8383 View Post
    I don't find the safety measures gimmicky at all on the XD-9.
    I totally agree. In fact, the lack of an external safety on the Glocks is a major turnoff for me. And no, I don't consider a trigger safety to really be a "safety." Location location, location.....

My dislikes about the Glocks are:

(see above) Only a trigger safety.

I don't like the way they aim.

I totally hate the feel of the trigger. To me it feels like brakes that have air in the line; "spongy" is how I would describe it.

I don't like the feel/shape of the grip.

That's only my opinion and it's worth what was paid for it.

But in all fairness, I believe that the Glocks are as reliable as anything else on the market and more so than many.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Both are great guns, but the XD has some objective and (for me) subjective advantages.

Objective
    XD is easier to field strip and clean
    XD mags can be disasseambled easier
    Grip safety is a legitimate improivement--a la 1911
    Loaded Chamber indicator
    Cocked indicator--These last two could be real life savers

Subjective
    Grip angle just works for me
    Shoots point of aim very naturally
    and finally...(When you live in California, one Austrian is plenty)
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I have limited experience with the XDs, which is too bad. I'd like to speak from a more informed platform of reasoning, but...

I'd have to go with Glock (based on what I DO know). Reliability is big with me, and my guns have never, ever had a FTF error.

FWIW.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

I like them both. We (my wife and I) own both. She carries and XD .40 sub compact and I carry an XD .40 service size (4 inch) model. I also from time to time carry a Glock 23. They both have their purposes and strong points. The Glock is flatter and a bit easier to conceal, but the XD is MUCH more ergonomic and the recoil on the XD is a bit softer.

The bottom line is, hold both, shoot both if you can, and pick the one that fits you over all the best. Only you can choose the gun that works best for you.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I totally agree. In fact, the lack of an external safety on the Glocks is a major turnoff for me. And no, I don't consider a trigger safety to really be a "safety." Location location, location.....

My dislikes about the Glocks are:

(see above) Only a trigger safety.

I don't like the way they aim.

I totally hate the feel of the trigger. To me it feels like brakes that have air in the line; "spongy" is how I would describe it.

I don't like the feel/shape of the grip.

That's only my opinion and it's worth what was paid for it.

But in all fairness, I believe that the Glocks are as reliable as anything else on the market and more so than many.
    Ayoob had a custom G17 with thumb safety. http://www.cominolli.com/ The rest of what you've mentioned can be changed by the user to the user's liking easily enough.
    Glock.........since I always carry, they're part of my life. That's my answer as to "why?". Nothing would work better for me ever.

I have to also say hold them both whichever ones more comfortable to you is the one I'd get there both great neither one better than than the other in my opinion! They have been proven tough but if safety is a concern get the XD if finish is important get the glock!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links