Defensive Carry banner

Sub Compact question: Glock or SA XD?

5K views 51 replies 42 participants last post by  coriantan 
#1 ·
Knowing in advance that this is like asking: Chocolate or Vanilla for your ice cream, or Ford or Chevy, (ok, insert any freeking this or that analogy here), i want to pose this question for all you Glock and XD owners (or wanna be owners like myself). Which one, and why?

.....let the games begin :image035:

#4 ·
If you ask the question "Glock or..." you don't even need to finish the rest of the sentence. Glock. You can do a search on Glock vs. XD/M&P/<anything else> and you can find all the arguments.

I am just a Glock guy. Love the platform, reliable, tons of aftermarket stuff, etc, etc, etc.

#5 ·
Glock

+Lower bore axis, less muzzle flip, faster follow-up shots
+lighter weight
+magazines are more tolerant of being dropped (metal reinforced plastic is less likely to dent than plain metal)
+mechanically simpler
+better trigger feel (subjective)

XD

+ambidextrous mag release

The XD's grip safety is a double-edged sword - it can cause your gun to not fire when you want it to (you might not always have a proper grip during a struggle).

The XD's "loaded chamber indicator" and "cocked indicator" are gimmicky to me. On a Glock, you can see and feel the extractor sticking out if there is a round in the chamber, and if the trigger is forward it is cocked.

The XD is good, but to me the Glock is better. YMMV.

#6 ·
I don't find the safety measures gimmicky at all on the XD-9.

Everytime I holster my xd, I run my finger over the chamber indicator and I make it a habit to rest my right thumb on the back of the slide for two reasons. (By simple quick touch, i feel the firing pin indicator so I know the gun is ready to rock...and second, by putting my thumb in this position, it stops my palm from pressing the backstrap safety - so I know I won't have a negligent discharge when holstering, if for some reason the trigger gets snagged etc.)

Even more importantly, I like the way the XD feels in my hand versus the glock. I am not a glock hater by the way. I have plenty of friends that let me shoot theirs all the time and they are great guns...(In fact, a buddy of mine was nice enough to loan me a G26 for about a month to try it out when I was still gun shopping)

But for me the XD handles - points - and shoots more naturally and smoother. Grip angle, Trigger, action, recoil all felt superior in the XD9 sub. It just felt right?

Also SA has awesome customer service and they stand behind their products 100%. (Lifetime Guarantee)

check out this article:

SPRINGFIELD ARMORY

SHOOT BOTH AND DECIDE FOR YOURSELF! :yup:

#10 ·
I don't find the safety measures gimmicky at all on the XD-9.
I totally agree. In fact, the lack of an external safety on the Glocks is a major turnoff for me. And no, I don't consider a trigger safety to really be a "safety." Location location, location.....

My dislikes about the Glocks are:

(see above) Only a trigger safety.

I don't like the way they aim.

I totally hate the feel of the trigger. To me it feels like brakes that have air in the line; "spongy" is how I would describe it.

I don't like the feel/shape of the grip.

That's only my opinion and it's worth what was paid for it.

But in all fairness, I believe that the Glocks are as reliable as anything else on the market and more so than many.

#7 ·
Well, I have 2 Glocks (G19/26) and 1 XD (XD45). I liked the XD45 better than the G21, just felt better in my hand. But I like the G19 and G26 better than the XDc. Again, just felt better. The XDc seems to have a higher bore axis and just feels bigger to me than the G26.

#8 ·
They're both fine weapons. I like the Glock23, a lot. It's a very versatile weapon. Easily concealable, light, 13+1 capacity, can barrel swap with .357 Sig and 9mm, after market goodies are very plentiful . I do not like grip safeties. What if you have to take a shot, injured or otherwise incapable of using the grip necessary to activate the grip safety ? In a self defense situation it's quite possible that you may not be operating at 100 % .
Ooops, just noticed that you asked about SUB Compacts,Just change my argument to the G27.

#9 ·
Why not both? I have been working the rotation the past few months. After having carried a Glock 19 for the past few years I bought a G26 a couple months ago and carried it everywhere for a month and really like it. Then I got an XDm9 and have been carrying it everywhere for the past two months and the G26 stays in the safe except for gym nights (the XDm9 conceals great for me in a Cross Breed holster but not so much in gym shorts). I now love the XD platform and now have a really bad itch for the XD9sc (so bad of an itch in fact I am using a medicated cream). What a sexy piece. It's not that I don't like the G26 (I actually love it) but while settle for just one of them.

Don't worry about the costs as I heard that in the next stimulus package there is going to be vouchers you can use for adding handguns to your collection.:rofl:

#11 ·
Both are great guns, but the XD has some objective and (for me) subjective advantages.

Objective
XD is easier to field strip and clean
XD mags can be disasseambled easier
Grip safety is a legitimate improivement--a la 1911
Loaded Chamber indicator
Cocked indicator--These last two could be real life savers

Subjective
Grip angle just works for me
Shoots point of aim very naturally
and finally...(When you live in California, one Austrian is plenty)

#12 ·
I have limited experience with the XDs, which is too bad. I'd like to speak from a more informed platform of reasoning, but...

I'd have to go with Glock (based on what I DO know). Reliability is big with me, and my guns have never, ever had a FTF error.

FWIW.

#13 ·
I like them both. We (my wife and I) own both. She carries and XD .40 sub compact and I carry an XD .40 service size (4 inch) model. I also from time to time carry a Glock 23. They both have their purposes and strong points. The Glock is flatter and a bit easier to conceal, but the XD is MUCH more ergonomic and the recoil on the XD is a bit softer.

The bottom line is, hold both, shoot both if you can, and pick the one that fits you over all the best. Only you can choose the gun that works best for you.

#16 ·
I've handled both, but only own Glocks. I have the 36 and the 26...I prefer the smooth 'flat' lines for concealment...the dependability is unquestoned.
But as for your original question? Either would work...you have to decide which one is 'calling out your name'.:yup::image035:

#17 ·
I own a XD 9mm (full size) and a G19 and G26. Personally I think either a Glock or XD is a wise choice, and you can not go wrong with either. It comes down to what feels better to you and what features you may want. Both are quality handguns in every way and I love both platforms. From a quality and reliability standpoint they are equals IMO and again it comes down to what suits you better.

#19 ·
Like retsup, I own a Glock 26 and a Glock 36. For me, the choice was easy:

1) The go bang every time you pull the trigger
2) They're easy to carry and conceal
3) Parts are readily available to maintain or upgrade them
4) Longer proven history than the XD

When I'm employed again :frown:, I'll be shopping for a full sized XD in .45 as a bedside safe gun. The two are similar enough (i.e., no external safety) that I won't have a problem going back and forth.

#21 ·
They are both fine weapons and you won't go wrong with either. It really is like the Ford/Chevy debate. :)

I prefer the grip angle on the XD line, so that is what I own. Glocks are fine weapons though. Shoot them both a bunch and then buy the one you like more. For me, I have a harder time getting a good sight picture with a Glock which is why I own XD.

My best to you.

#24 ·
and finally...(When you live in California said:
:rofl::haha: DONT DO THAT AGAIN....MILK SHOT OUT OF MY NOSE!!! :spankme:

#25 ·
But as for your original question? Either would work...you have to decide which one is 'calling out your name'.:yup::image035:[/QUOTE said:
Thats the problem, they are both :aargh4: screaming out my name at this point.
I agree with the "try em and see what you like the most" theory. I went to a shop today and fondled them both, leaning towards the XD in a .40. I still need to shoot them both.

Anyone in the Richmond/Sugar Land area willing to go play at American that can bring along either of these? Buddies, pals?? :image035:

Andy

#27 ·
I've had a G-23 for about 11 years and I love it.

When I was in the market for getting a 9mm subcompact, I debated the Glock, but I really wanted to try out the XD to see what everyone was talking about. So I got the XD9sc.

I have not regretted it. It's a great gun and I like the XD platform every bit as much as Glock, if not maybe a little more.

Personally, I'm just as happy with both.

What I do like specifically about the XD9sc is the 16 round extended magazines actually turn the gun into a full size grip. Although they do look kind of funky with the large plastic piece at the base of the magazine. However when inserted in the gun, it feels very nice in the hand.

#28 ·
I fired both for about 2 hours one day, I ended up with a Glock. Why? Because the trigger is flat out better. It has a shorter reset and is much faster on followups. Plus I could buy accessories anywhere and it's super easy to work on. Not to mention it's a Glock, the name screams reliability. PROVEN reliability. I don't want to hear about "well this new thing uses the same system as a Glock but has an additional..." no, that's no good to me. When you start adding additional things to the gun you add points of failure. What if that Grip safety didn't work one day... UH OH! Hit me up when the XD has been around for about 20-25 years, that's how long Glocks have been proving their reliability in action. All this in my mind added up to a winner with a Glock, now I own many.

I got a G17 first, then a G19, now a G23, someday I'll have a G21sf as well.

#29 ·
I have an XD .45 Compact and earlier this year wanted a smaller summer carry gun.

I looked at both the XD .40 Sub-compact and Glock 27 and chose the Glock 27 based on these factors:

It's 6.25 oz lighter, to me BIG difference
It's 1/2" shorter top to bottom, easier to conceal under light clothing
It's only 1/4" longer than the XD, but the barrel is 1/2" longer making it as accurate as most full size auto's

After buying the 27, I wanted a full-size .40 for range shooting. This time I looked at a Glock 22 and the XDm. I chose the G 22 RTF2.

I guess you could say this shooter prefers Glocks 2 to 1. :image035:

#30 ·
I used to have a XDm.

I have several Glocks.

I found the XDm's trigger terrible; long and mushy. I thought it was very top heavy; it sat far too high for comfort, and sacrificed a certain amount of control. I never really cared a whole lot about the grip safety; personally, if this wasn't such a lawyer-happy world, and I'd have kept the XDM, I woulda pinned it down if I could. The grip, no matter what backstrap I put on it, just didn't work out right, either.

Glocks, on the other hand, fit me great. I far prefer the trigger, and how low they sit in my hand.

Between the two...while the XD is not a bad gun, I'd never own another...and I'll recommend a Glock over one any day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.