First time carrier. Got a couple questions

This is a discussion on First time carrier. Got a couple questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; well hey everyone I am looking to get a couple questions answered on my first carry weapon. this past summer me and my brother went ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First time carrier. Got a couple questions

well hey everyone I am looking to get a couple questions answered on my first carry weapon.

this past summer me and my brother went and took our chl course and i just got my permit or license whatever you wish to call it.
    when i got my license i started thinking about what gun i should get and well as of now I'm not sure on where to start.

as far as what i should consider when trying to find a reliable carry, like the pluses and negatives to carrying an semi auto compared to a revolver.

now i have hunted since i was 12 so I'm no newbie when it comes to firearms, but when it comes to finding a carry weapon thats a different story.

so the couple questions i have are:
    if a revolver the pluses and negatives to hammerless as to with a hammer?

aspects i should consider when looking at finding the right one.

so more or less the little things.

i don't want to go with a caliber lower than a .380.

i do own a xd 40 5 in barrel and a s&w 38 special.

the one pistol that i like a lot is the sp101 it feels great in my hand but anyways, sorry about the long post hope to hear from some of all.

thanks for all the help!!!!!

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    If you go with a revolver, I would get hammerless. it still has a hammer, it's just covered with a shroud. This helps keep it from snagging on clothing, which is helpful especially if you pocket carry.

What weapon you carry is a very personal decision though, so I honestly don't think I can help you pick what to carry without throwing in my own spin and bias. I know what works well for me, and that's about where I draw the line.

Find a gun you can shoot well, fits you well, is reliable, you can carry comfortably, and has the stopping power and capacity you're looking for.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

thanks. ya im just looking for little tips one what i should consider when looking at buying. like what you just gave me.

tips that a newbie might not think of =)

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Where ya at in dallas? I can let ya try out my P229 if ya want.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

VIP Member
    Best bet is to find a range that rents weapons and try as many as you can afford looking for what fits your hand best and has the most accuracy for you.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I am guessing that you think the xd 40 5 in barrel is a bit too big to hide?
    I would carry that.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

no to big just to heavy. i mean i would carry it every once in awhile, id love to but i also want something a little lighter cause of the type of clothes i wear.

What model is your S&W .38 and how long is the barrel?

My personal preference has always leaned towards semi-autos, whereas my dads was revolvers as his preferred carry gun. The last one he carried was a Rossi in .38 with a 2" barrel. For the life of me I can't remember the model number or name of it though, I just remember it was a five shot model.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

model 10 and its a 4 or 5 inch barrel. it was the militart police issue

VIP Member
    I think an SP101 would be a great carry gun. It's a might be a little heavy for pocket carry, but it would make an outstanding CC gun. The .357 is no doubt a major manstopper. The SP is built like a tank and will give you years of service. The trigger can be made better with a new trigger spring (approx. $10), which you should be able to change yourself in about 15 minutes.

I'm personally looking for an SP101 with a 3 1/16" barrel. The longer barrel will give me a little better sight radius and reduce recoil slightly. I want it for a CCW gun and also for a gun to carry when deer hunting, camping, fishing, etc...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

ya i agree that it might be to heavy for a pocket gun. but ill get a pocket gun a little later for now id like to get a good durable ccw.

its a model 10 4 or 5 inch barrel. it was the military police issue

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Check out the...

Ruger LCP, Kel-Tec P3AT, or Bersa Thunder .380 cc (larger than the first two) if you're interested in a .380 acp.

Kel-Tec PF-9, Kahr PM9, Springfield XD 9 sub-compact, or Glock 26 if you're looking for a 9mm.

Those might be some places to start researching. They're smaller guns, but easier to conceal.

A S&W J-frame or Ruger LCR might be something to check out if you're interested in a small .38 revolver.

+1 on the Bersa. My EDC is the .380, but the Bersa 9mmUC (UltraCompact) is only slightly larger. The Bersa 9s are one of the best kept secrets out there.

Renting different things at a range is a good way to go. Good luck.
    Freedom ... must be fought for, protected, and handed on ... or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -- Ronald Reagan, 1967

The most important thing in whatever gun you end up with is get a good holster. In particular check out Crossbreed Holsters > Home and get yourself a Supertuck. Every pistol I own has it's own Supertuck to go with it.

The SP101 is a great carry revolver, one thing to think about is that semi-autos have more carrying capacity. But if you have an ammo failure a revolver is easier to recover from ... you just pull the trigger again. There really is no ONE gun for it all. It'll take owning several guns to have for every situation. Good luck!
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links