New SIG owner- a Few Questions- please help

This is a discussion on New SIG owner- a Few Questions- please help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I got it, And...the spider bit me I know understand the "signess" you guys talk about! Well its a New P228R, night sites, short ...

Thread: New SIG owner- a Few Questions- please help

Smile New SIG owner- a Few Questions- please help

Well I got it, And...the spider bit me I know understand the "signess" you guys talk about!

Well its a New P228R, night sites, short trigger, So Im ready for this to become my new little buddy BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Whats this about "greasing the gun" I found post on the sig forum where this guy stripped his sig completely and greased the whole thing (the parts) do I need to do this?

Then I found another guy who "de greased" and used the sig synthetic lube that came with the gun? Which do I do?!

Im pretty confused at the moment What do I need to "lube" I keep hearing sigs like to run wet. If so, what kind of lube or grease do I need?

Thanks guys, will post pics soon!
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

2. Remove Ads

I'm sure there will be several opinions but I use Hopes #9 & Breakfree CLP to clean the bore & internal/external parts then I oil the slide rail & key areas with a little gun oil. Never had any kind of operational failure to date.
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them. – Richard Henry Lee 1788

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Sigs do not like to run wet. Since I was 6 none of the sigs we have owned over the years have run "wet". On lube, what ever lube you like really is what will work in my experience lubes are a personal choice. The one thing that is odd is a drop in each slide grove of the frame is really all the lube you need. The rest of lubing is rust prevention thats it. Ive actually tried to run a wet Sig, it got real gritty quick, instead of its normal smooth action. The good thing is I had clean rags, quick strip and wipe down of the parts and it was back to normal. The biggest part is the drop of lub in each frame grove for the slide, and let it run down the entire slide grove, quick function test and racking of the slide and you are good to go.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I have 4 Sigs that operate without problems and lubricate pretty much like the two previous posters. After cleaning the gun, I use RemOil to lubricate the slide rails, and run a cotton swab with a slight bit of oil on it down the barrel and on the outside of the barrel.

I do this with other brands of semiauto guns as well, not just Sigs.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Agreed, just a little lube on the rails and they run perfect.

Light coat of oil on the outside (for rust prevention)...a drop or two down the slide grooves...and lightly coat the barrel. That's it.....seriously....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Grayguns, Inc. is pretty much the authority in SIG gunsmithing. Here is the advice from GGI on lubing a SIG:

* Lubrication of Sig Sauer pistol rails : Grayguns by Bruce Gray

Short version: no, don't run wet, but grease the rails fairly generously. I use Slide Glide on all my SIG rails (and I found out that's what GGI uses, also), and they run great. The main issue is not how the guns run from shot to shot or session to session, but how well the anodizing lasts on the gun in the long term.

Enjoy the new SIG!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I've owned and shot my P228 for about 11 years; I also own a P239 and have never applied more than a light coating of oil to either guns rails, barrel and slide. So far, never a FTF or FTE with either gun.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

I am a new Sig owner as well... I use what I use on all my pistols. Clean with CLP, lube lightly with Mobil 1 15w-50 on slide rails, barrel lug, and hood. Runs perfect.
    Sig Sauer P239 SAS DAK 9mm (EDC)
    MR Micro Desert Eagle .380 acp (BUG)
    Glock G30sf .45 acp (HD)
    Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader 12ga (HD)
    WASR 10/63 AK-47 7.62x39 (SHTF)

Quote Originally Posted by Mardet65 View Post
    I've owned and shot my P228 for about 11 years; I also own a P239 and have never applied more than a light coating of oil to either guns rails, barrel and slide. So far, never a FTF or FTE with either gun.
    Well stated, this is all you need to do. Sigs are great.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Grease the rails a small bit of oil on the springs and inner workings. SIGforum.com --A discussion forum for SIG enthusiasts has some good tips, but you will also hear some pretty wild stuff. I recently bought the same gun and its been great so far. I carry it on duty and as a concealed gun. Just in case you have any questions about holster fit, any holster designed for a 229R will work just fine for it.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Congratulations on your new SIG pistol! Not much more I can say that hasn't already been said. I also use lube (Zero Friction) in the slide rails of my stainless. THE ONLY application among all of my firearms with anything other than Gunzilla!

VIP Member
    I only "grease" the rails on my SIGs and I use TW-25B... good stuff!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Links