Porting Barrel And Slide on XD SC 40

This is a discussion on Porting Barrel And Slide on XD SC 40 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking about taking my XD SC to a gunsmith to see about porting the barrel and slide I know I shouldn't cause the flash ...

Thread: Porting Barrel And Slide on XD SC 40

I'm thinking about taking my XD SC to a gunsmith to see about porting the barrel and slide I know I shouldn't cause the flash at night coming up through the porting but I like the way they shoot better for double tapping is this a normal thing for a gunsmith to do? Can it be done without buying a new slide and barrel? How much roughly will this cost?

I've been wondering the same thing, would it be better to get the longer ported barrel?

I've seen personally two factory ported Xds with slide failures from cracks around the ports. When I posted pics of it I got links to many more cases of the same thing.

If you want ports, try here:
    Mag-na-port International--Home Page

Administrator
    I would not waste $$ on an aftermarket or longer ported barrel.
    Then there are holster and potential crown damage issues.

Magnaport International does the only porting I would even consider for any handgun.
    All you need to do is send your barrel & slide. They do beautiful & flawless EDM porting.

Click This Link ~>http://www.magnaport.com/hgun.html
    They are absolutely the best.

Taken From The Magnaport Handgun Porting Page.......
    "Mag-na-port offers a unique system of porting semi-automatics by using a trapezoidal port through the barrel and an oversized expansion vent through the slide to allow maximum dissipation without fouling. This process offers an alternative to shooters not wanting additional weight or length from add on compensator's.

Shooters using Mag-na-port's "autoporting" services do not experience the large flash of muzzle blast experienced with systems dumping larger volumes of gases through holes positioned across the center line. Law enforcement agencies and companies offering night sights have tested our porting service finding no increase in muzzle blast or night blindness attributed to our porting service.

It's amazing what a difference two trapezoidal slots can make! The wrist-wrenching recoil of a 10mm is controlled through Mag-na-porting making it feel more like an unported .45 ACP. The reduction in muzzle rise and felt recoil allows the .45 to be brought back on target in less time, which could be crucial in a firefight. Autoporting will make the gun more manageable and much more pleasant to shoot. On lighter calibers such as the 9mm, shooters find their primary benefit gained by autoporting will be the reduction in muzzle jump. The advantage gained by autoporting just might be en ought to make a real difference in a crucial situation where quick repeat shot is needed."

You need to decide if it is worth the cost though.
    Semi-Automatic Pistols (through slide and barrel) $140.00

If you're having problems with controlling your .40 for double taps...get a 9mm.

I really don't see any benefit to porting non-magnum handguns; all it does is make more flash and noise, while ruining your sight picture in low light conditions.

If you simply must, the mag-na-port suggestions are good ones.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Administrator
    Here are my thoughts on porting. This post isn't intended on making anyone mad, but to simply call a spade a spade.

If you feel the need to port your defensive pistol, fact of the matter is, you do not shoot well enough to take advantage of the slight advantage porting might give you. In fact, 99.9% of the shooters out there will not be able to take advantage of what ever the porting will give you. (I do include myself in that 99.9%) Given that, there are plenty of disadvantages to worry about as well. IMO, its all pain and no gain.

For the issues that you would like to correct, adjust your grip and/or shooting stance. Perhaps dropping to a 9mm will speed you up... but then again, speed comes on its own. You can't force speed with out losing accuracy.

To answer your questions, no every smith can or will port a gun. If you really want a ported gun, I'd find a shop who specializes in porting, such as magnaport. I dont know if their pricing includes refinish, but that is another factor you need to keep in mind.
    "Just blame Sixto"

DO NOT use a ported gun for self defense. In addition to flash in low light, you run the risk of disabling yourself with hot gases and debris to the eyes if you have to fire from a close retention position.

Leave the ported guns for fun/competition. Not for defense.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

If you're entertaining the though of porting on an XD in order to facilitate a good second shot, maybe you should look at something else in the way of defensive sidearms where you won't need to do some drastic work. Hard earned money is better spent on ammo IMO. I'm just sayin'.

I agree 100% I was just thinking ported would be nice and wanted to see your thoughts I don't I'm going to afterall thank you guys for the advice!

Sponsored Links