If money were no issue...

This is a discussion on If money were no issue... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Would you carry something different then what you carry now? I got to thinking about this today when I was having a conversation with a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: If money were no issue...

Would you carry something different then what you carry now? I got to thinking about this today when I was having a conversation with a friend of mine. I am currently carrying a Taurus 709 because it is the only gun that offers all the options I want. Sub compact, adjustable rear sight, external thumb saftey, single stack and it's crazy light.

When my friend (a IPD swat officer) asked me what I carry and I told him he said "You have a good job, why carry a cheap gun?". Now granted, the cost of the gun was a nice bonus but didn't really factor into the purchase of the gun. Though it did make me think, if I got a "1 free gun of your choosing coupon" would I carry something different?

How about you? If you could carry anything you wanted without having to worry about cost would you carry something other then what you are carrying now?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

No, I'd probably just carry two of them if money were no option. I'm a huge fan of the .40 S&W, and in my experiences with concealed handguns I've found that for me the Glock 23 fits all of my needs.

Compactness, concealability, and high capacity. Not to mention it's reputation for reliability. I'm pretty happy I got the one bought for the ex last year back in my grubby mitts.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

If money were no issue I'd carry a custom 1911, commander size. Why? Because I like the 1911 very much and find shots are faster and more accurate for me. The thing that keeps me from carrying a 1911 now is the fact that if I were in a situation where I had to fire it in defense, the authorities would take it for their investigation and I don't want to give up a 1911 that is both expensive (compared to say a Glock) and hard to get. I can go out and buy another Glock anywhere, not so with a nice custom or semi-custom 1911.

Not to mention scratches and scuffs from holster time.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Would I carry something differant no. Sig P220, maybe the more modern model or a SAO version. But No still Sig P220.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Rollo,
    I carry a PT145 daily could I afford a higher priced firearm YES....it has the best feel and the most comfortable for me. The $ snobs always crack me up.

Money isn't an issue...

A Glock only costs about $500, which is half the cost of many guns which don't work half as well...

As for your LEO friend, the 709 "Slim" seems to be a fine weapon. I'll be adding one to my collection soon.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

ctm
    Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    Would I carry something differant no. Sig P220, maybe the more modern model or a SAO version. But No still Sig P220.
    SIG P220 for me as well, mine is the newer "Carry" model with DA/SA action.

Although, my new P239 SAS .40 cal might soon replace it.

Don't get me wrong, I like both pieces I carry. Or else I wouldn't have bought them.

BUUUT..
    I new Kimber Pro-Raptor.. Thats a nice gun. OR an Ed Brown
    Kimber Pro-Carry II .45 w/ 230gr Remington Golden Sabers
    Ruger SP101 DAO .357 w/ 125gr Speer Gold Dots

"Try and fail is the manner of losers; try and learn is the way of the strong."

I have bought the guns I want, so more money would not change anything. Sure, I'd buy even more guns, but I have a lot of nice guns in multiple platforms, so I'd just be adding depth.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Probably a tricked out 1911 in a compact platform and single stack.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

How about you? If you could carry anything you wanted without having to worry about cost would you carry something other then what you are carrying now?
    Nope. I'm set.

If money was not a problem I would be carrying a Yost or Rogers Custom Colt 1911.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

If I had an unlimited check book I would be sailing on the sea never touching land.

I'd still have the same gun, for the same reasons as the OP's. It has what I want in a gun.

For the OP,
    If the gun has the features you want and it's reliable then there is no 'better" gun at any price. It's not like a gun that costs twice as much shoots two bullets at a time, one that cost three times as much shoots three and so on. Don't worry about your friends opinion, it's worth what you paid him for it.

I'll bill you for my opinion...lol.

I'd probably still be carrying what I currently have. Hard to beat my Glocks and the LCP is perfect when I absolutely need concealment. I would however add a Sig and 1911 to my collection, but they would probably stay at home for the range. Maybe I'll win the NRA sweepstakes that I sent in today and will have plenty to choose from.
    G23 w/GTL21, G27, Ruger LCP, & Taurus 617 SS
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Member
    VT Class of '96

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links