Para Ordnance P16-40 10mm conversion DONE - Page 2

Para Ordnance P16-40 10mm conversion DONE

This is a discussion on Para Ordnance P16-40 10mm conversion DONE within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry to hear there's failure issues though it does sound like heavier springs would be called for. Do you think a 2 lb. upgrade will ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Para Ordnance P16-40 10mm conversion DONE

Sorry to hear there's failure issues though it does sound like heavier springs would be called for. Do you think a 2 lb. upgrade will make that much difference? Offhand I'd be tempted to order the calibration pack just to be sure you get the one you need, the XP mag springs should help as well. Anything else that could be causing the ftf? Is the feedramp and chamber in good shape? Maybe a burr from the chamber reaming?

Really hope you get the girl running 100%, I've been thinking of a 10mm at some point but Deltas are pricey when found, the Glocks don't fit me well and DW are nowhere to be found locally. I'm thinking either the P16-40 route like you did or an EAA Witness are my best options.
    Jack

I kinda thought the mag springs might have been worn out. I can fit 17 rounds in a 16 round mag with little pursuasion (no gritting teeth).

Others who have done the same have 22# springs in and didn't report any problems with feeding as I do. You would actually be suprised what even 1# will do, especially in a hammerspring. The hammerspring weight has a lot to do with timing in a 1911. The recoil spring doesn't. All it does is return the slide to battery. In Glocks, it affects timing.

I think a calibration pack is in order. I'd hate to order a 22# spring and have the same probs, then order a 24# and have it work. I'd rather just get the calibration kit and be done with it. That way I can tune on the fly. XP mag springs will accompany the order as well. That was actually my first diagnosis. Feed problem= mags. Usually you eliminate things from there.

I will order all the springs, the calib pack and the mag springs, and only use one at a time so I can try to isolate the problem to help others who may wish to do this too. I am not just doing it for me, I am doing this for anyone who wishes to do a Para P16 10mm conversion. My contribution to the 10mm community, I guess.

If you are also on GT and/or 10mmtalk forums, I apologize for the redundancy, but I post the same thing on all of them and answer questions as they come up. Just want all who are interested to have the information they want or need. I have the same username for most of the gun forums, so if you see "freakshow10mm" as a username, it is probably me.

Witness are good for 10mm from what I have heard. Not many complaints from their owners. I think after my Glock 20, a Witness 10mm will be next, or the order switched to Witness then Glock.

I will replace the original FP stop to see if that does anything. Who knows? Every little bit may help. I have 20 rounds left of the Starfires and my dealer still has 6 boxes left and one box of the Blazer 200gr FMJs.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Second range trip today. Wolff +10% mag springs came in yesterday as well as the recoil spring calibration kit.

Installed a 20# recoil after attempting to install a 24# and a 22#. The heavier two were just too difficult to install. Couldn't replace the solid plug. They are a full three inches and change longer than the stock Para spring. Holy crap.

Installed one XP mag spring in the stock Para mag. I was trying to see which was the culprit, the mag spring or the recoil spring or both. If it ran good with the factory mag spring and Wolff 20# recoil, it was recoil spring related. If it worked ok with the +10% mag spring and the Wolff 20# recoil spring then all is good. If it didn't work well with either change, then I was going to throw a hissy fit and cry myself to sleep.

I put 200 rounds through my gun today. All was 200gr Blazer FMJ. I didn't get my replacement order from DT yet. I had two mags, one stock Para mag with the +10% spring and one aftermarket mag with a factory spring that was in it. The gun had the Wolff 20# recoil spring in it as well.

The stock Para mag with the +10% spring ran good, except it ALWAYS FTF at round number 7 out of 17 (I can fit 17 rounds in all my 16rd mags no problem). The aftermarket mag with the stock spring had no stoppages whatsoever. I only had FTF with the +10% mag.

Do you think if I leave them loaded for a while, it may help out? Maybe the mag spring isn't broken in yet.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I'm a bit stumped but it does sound mag related. What's the general reputation of Para's mags? Could be that's the entire problem since the aftermarket one is feeding normally.

As far as the recoil spring problems, are you installing the recoil spring plug last and rotating the bushing in place? If so, that could be a bear to wrestle with a heavy spring. To me it's always been a bit easier to install the slide stop as the last step - the recoil spring isn't under tension when you swing the bushing in place and, assuming you're not using a FLGR, you can use your weight to compress the recoil spring (muzzle down into a pillow or towel on a table and lean into it). Hope that makes sense, just think about how you'd reassemble an auto that doesn't use a bushing ....
    Jack

Usually hear complaints about the Para .45 caliber mags. The .40's not so much if at all. Haven't heard anything over at 1911forum about the 40's. I will install the +10% springs in the 18 round Para w/ A&G I have as well as one of the aftermarket mags. That way I will have a stock spring in a stock mag, a +10% in both a Para and aftermarket mag, and finally an aftermarket mag with standard mag spring. That should take care of every combo.

Now for DT to get here. Having six boxes laying around has me just insane. I want to use them but I am unfortunately erring on the side of caution, as McNett said to do. I raided my dealer's supply of 10mm ammo. He is all out. I told him to get Blazer 200gr FMJs and Win STs too. He said OK. He'll stock pretty much whatever customers want. I will try to talk him into DT if my order gets here and everything checks out. There is only three 10mm guys in the area and I am one of them.

Yes, that is how I am reassembling my Para. Plug in and rotate bushing. That was fun. I'll try the other way you said. Thanks.

The 22# was very, very stiff. Racking the slide the first time was a bear. Then I held the slide stop down and racked the slide back and forth manually and then after ten or so racks, it got easier. Then I decided to put in the 20# and try that first. This one was about 4-5 racks and it was good to go.

I am all out of 10mm ammo. I have to wait for my dealer to get some more in or my DT replacement to arrive. Man, that sucks. That's all the 10mm news I have. Doubletaps with the Blazer is fun.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Put 100 rounds of Double Tap 135gr and 180gr through it on Monday. Ran good. No feeding issues. Runs great, shoots great, carried it yesterday. I am retiring my .357 snubbie to the gun safe.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Sounds like its working out just find did you get the last round FTF fixed or just replace the mag totally
    Im still thinking down the road a ways of getting one and having the barrel reamed out as you did to make a 10mm

its times like this that I wished I didn't spend time on this forum. This is yet another project to add to the wish list. Could you summarize your project so I can write it all down for future use. The project was a great idea, combining 10mm stopping power with a high round count. Thanks for posting.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Ummmmmm, Glock 20 ??????? ---------If ya like Glocks.----------Can't do it in 16 ?? ------

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    Ummmmmm, Glock 20 ??????? ---------If ya like Glocks.----------Can't do it in 16 ?? ------

Got a glock 20 on my hip right now

Besides a 1911 style 10mm has been on my list for a long time

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    The thought of a 10mm,1911 is drempt about by me fairly often now. The Delta Elite's(especially in SS) is kinda "wantable". Don't care for the Dan Wessons,Glocks,EAA's,and some of the others. I saw a nice S&W 610 at the gunshow this past weekend for sale for $550. With that I could also shoot the .40Short&Week.

My buddies AMT Javalina would be desireable with better sights,grips,and a 26-28# spring to handle the recoil of my potential reloads. With the extra 2" of bbl I could really launch 'em. Hmmmmm,...now I wont be able to sleep tonight.

Never had a 10mm, let us known how she shoots.
    frankmako

ya should have jumped on that 610

Sounds like it's finally coming together, glad to hear it. If I did a conversion like that I think I'd prefer single stack just to keep handling characteristics as similar as possible. Actually a P18-9 sounds attractive too ... Soooo many guns, such little cash.
    Jack

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    The thought of a 10mm,1911 is drempt about by me fairly often now. The Delta Elite's(especially in SS) is kinda "wantable". Don't care for the Dan Wessons,Glocks,EAA's,and some of the others. (SNIP)
    I had an EAA Witness 10mm that I traded off for a HK USP.....very soft shooter even with full-power 10mm ammo. I still own my Dan Wesson PTE-EXP 10mm 1911....a great shooter that is very accurate!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links