Para Ordnance P16-40 10mm conversion DONE - Page 3

Para Ordnance P16-40 10mm conversion DONE

This is a discussion on Para Ordnance P16-40 10mm conversion DONE within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bud, the FTF has for the most part gone away. Every once in a while it will show up. I'd run a mag or two ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bud, the FTF has for the most part gone away. Every once in a while it will show up. I'd run a mag or two flawless, then FTF in the middle of the next mag, using the same mag. I am carrying it with the stock mag with +2 extension and two backup aftermarket mags. The one stock 16 round Para mag that gave me the trouble is sitting in my center console loaded. I had to go reliability first. 53 rounds of 10mm Double Tap 180gr XTPs should do the trick.

Recoil is very, very manageable. If you have a Glock 30, run some +P 230gr in it. That is what is like. Granted, this is a 40 ounce unloaded weapon plus 19 rounds of 10mm. I'm guessing it is well over 45 ounces fully loaded. A good belt and holster is needed. I have carried it every day since Monday for at least 9 hours each day and it isn't harsh on the hip. I am 5-10 140#.

Recoil is more perception and grip form than anything else. I can do double tap headshots with either 135gr or 180gr DT loads between a quarter and third of a second, which is pretty decent. More practice will yield better results.

I got a Sony camcorder for a wedding present (got hitched this past Saturday). When I get a tripod for it I will get some vids of the 10mm bark. I am going to do one mag each of 200gr CCI Blazer FMJ practice, Double Tap 135gr JHP @ 1630fps and Double Tap 180gr XTP @ 1380fps. I carry the XTPs, as I am of the penetration school of thought.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Excellent News cant wait for the vid

And congrats on getting married

Congrats on getting married. Get her to the range, best thing I ever did.

Congratulations on the marriage!

VIP Member
    Congrats!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Thanks guys. Definately have a winner. She has shot my G30, .357 snubbie but not the 10mm yet. She is pregnant (not shotgun, just moved the wedding up 3 months so she could still fit in the dress) and isn't feeling up to the range at all. She is about 15 weeks along. We are due Oct 26th. Now with the wedding stuff all done, she can concentrate on being pregnant.

This summer will be her 6 month residency. Then she can and will take training and apply for her carry permit. I have to get her out to look at some guns soon.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Congratulations on the wedding and the li'l shooter too! Hope Mom and baby are doing well.
    Will she be up to taking the permit class this Summer if she's already feeling under the weather? Hope so but you might want to play that by ear.

You're gonna have to post pics when the baby arrives, you know that right?
    Jack

Yup, will post baby freakshow10mm pics. We are due Oct 26th.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Well, good going on the little freaklette!
    Jack

Put another 300 rounds through it. Had some over pressure ammo from DT, about 6 rounds. Stovepiped and blew the mag out the magwell. No damage to gun. Other than that it runs great.

Just got it back from a 5 week trip to the local gunsmith. Cost me $145 total. Total investment is about $1025. I had a EB wide extended thumb safety, memory groove beavertail safety, extended mag release (better leverage for widebody) and Guncrafter Extra Long flat trigger installed. Looks cool. Put two mags through it. Runs good, feels better. Next up is a carry bevel, Novak cuts, Ameriglo Operator sights, and finally Cobra Chrome. I think everything above will be done by Tripp Research. I might give a call over to Bob at Hunter Customs and see what his price and return time is. I'd like to have the chrome job done by Tripp though.

I am going to round off the edges of the trigger so they don't dig into my finger. It will still be flat, but just a little more fingerpad friendly.

I'll try to load up a pic here. I got dial up so be patient. The blue/ stainless isn't permanent, just what it looks like right now before some more work and chrome job. Pics are a little dark. Flash broke on the camera. I will take some better pics later using sunlight. My card is full of pics from the pics for my motorcycle blog I am starting.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Looks like it's coming together nicely, congrats. Hope the wife and expected little one are doing well, Summer heat's no fun for anybody.
    Jack

The Delta Elite's(especially in SS) is kinda "wantable".
    I picked one up a year or so ago. Had a gunsmith add a beavertail safety, extended thumb safety, and Heinie sights. Nice gun.

I've got an old P14-45 that I'd like to get done up as a race gun sometime. Can a P14-45 be changed to .40 cal? And if so, would the .45 mags work? I'm guessing the gun could be changed but I'd need new mags. Unfortunately here in MA it's awful hard to find pre-ban .40 standard capacity mags.

Wow thats a long looking trigger doesn't look very comfortable though

M1911, you will need to switch over the .45ACP spec stuff to 40/10mm stuff. That is ejector, extractor, probably slide. Might be able to get a custom one-off 10mm barrel made with a .45ACP spec breechface. That way you could use the same slide and stuff but just swap out barrels, the external dimension is the same, just bore diameter differs. Also, 40cal Para Ord or aftermarket Mec-Gar mags will work with 40 and 10mm, as they are designed for 10mm.

Maclean3, my wife and little one are doing fine, thanks for asking. A cold front moved through last weekend. Sunday and Monday were highs in the low 50's. Had to get out the sweatshirts. She has it easy so far. Baby Mason looks to be bigger than expected but still leaving the due date the same (10/26). We watched a program about a 14-lb baby and I tease her about it all the time.

I asked the Dr. about shooting 30 rounds for a "training certification" and she said due to the lead vapor and possible birth effects, nope. Have to wait till after she stops breastfeeding as it can be transfered through milk to baby. No carry permit for her for a while.

I think the next step is to get the sights installed, as the one's it has are not NS. Then I think it will be it for a while, at least til after my son is born. My wife lost her job (at 6 months pregnant) and she is waiting on unemployment and it has been almost 5 weeks and no check yet. They give her the run around, dragging their feet.

Bud, this was an experiment. I think the flat triggers just look cool. The Para Ord factory trigger is techinically already a 'long' trigger. This XL trigger from Guncrafter is even longer, as the name implies. It is supposed to be a 'gunsmith special' so it can be turned to fit the user's finger precisely. I told him to fit it, but leave the face as it is. I didn't know how I'd like it. I like it a lot. It looks uncomfortable, but it feels like I have more control over the trigger and it also feels a lot lighter than it is. Double taps have decreased, seems faster now. I'll know more as more rounds go downrange. So far, so good.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Glad the wife and son are doing well, sorry about the job and Gov't run around though. I understand how frustrating it is, Social Security has been giving me crap about my Disability claim since I had to retire in late January '05 ... they already owe me over $30k in backpay and it keeps growing the longer they stall - sure could use that money for bills!
    Jack

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links