HK Reliability

This is a discussion on HK Reliability within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see posts on lots of forums complaining about the fit and function on just about every brand. You know how it goes. Either brand ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HK Reliability

HK Reliability

I see posts on lots of forums complaining about the fit and function on just about every brand. You know how it goes. Either brand X doesn't perform or the finish wears off. No brand is perfect and lemons happen. I'm sure we have alot of HK owners here and I'm one of them. Please list any problems you personally have had with your Hk. I'd like to avoid any "second hand" stories if possible.

Personally I have owned 2 USPc in 9mm V1. I bought both of them used and have never had any issue. I don't have a round count but i'd say i'm over 7k on this one. The finish still looks great.
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

2. Remove Ads

I wouldn't really say its an issue, but the triggers suck in HKs. I used to carry a P2000. I liked the weight of it, although the finish did wear off quickly on some parts, especially the slide and slide stop. After shooting a few sigs i just couldn't go back to the HK.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

My P2000 has not had a single malfunction-ever. The ergonomics are great too with adjustable backstraps, slide cuts minimizing width where it counts, among others.

But, as already been mentioned, the trigger is awful: very heavy on the first pull and modest on the rest with a loooooong reset (I think the first pull is somewhere around 15lbs-no kidding....it's safe though <rolls eyes>.) Unfortunately, there's not much that can be done to make it better mechanically either, and there's no aftermarket configurability accordingly. (Mine is a V3...even the other versions out there have fairly long resets.)

Man, if my P2000 had the trigger pull of my Glock.....of course, if gun wishes came true, I'd have a fleet of polymer-framed P7 double stacks. Alas....

I mostly carry a Glock these days.

C-

I converted my P2000 LEM to the light pull of around 5lbs. It was worth every penny ($10) and I did it myself in my garage. I have been looking at the Glock 19 since I get them at LEO/Military discount.

I have not had any.

I've had HK pistols for years. No problems.
    I also had SA XD's. No problems.

Bersa has the best trigger on any DA semi auto on the market.

But I am a HK guy. I like the one's that I have. I know they work.
    I shoot tem well. To me that's all that counts.
    American Bulldog, HK USPf.45Tac, HK45,
    HK USPc .45ss, SW-642ct, Sig556

(The Phantom Brigade)
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I'm a unabashed HK fan. I've yet to have one malfunction. Complaining about HK triggers is like complaining about ice cream flavors... nobody makes more choices of triggers in pistols than HK. One of the best triggers I've ever used is the HK USP match trigger, found in my Elite.

I've also got two of the standard DA/SA pisols, a USPc and a P2000sk. In over thirty years of CC, I've tried a lot of different guns, although I've only chosen four to carry during that time. Without a doubt the P2000sk is the best CCW I've ever seen. It has it all, and like many HKs you have your choice of three different triggers.

I also have a couple P7s. Of course these are a different animal altogether, but like all the other HKs they are reliable, robust, accurate and simple to use.

There are certainly other great carry guns made. Sig, Glock, S&W, Beretta, etc., but none of these others have put together the complete package that made the pistol "SING" in my hand and deliver absolute reliability.

FWIW: HK has brought in another batch of the P7M8, but alas... I can only dream about it at this time, my "gun fund" being what it is.

The only problem I've ever had with my HK's (2 USP45's, a P7 and a P7M8) is my USP45 would not feed the "Winclean" ammo with the TC design bullet...and, they tend not to lock back on an empty magazine with stock springs...Wolff +10% fixed that.

The P7's have been flawless.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Out of all of the handguns at my disposal I would grab my USPc .45 first as a combat pistol and then my USPc .40 second.

My USPc .40 has the LEM trigger and I just spent a small fortune with HK getting my USPc .45 converted to LEM also.

I love my Sig Sauer P220 dearly but if push comes to shove it's HK for me when it counts.

This is only my opinion and as always YMMV.

Be Safe,

NosaM
    "In a crisis, you will not rise to the occasion, but you will default to the level of your training."

JD
    Administrator
    Another flawless P7 here, the one thing I've seen on the finish on some of the newer guns is that the finish of the small parts wears off, I've seen a couple P30s with gold looking slide releases. Would that keep me from buying one? No.

I have a P7M8 and no malfunctions related to the pistol or original HK magazines. I had a bad aftermarket magazine, might have been a "Pro Mag" don't remember and I got rid of it. It gets hot after more than a hundred rounds. The finish on mine is kind of ugly, purple-ish mottled blue with a mill mark where a logo was removed. I don't care and it doesn't affect the reliability any, someday maybe I'll send it to Ford's for a refinish.

Administrator
    HK builds a great gun, but I wont endorse HK simply because of their tactics on sales and making money. They rape you coming and going. Getting parts is like pulling teeth and I can't stand the "We're HK, we're awesome and we hate you" attitude toward their customers. I have news for you HK, there are other makes out their that are just as reliable, have people that will take care of the customer after the sale and they charge half the price.
    The LE side of things is a little better, but not much.

Anyway, they build a good gun.... the company sucks though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    Sixto,

I just have to ask, how long did it take to figure out that signature?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Sixto,

I just have to ask, how long did it take to figure out that signature?
    I had a long, bad day at work. When I got home, I had a 6 pack and a quiet house. To answer your question, I really dont know. A couple of hours maybe.
    "Just blame Sixto"

You might want to check out pistol-training.com to see Todd G's latest 50,000 round endurance test. This time Todd is testing the H&K P30 and is a follow up to last year's M&P test.

He is currently in week 23 and the last report showed 43,250 rounds fired.

pistol-training.com Blog Archive 2009 50,000 Round Endurance test: HK P30 LEM
    http://pistol-training.com/archives/2004
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

I have an HK USP 9f and it has been flawless for the 4 years and the who knows how many thousands of rounds I have put through it. It has the LEM trigger. I want to switch it to the Light LEM at some point - of course, every time I look for the parts they are unavailable on the market. The one FTF I have had over the past 4 years was due to a magazine jam.

As reliable as the gun has been, I have relegated the HK to a house gun, since I find it too large to conceal except under heavy clothing. All things considered, if I were to buy another pistol the size of the USPf or USPc, I would probably be tempted to go for a Smith and Wesson M&P. The ones I have shot have better triggers than the LEM and fit my hand better (the USPF is a bit too large for my hand) and as a result I am more accurate with M&P's than my HK (though I still easily shoot my HK to COM at self defense ranges). They also cost a hundred's less, but frankly I have always thought that to be a secondary consideration for a SD gun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links